• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Hackster's LSA / T56 2 door

I could install an engine in a car with no wiring or plumbing and it wouldn't look this clean. Amazing works as usual

Did you use a backing shield on the big brake? I'm finding parts now for brake upgrade and was just curious what people were doing. My guess was just tossing it.
Second is shifter location. I read that the Chevy T5s and T56 shifter locations are further back but that's just swapping just transmissions not whole engines.

Are you going to build the three piece wheels to fit around those brakes, or spacers? Just built up some BBS RS 012's, 16 centers stepped up to 17, +11 offset. Pad height on those wheels are an issue, clear stock brakes but not sure about the R brakes. Does the adapter set the caliper back any? R brakes are next on my list -

Thanks for such a kick ass thread -

Hackster build threads make me feel like a Muppet Baby... just pretending and playing.

[skeeter voice]... coming Nanny![/skeeter voice]

Just absolutely insane, clean swap...this would be my dream car! Everything about it...

Thank you very much!!

I second this

Thanks man.

I could install an engine in a car with no wiring or plumbing and it wouldn't look this clean. Amazing works as usual

Its just time and patience and experience. People often ask why I sell stuff I build, its to try and do better on the next one. I think the difference between this car and my blue car will be quite noticeable, its fun to see the progression.

Did you use a backing shield on the big brake? I'm finding parts now for brake upgrade and was just curious what people were doing. My guess was just tossing it.
Second is shifter location. I read that the Chevy T5s and T56 shifter locations are further back but that's just swapping just transmissions not whole engines.

No backing plate, they just hold in heat. If I do anything it will be for holding a brake cooling duct.

I am sure that in the stock location it would be farther back, that is the reason that my engine is a little bit forward, so I could fit the t56 in the stock tunnel. I am not sure about the Chevy T5, I know that they are not the strongest transmission. I have a buddy that put one behind a lm7 and blew it up within a few months. I would not really recommend it if you are going to beat on it.

Are you going to build the three piece wheels to fit around those brakes, or spacers? Just built up some BBS RS 012's, 16 centers stepped up to 17, +11 offset. Pad height on those wheels are an issue, clear stock brakes but not sure about the R brakes. Does the adapter set the caliper back any? R brakes are next on my list -

Thanks for such a kick ass thread -

No problem, appreciate the comments and following along. I am going to build up my wheels, likely 18x10.5 or 11's, 17" centers stepped up to 18's. I am going to have to have high disc in front and low disc in rear to try and get the lip's the same. Wish the rear was a little more narrrow or I could widen the track on the front a little bit, wheels are going to be a challenge.

This car is absolutely insane.

Thank you

Hackster build threads make me feel like a Muppet Baby... just pretending and playing.

[skeeter voice]... coming Nanny![/skeeter voice]

Haha, whatevs. I am just building stuff in my garage. I have nothing more than a few hand tools and a welder, anyone can do this stuff.

Been 2 weekends in a row working on the car, didnt realize how many loose ends needed to be buttoned up in the car. I spent most of the day working out details, completing wiring and plumbing and getting the heater vents installed.

I had a Van, so I had to modify the stock van pedal to work better for my application. I have also learned that accelerator pedal position is key, so I wanted it adjustable for position right to left as well as tilt and in and out. So I chopped off the factory arm and came up with this for my solution.

Multi Position pedal that I can shim up or down and some grippy stuff to keep my foot where it needs to be.

Then I built this arm that attaches through the factory pedal arm, this is all tig welded aluminum and super solid. This is painted with my normal method, three heavy coats of Wrinkle Black and baked at over 100 degrees for an hour. I do this with a cardboard box and a hair dryer....laugh but it works amazingly well.

Finished product

So with that done I kept going on the dash, got a lot done, everything is wired that I have so far. I removed all of the carpet and shampoo'd them with a pressure washer and simple green, its all I have for now for carpet unless someone has a good suggestion for new carpet I am going to make this work.

Cleaned under the floors, installed the shifter and boot and am in the process of running the final wire to the trunk for the fuel pump.

Everything gets loomed, even inside the car.

I am getting close to being able to fire this thing up.....

This is painted with my normal method, three heavy coats of Wrinkle Black and baked at over 100 degrees for an hour. I do this with a cardboard box and a hair dryer....laugh but it works amazingly well..

:nod: I'll put small stuff in the convection toaster oven at 120* for a nice finish.

You guys crack me up. We come up with some serious ingenuity when we are building cars =)

I was surprised how well the carpet and rear seat bottom cleaned up with some purple power and a pressure washer. Gotta figure out either a big heel plate for the drivers area or a new front carpet piece.

Managed to track down the van only accelerator pedal plug that I needed and got it wired into the harness. Note to peeps, Vans have a different plug on them =)

There is not many newer vans in wrecking yards around here. My search took me to the most sketchy wrecking yard I have ever been too. Super nice guys but sketchy. They had some super cool cars in there, stuff you dont see in wrecking yards that are on the beaten path.

Got the emergency brake cables figured out, I am using the Lokar cables for an 8.8 they will adapt easily with the adjusters and everything. Got them in, ran the fuel pump wire up and around the rear seat area.

Threw this stuff back in to see how it would look, it looks so much better just being clean. Cannot wait to get the rest of the interior in. Gotta find some brown parts and pieces though.

Still waiting for rear brakes to show up, driveline is done, just need to pick it up in Portland. Have one wire to terminate and I can check to make sure it turns over and stuff, pull program from ECU so that we can work on programming.

I need to have it able to roll in the next few weeks.

Sean

Got an adapter that I thought would work for the fronts to be able to roll it on my old F100 wheels and tires....nope.

I need a shorter spring combo. Trying to fit this much wheel and tire is going to require every bit of space I can get. Right now the spring and adjuster are below the top of the tire so the tire hits that. I cannot go any lower on the suspension settings or I get into the tire even more. It looks like I need at least an inch shorter spring.

But the wheels and tires actually look pretty good on there. This is a 275 on a 10" wheel. I could easily roll, pull and stretch the fender to clear this wheel and tire.

Its got that meaty look to it, I dig it.

Sean

Quick question--did you have any collision with coil #7 and the brake booster? I can't tell from the pictures.

BTW thanks a lot for all the pictures they're really handy!

Cars look so much better when they get some big tires on.

Yours is looking great.

Thanks!!!

Quick question--did you have any collision with coil #7 and the brake booster? I can't tell from the pictures.

No issues at all with booster to coil. I have tons of room there, even if you slid the mounts back as far as you could I think you would be ok for clearance.

Sean

I have zero issues either. I have to take coil off to get the booster off but thats a 3 minute ordeal. I do wish there was more room between front of oil pan and steering rack with these ls mounts.

Back