• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'91 Oil Cooler Sandwich Plate Torque

bmos

I've been searching through the Volvo 700/900 service manual and Googling but haven't been able to find the torque spec for the large banjo bolt that holds the oil cooler sandwich plate (specifically the right-angle adapter that puts the filter further back in the engine bay) to the block. I installed a new green o-ring in the groove along with a new aluminum crush washer for the bolt but I'm not sure how tight to make it. I could tighten it by feel but I always prefer using a torque wrench when possible.

I tightened it by feel- large alum washer will compress somewhat.
Make sure you install a bracket that ties the cooler adapter to the engine mount bolt- without it the cooler may loosen up.

Make sure you install a bracket that ties the cooler adapter to the engine mount bolt- without it the cooler may loosen up.
Where would I find that? Maybe that's why it started leaking in the first place!

From memory, there are both copper washers and at least 1 large green O rings in that stack.

Change them all while you are in the system. I did find a torque spec years ago.... not very high I recall.

Is your oil cooler's type to air or to water? The tie bracket they use may be different. The late oil-to-water style began in '92 i think and that's what the schematic posted above shows. You said your car is '91.

Is your oil cooler's type to air or to water? The tie bracket they use may be different. The late oil-to-water style began in '92 i think and that's what the schematic posted above shows. You said your car is '91.
Oil to air. There's a mini radiator under the upper radiator hose. I'll attach a picture of the cooler I have.

I don't see any threaded bosses and the folks at the Volvo dealership told me that the part number posted here isn't for my application. Going through the volvopartswebstore diagram for my car reveals a torx screw but not a bracket.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/a5yzKmx"><a href="//imgur.com/a5yzKmx"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The bracket attaches to the threaded hole in the relocation arm and the other end goes under one of the motor mount bracket bolts. The parts guys at your local dealer aren't very sharp.

GR-49667.jpg

Any Idea what the PN is for item #3 in that diagram? When I looked this up volvo didn't list a PN but I believe its an aluminium washer with a 1" ID

UPDATE

I found the PN searching under 1990 740 turbo. the PN is 957189

On a side note would the bracket (1346984) work with this type of oil filter relocating bracket using 240 engine mounts brackets?

Last edited:
Back