• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Collecting +T parts ECU Dilema

dailywagon

Starting platform is a 1993 Volvo 240 wagon.
Automatic AW70
Factory 951 ECU, and 169 EZK

So far I have purchased:
13c Turbo
90+ Manifold
740 Intercooler
850 Turbo Orange Top Injectors

Just arriving today was a 563 ECU and 148 EZK, well it showed up looking like this:

Now I read that if you want to do a +T swap in stages you can install a Turbo ECU and EZK first. So because of how the box looked I figured I would install them to see if they were damaged like the box (not sure if I should claim insurance with USPS). Now all I did was swapped them out in the brackets (not sure if I should have unhooked the battery, oh well).
It took an second or so longer of cranking than usual, then it started and seemed to idle okay (it lobed up and down a little). I went to rev the car and it hesitated and then didn't want to rev over 1200-1500 rpm. If i work the pedal up and down quickly it will rev up very slowly to 2000-2500. Its sounds like its hitting fuel cut, or like the timing is super retarded. ( i know the turbo ecu will have a more retarded ignition timing vs factory na ecu). I pulled the turbo ECU and EZK out and put my na parts back in, and all is back to normal. starts normal, idles normal and revs normal.

Now I'm left inconclusive...

Are the ECU and EZK junk?
Did I need my orange top injectors installed first?
Did the forums lie to me and I really can't run these ECU's while na?
Should I have unhooked the battery first to "reset" everything?
Or maybe am I dumb and ordered the wrong turbo ECU's for my car?

I've run a 940t ecu and ezk (937 i think?) in my NA car and it seemed a tad bit more sluggish but ran just fine. Also your aw70 wont last very long behind a turbo engine, i'd change that out before slapping the turbo on

I haven't been able to make a stock turbo ecu run on n/a injectors. I'm sure if you put the turbo ecu and ezk in with injectors close to the size they're meant to run it will be fine.

I'd say if the car started with the turbo ECU and EZK they are okay. I wouldn't run it that way. I've done it also to test but I don't run it in the car or even rev it up..

Yeah, I didn't plan on driving around with the turbo ecu and ezk yet. I mainly just wanted to test them to make sure they worked after the shipping damage. Them causing it to not want to rev up worried me because I have heard of people driving na with them. I mean retarded timing and undersized injectors would make sense as to why it wouldn't rev though. Looking forward to getting the last of the +t parts so I can install everything at once.

Hi

If you put in the Turbo injectors and the resistor pack you can run the Turbo ECU+EZK on a NA application just fine. The fuel economy might suffer sligthly but not an issue if you plan to move on with your conversion.
Running Turbo ECU with NA injectors will create super lean running and probably engine damage due to the lack of fuel.

YS
Jaybee

Also, the rough running after swapping ECU's is completely normal in my experience and goes away after a bit of driving and cycling of the ECU. Throw in those 850t injectors, it will take you 10min, then that ECU should be happy and you can go test drive.

Back