• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Did I get a dud tachometer?

StreetForged

I wired up an Ebay tach to my 1990 240DL last night and I couldnt get the needle to move, though the lights worked. It has a red(power?), white(light), black(ground), and green wire(Tach), which I've hooked up in the corresponding way:

-Red wire i tested on both the battery and on what i believe to be the positive post on the coil

-White is spliced onto one of the fuses on the fusebox under the steering wheel, can't remember which

-Black is grounded to a bolt on the chassis near the fuse box

-Green I have tried hooking up to both the blue wires on the coil, and the red and white wire behind the gauge cluster that I believe is for the OEM tach?

I have done some research to get this far, but at this point I'm just assuming the tach itself is a dud. I have installed two of these on other cars before and haven't had this same issue, but I could have done something wrong and figured someone else might have more of a clue than me.

Maybe the tach uses a five volt digital signal instead of the coil switching signal like the stock tach? The white/red inside the dash comes from coil terminal 1 to provide the signal to the tach.

Red is power on your tach? It should go to a switched fuse like fuse 12 or lower.
White? Illumination? should go to one of the wires for the center console lighting.
Black to a good ground.
Green is your signal wire? Then that should connect to the white/red inside the dash. If the tach works with the coil switching signal. Like I said you may need a different tach if it doesn't use that type of signal.

lol that is true. I would just find a stock 240 tach if it were me.

I would have done that but I couldn't find one for less than 100 bucks so I figured whatever, I'll keep the clock and spend 15% of that and get the same feature, but here we are...

Back