• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Alex's best damn garage in town

Alex Buchka

8 cylinders
I am involved in quite a few projects that aren't really big enough to get their own thread but are still more or less noteworthy. I figured I'd keep this thread updated with what I'm currently working on in the shop if there is any interest in it.

Latest is making up a trans adapter to fit a Whiteblock 5 cylinder on to a transmission from an aircooled VW Vanagon. It's for a 1972 VW Beetle that's been converted in to a rallycross race car. It has a full roll cage, Porsche brakes and suspension, fiberglass widebody fenders, a fiberglass whale tail hood, and a bunch of other goodies.

DSC00167.jpg

The engine in question. This particular one is a normally aspirated 20 valve 2.5l inline 5. Should be somewhere north of 200bhp when it's all together.

DSC00169.jpg

Started off with a rather large piece of 1/2" thick aluminum plate that was previously used to mount a giant electric motor. Used a boring head to make a 50.00mm hole in the center.

DSC00170.jpg

I mounted the crank in the block and used the hole i just drilled in the plate to hang the plate on the crank. With the plate effectively "centered" i could now drill and ream the holes for the locating dowels on the block. Visible are some of the mounting holes already finished.

DSC00171.jpg

I made a fixture to hold the flywheel to a lathe chuck. The big lathe was broken so I had to mill the diameter of the flywheel down with a rotary table and a 25mm carbide endmill.

DSC00172.jpg

Here's the other half of the adapter being rough cut. Cutting 8mm thick steel plate by hand is boring as all hell, especially when it's a circle. The plasma cutter is great for this but the cut can be wobbly and uneven. I drilled a hole and stuck a bolt in the center and used a piece of TIG filler rod as a guide to drag the torch along. Made for a really nice round piece of plate.

Nice work man. I assumed you were going to school there by the way your location flips and had a hunch maybe you were doing some welding/fab stuff school wise. Keep it up, I love seeing how you just **** out the cleanest projects.

Dual citizenship exists between the US and Sweden.....hrm....must learn Swedish!

So it's like you sneeze and money comes out of your nose, right? Or how did you manage to get that super-nice looking work-space and all those machines i would also like to own very much?

I know, money is such a boring subject, let's forget about that. Nice place you got there, and you surely seem to know how to put the machines to good use.

And to answer your question of whether there is interest in threads like this or not: Absolutely! These picture-heavy threads of cool things done are the true gems of this forum. They are an absolute fountain of inspiration and i think that the best ideas regarding fabrication of things or solving some wierdo problems are usually at least initiated by something genius done by someone somewhere.

So yep, keep it coming.

So it's like you sneeze and money comes out of your nose, right? Or how did you manage to get that super-nice looking work-space and all those machines i would also like to own very much?

He does not own them...the school does :)

I know, money is such a boring subject, let's forget about that. Nice place you got there, and you surely seem to know how to put the machines to good use.

And to answer your question of whether there is interest in threads like this or not: Absolutely! These picture-heavy threads of cool things done are the true gems of this forum. They are an absolute fountain of inspiration and i think that the best ideas regarding fabrication of things or solving some wierdo problems are usually at least initiated by something genius done by someone somewhere.

So yep, keep it coming.

you need to start paying higher tuition so the school can get better more modern equipment :)

lets see pics of the car !!!

Back