• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 1991 240 Wagon Hard Start after sitting a few days?

91VolvoWagon

Not sure what to do....

The symptoms are.

After sitting a few days it has a hard time starting. Usually you have to put the gas pedal to the floor and crank it several times them it will sputter and shake and then finally smooth out after revving a few times. If I try to drive it right away after starting it it will just die. If I let it warm up for 10-20 minutes then it's fine and the next day I usually don't have a problem with the hard start.

Year and a half ago I replaced the fuel pump and filter did not replace the in tank pump. When it starts I can hear the intake pump running. Seems steady and is making a swirling sound. Did the diagnostics with the little blinking lights under the hood and all seemed ok. Cleaned the flame trap air filter is good. Replaced it a few months ago.

I'm no mechanic so I'm hoping maybe you guys might give me some direction on things I can check. All the fuses are good. Also, the dash lights for the battery, service, and one other(I can't remember which one)are flickering when the car is running. Not bright..they are barely lit.

It has a newer battery 2-3 month old. Cleaned all the terminals

I'm just puzzled.

Appreciate any help and direction.

Couple of things I noticed today...The speedometer will bounce around. Example when I put it into park it jumped up to 20mph. Also my SRS warning light is coming on.

Not sure what to do....
Also, the dash lights for the battery, service, and one other(I can't remember which one)are flickering when the car is running. Not bright..they are barely lit.

My flickering lights. Are yours similar?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_GPQ_U91zlDaXlZMVlHYm04aGs

I bought a new brush/regulator assembly for my alternator and it fixed all my electrical issues. (flickering lights and bouncing spedo!) This if you have the bosch 80amp alternator: https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/voltage-regulator-bosch-30091

Yes they are flickering just like yours but are not as bright. I'll test the alternator when I get home.

Thanks....I'll let you know what I find out. I may have a Denso alternator in there. And it looks like you need to replace the whole thing. If that's the case is it worth the extra $35 to get the Bosch?

I've never delt with a denso alternator in a 240 so I can't help there. All I can say is my car's electronics slowly became more and more glitchy and unreliable over time, i.e. hard starts, fuel gauge was not accurate, speedo jumping like mad, occasional sputters & stalls, and flashing idiot lights like in the video. The new regulator on the alternator immediately fixed everything.

Of course I ignored the issues like a dummy until the alternator stopped charging the battery and left me stranded 30 miles away from home :oops:

Intank pump could still pump but you may have a hole in the rubber feed line. FPR may be bad, remove and sniff or check for fuel leak. Could have an interior light delay not going out completely, causing a drain on your battery. check the condition of the brushes on your alternator. If you can solder you can just replace the brushes. check to make sure throttle body is clean. check condition of accordion hose, look for pin holes.

Sometimes you can reach the two phillip screws holding the voltage regulator without having to remove the alternator.

With the car running it's sending 9.9 volts to the battery. It is a Bosch alternator. So I will get the brush kit.

Will I need to take the alternator out?

I was able to do it without pulling the alternator

Sometimes you can reach the two phillip screws holding the voltage regulator without having to remove the alternator.

mine were torx screws, I forget the size though

esmth THANK YOU

I really appreciate your help along with the others.

Pulled the brushes out and one was 1/4 inch tall and the other a little shorter. Will pick up a new one tomorrow.

Mine

http://imgur.com/jneNdIl
jneNdIl

I have them in the right order. car started up and had a loud screechy noise coming from the alternator area. Is this the new brushes??? It went away after 30-40 seconds idling but is still there when you rev the car.

Back