• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chipping FAQ

Okay I've read through all these pages and I'm not quite sure I have a definitive answer. I have not opened my EZK but I have a 87 745 TI so I don't think its chippable. I do, however, have access to a 94 940 t that is being parted out. Do you think I could pull the EZK from the 940t, chip it, and use it in my 740t with my ECU? Or where there changes from the 700's to 900's electronics I don't know about?

Okay I've read through all these pages and I'm not quite sure I have a definitive answer. I have not opened my EZK but I have a 87 745 TI so I don't think its chippable. I do, however, have access to a 94 940 t that is being parted out. Do you think I could pull the EZK from the 940t, chip it, and use it in my 740t with my ECU? Or where there changes from the 700's to 900's electronics I don't know about?

87 = LH2.2 and EZ117K
94 = LH2.4 and EZ116K

87 = LH2.2 and EZ117K
94 = LH2.4 and EZ116K
Exactly. They are not interchangeable.

You can however swap to LH2.4, but that involves a lot of re-wiring.

The LH2.2 is chippable too you know. The EZK of the LH2.2 system is not though, but most of it can be helped with some static ignition advance (like you might have read in the FAQ) where you just advance the distributor a little bit.

Hey I'm going to use your chips on my B234F+T engine and just going around 350hp for now on LH2.4.
The engine has 9:1 CR (ordered cp pistons for higher performance engine on e85, but i dont think i will run on e85 till i change the EFI) or what do you say? If I can run E85 fine on LH2.4 how big injectors and AMM? 350hp is fine for now

Hey I'm going to use your chips on my B234F+T engine and just going around 350hp for now on LH2.4.
The engine has 9:1 CR (ordered cp pistons for higher performance engine on e85, but i dont think i will run on e85 till i change the EFI) or what do you say? If I can run E85 fine on LH2.4 how big injectors and AMM? 350hp is fine for now
MAke a bigger AMM out of a 016 AMM (so that it gets up to ~3"), or make a slightly larger size out of a 012 (so that it gets to a little bit over 3"). It is a little bit of fiddling though, and you need to match the AMM and injectors properly.

Regarding injectors: At least 668cc/min. Preferrably 788cc/min.

668cc/min goes well together with a 3" 012 AMM. For 788cc/min you should make a custom AMM.

I have the stock 3" AMM from B204FT. so 788cc injectors and 012 amm enlarged to 76mm.
Does the stock fuel system pump enough for this? its a volvo 960

I have the stock 3" AMM from B204FT. so 788cc injectors and 012 amm enlarged to 76mm.
Does the stock fuel system pump enough for this? its a volvo 960
Well... 012 enlarged to 80-ish something mm. The 012 is close to 3" already.

And the single in-tank pump should in theory be able to supply the flow (I think), but it won't sustain it at a higher pressure. So it might not be able to handle high boost since the FPR will raise the pressure too much.

The dual pump system will definitely not be able to handle it.

Either way, replace the pump with a single Walbro, or even better, a Bosch 044.

do i have one or two pumps? its a 92 -960. either way, if i have two pumps do i just replace the one in the tank? does a bosch 044 bolt in easy?

do i have one or two pumps? its a 92 -960. either way, if i have two pumps do i just replace the one in the tank? does a bosch 044 bolt in easy?
I don't know if the 960 has one or two pumps. Check under the car. Under the front left door. You should find a fuel filter there. If there is a pump next to it, you have two.

The 940's from at least 1995 and up (may be earlier as well) have just one pump.

If you have two pumps, you replace both with just a single one. Remove both and install the new one in the tank.

The Walbro is virtually bolt in (a hose clamp or so is the only thing that is needed if you need anything extra at all).

I don't know about the Bosch 044, but it should be the same thing there. Just a hose clamp or two.

Bosch 044 is a in-line pump that flows 200 lph at 5 bar. very good pump. I would take that one over a Walbro, but that is just my (silly) personal preference ;-)
Ah... so that number is for an inline pump then...

What is the number for the in-tank pump then?

I thought at one point there was mention of an 8V NA chip, but the first page still says there isn't one. Seeing that the "bang for your buck" is too small for these chips, what increases were noted as far as horsepower and torque?

You're looking in the wrong thread. There are 8V NA chips available now. I'm enjoying some right now.

klr142, what kind of gains did you see? I did a search for info on the 8V NA chips but turned up the same threads over and over again. Just wondering what kinda numbers to expect if I did purchase them.

I thought at one point there was mention of an 8V NA chip, but the first page still says there isn't one. Seeing that the "bang for your buck" is too small for these chips, what increases were noted as far as horsepower and torque?
They are available. Look at the first post of this thread.

klr142, what kind of gains did you see? I did a search for info on the 8V NA chips but turned up the same threads over and over again. Just wondering what kinda numbers to expect if I did purchase them.
On a stock B230FB/FX you will see a gain of up to 15HP and a lot better driveability. 10HP gain on average I would say.

If it is modified, then you will gain much more. There is more potential in that engine than you think.

A B230F modifed to, or above the B230FB/FX spec, will also gain equally much power of course.

They do work very good on a near stock B230F though. More info will follow in a few days when klr142 is done with the final testing.

It's not just numbers. And, if I told you what I "gained" from any of my mods you wouldn't be doing any of them. But if you drove my car, you might change your mind.

I see a more immediate response when I use the throttle, I use less throttle to go up the same hills, I can overtake faster, the car actually feels like it has some power... "Numbers to expect" is a load of crap, just learn that now. An adjustable cam gear doesn't give you x horsepower, a camshaft doesn't give you x horsepower, an exhaust doesn't give you x horsepower, a larger exhaust doesn't give you x horsepower. You can't take your stock supposed horsepower of 115 and add on 5 for this, 3 for that, 10 for this. Benchracers can, but reality can't unless you are able to do it all on the same dyno, on the same day.

All I can tell you is that my car has never been as fast as it is now. Even when it weighed 100lbs less and had smaller/lighter wheels/tires giving it better gearing.

Sorry. I respond this way because there are too many people trying to tack numbers onto stock that they pick out of thin air, and it's getting annoying because it's all BS. That, and I just dynoed my car 6 days after I dynoed my car with the stock chips, and they reloaded the dyno software and it reads differently now. So much for getting a baseline and doing a test that's about as back to back as it can get with a chip swap. :grrr: Basically another $140 down the drain for nothing.

Out of everything I've done, the chips have made a larger difference than anything else. Except for maybe getting rid of the M cam...

You are doing a great job testing the chips.

And yes, the numbers thrown around are just numbers. They don't tell you how the car feels or how it really performs. The real power increase is from around 20-80% on part throttle, but it will also add quite a lot to what you gain at WOT.

Is there some fuelcut at 960 Turbo?
Because i have problems with cutting at WOT. My setup is stage2 chips, N/A cams, ported head, 2,75" db, 3"cat, td04hl-16t turbo, 420cc injectors and opened airbox with K/N.
Or could it be only cold weather, -10C and colder? There is no fault codes.

Is there some fuelcut at 960 Turbo?
Because i have problems with cutting at WOT. My setup is stage2 chips, N/A cams, ported head, 2,75" db, 3"cat, td04hl-16t turbo, 420cc injectors and opened airbox with K/N.
Or could it be only cold weather, -10C and colder? There is no fault codes.
What engine?

Back