• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

740 Foam insulation under manual shifter part no.

SLT16

Hi Guys,

I have a 1987 740 GLE with the M47 transmission here in Australia.

I am wondering if 740s came with some sort of foam noise insulation under the shifter like the 240s did?

We recently did an AW70L to M47 swap. I never got any sort of insulation for under the shifter. Right now, its just the rubber boot and underneath it is the road.

As a result, there is very noticeable road/motor noise coming from under the shifter, and i don't think this is how they came from the factory as the noise is just ridiculously loud, courtesy of 1 layer of rubber covering the shifter hole.

If anyone has the part number or better yet, willing to sell one, i'd be more than inclined to purchase it from you.

I am wondering if 740s came with some sort of foam noise insulation under the shifter like the 240s did?
Not that I know of. There should be a rectangular bracket on top of the base of the rubber accordion boot flange that clamps it firm to the transmission tunnel with 4 bolts. Then the center console over that, with a leather boot. Is yours missing any of that?

Hi Guys,

I have a 1987 740 GLE with the M47 transmission here in Australia.

We recently did an AW70L to M47 swap. I never got any sort of insulation for under the shifter. Right now, its just the rubber boot and underneath it is the road.

As a result, there is very noticeable road/motor noise coming from under the shifter, and i don't think this is how they came from the factory as the noise is just ridiculously loud, courtesy of 1 layer of rubber covering the shifter hole.

If anyone has the part number or better yet, willing to sell one, i'd be more than inclined to purchase it from you.

At least for the 240s the part is hard to find. The quick and dirty solution is to just cut a hole in the middle of a large sponge (the 2-3 inch thick ones from the hardware store) and use that as insulation. It worked OK on my 240. I did coat the sponge with some of that rubberized spray coating so it wouldn't soak up water and oil down there. Probably not as good as the OEM closed cell foam part but it works.

Not that I know of. There should be a rectangular bracket on top of the base of the rubber accordion boot flange that clamps it firm to the transmission tunnel with 4 bolts. Then the center console over that, with a leather boot. Is yours missing any of that?

I've got the rubber boot around the shifter, and the rubber boot is clamped by a rectangular metal bracket with 4 bolts on each corner to the transmission tunnel. That's all i have.

When i had the auto in the car, there was pretty much zero noise coming from the center console. I think a piece of insulation has to be missing - at highway speeds there is just so much noise coming from the transmission tunnel.

I sprayed some household polyurethane foam underneath the car where the shifter hole is to act as a sound barrier and this worked quite well. However, the foam is extremely squeaky because the shifter vibrates and rubs the foam together and this is driving me nuts!

700's don't use a foam seal AFAIK but there should be a rubber seal under the boot.

http://212.247.61.152/US/main.aspx?page=article&artno=1365840

GR-69352_24.png

Back