• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Duder's Beige Brick - ARUNDL - 1981 242 DL +B230FT

Stuff and things are happening. I'm getting ARUNDL ready to TRUNDL up to Davis, and finally tackling the long list of deferred jobs.

NhDyYYYl.jpg

First up was pulling the radiator to figure out what was up with a persistent leak. I thought I was having a sealing issue at the lower hose, and tried various different hoses, different types of clamps, multiple clamps, all to no avail. It would always send a few drops dribbling down onto the lower radiator mount area. Slow enough that I could drive it, but super annoying. The rad itself is a brass 3-row aftermarket piece, CSF brand I believe. I pulled it out and made up a quick pressure test rig using hose sections, caps, and a bike pump.

9FaoXU8l.jpg

This confirmed there was a leak, or rather 2 of them. Spraying soapy water around I found the passenger side end tank had two problem areas.

NZqWfJYl.jpg

l8tQNS9l.jpg

Remembering I had the original OE Volvo 2-row brass radiator still kicking around, I tested that one too, and found it has several punctured tubes. So I ordered a new cheap aluminum / plastic 240 replacement radiator from Rock Auto. Hopefully that ends the madness.

I may try soldering up the 3-row rad to see if I can salvage it.

With the cooling system open, I figured this would be the best time to rip the dash out and replace the whole HVAC box with one from a '93. I've had this around for a few years, with the plan to upgrade to full '93 spec AC - evaporator, condenser, etc. The correct compressor is already on the engine so this was the next step. The other thing is that this car for the past 10 years (at least) has had a dead blower fan. The whole time I've owned it, no fan whatsoever. I was ready for that to change!

vUjgha4l.jpg

About 2 hours after starting, I was down to this point.

w1Dvar0l.jpg

Old assembly comes out, leaving leaves. Ha.

C4AFsOml.jpg

Cleaned the snork-hole out really well with a shop vac.

rfz4bzZl.jpg

"New" 1993 box out of storage. I pressure tested the heater core and it checked out fine.

yaTdz2vl.jpg

3uA5jKsl.jpg

Cleaned up the evaporator fins, re-glued the big rubber inlet gasket.

eYikm1kl.jpg

S3qrXtQl.jpg

Original vents cleaned - 35 year old cigarette smoke residue is gone.

kvLjEsLl.jpg

It's in! Spending some time cleaning up wire routing now before reinstalling the dash. Should have this all buttoned up in the next day or two, then it's on to more exciting jobs.

dI941Qml.jpg

im02EDvl.jpg

Nice going! Looking at that work makes the back of my throat itch :lol:

Seriously - I have a pretty bad dust allergy too. Will be very nice to enjoy clean-ish air from this thing. Too bad there's no simple way to retrofit a cabin air filter.

Nice job. The interior looks great.

Thanks! Maybe I'll just leave the dash out. Saves a few pounds...it's like free horsepower...

I?m in the middle of putting my dash back together too. Really satisfying to clean out all the ducts and vents. I found a bunch of artifacts, everything from acorns to a movie rental membership card from 91?. Beautiful car.

I?m in the middle of putting my dash back together too. Really satisfying to clean out all the ducts and vents. I found a bunch of artifacts, everything from acorns to a movie rental membership card from 91?. Beautiful car.

Definitely satisfying - thanks!

Hey, Prototipo buddies! Are you going to do any additional moves for the air ducts to seal better?

The dash is back in now but I do still have access to all the ducts. May use some of that aluminum foil tape around the looser junctions and various holes.

The Prototipo is an awesome steering wheel indeed. I'm not sure I could be convinced to use anything else on a future project, I like this one so much.

More exciting stuff. Got my intercooler cleaned out - there wasn't much oil but enough of a film to warrant spraying some simple green in and letting the schmoo drain out. Installed the new aluminum radiator. Found that my compressor outlet to intercooler hose is rotten and cracked; ordering a new one. Found my stash of ABA hose clamps and started using them liberally around the engine bay.

99qNV5sl.jpg

Took the rear suspension apart today; installed the ipd springs I've had kicking around for years, and Bilstein HD dampers. I've also had a set of the ipd adjustable torque rods and panhard rod kicking around, so installed those too. The torque rod poly bushings come from ipd without any lubrication at all, so you have to press the sleeves and bushings out and grease 'em up. I cut some grease retention slot features into the ODs and faces of the bushings, and then made some spiral grooves in the IDs. Hopefully this will help the aqualube grease stay in there a bit longer. The panhard rod bushings were already greased. Just need to adjust the lengths now to get everything centered correctly.

fvS5Zgel.jpg

AUTIXE2l.jpg

My kid came out to the garage to help for a few minutes and learn about springs. She likes crawling under the car to check stuff out. And of course what kid could resist getting behind the wheel and hamming it up?

58fTYenl.jpg

bdKY1DBl.jpg

Lowered rear ride height visible in the last pic above. Now the front is apart; hopefully not for more than a few days.

7pEtQlWl.jpg

Stupid question guys: should I be using some sort of bump stop with Bilstein HD dampers in the front struts, and ipd lowering springs?

The HDs I have came with the blue dust boots, but no bump stops. I have a set of new stock style bump stop / boot combo pieces. I could cut part of the bump stop out of that and use it on the HD.

What have others done here? I'm sure there's some accepted solution for this, but didn't have much luck through searching.

Got it - inverted dampers - thanks! Didn't really consider that but now I have seen the light. Similar to upside-down forks in the motorcycle world. They do that for increased stiffness mainly, I think. Possibly similar benefits with a strut / damper assembly.

Question about the 90 deg oil filter housing. I saw in some early posts you were using it. Did you run custom lines to your oil cooler? Are the any clearance issues between the filter and downpipe?

Update I see you are using the oil to water cooler.

Last edited:
Question about the 90 deg oil filter housing. I saw in some early posts you were using it. Did you run custom lines to your oil cooler? Are the any clearance issues between the filter and downpipe?

Update I see you are using the oil to water cooler.

Yeah, it's the 940 Turbo oil to water cooler that came with the engine. I did need to modify the 940 downpipe a bit to work in the 240, but it still clears the oil filter without any issue.

Spec'd out some wheel adapters with Fearless Fred Goeske at wheeladapter.com, for my old 5Zigen GN+ Subaru wheels. These are 5x100, 17x7.5", with 225s mounted. Wheels are ET48.

I went with 32mm adapter thickness in the front and 34mm in the rear. So my front mounted offset is +16 and rear offset is +14, again on 7.5" wide wheels with 225s. Looks like everything should clear fine but I need to adjust my panhard and torque rods in the rear to center up the axle before declaring total victory.

The wheel center bore diameter is 56.1mm but the 240 hub diameter is 65.1mm, meaning that the adapters had to step down to fit the wheel. The hub only protrudes about 24mm (~1inch) from the front wheel mounting flange so this worked out fine with 32mm adapters. 240 studs are 1/2"x20 and the Subaru wheels are set up for M12 x 1.25.

I highly recommend Fred's services - he worked with me to verify there wouldn't be any issues fitting the wheels or the car, included both sets of lugnuts, and made the adapters the same day I ordered them (Tuesday). Showed up via UPS yesterday at my house.

JIzFOO1l.jpg

pf0DYbbl.jpg

SFxjDmLl.jpg

G1yhgdJl.jpg

61mvFPFl.jpg

9rr7dROl.jpg

Last night I finally tore my stock struts down and installed the HDs and ipd springs, along with new stock style upper mounts for that plushride lyfe. Had to make a special tool out of a 24mm socket and piece of angle iron, but it worked.

IoCzk1zl.jpg

Last edited:
Back