• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 Replacing Hard Water Pipe - Red Block

Lazarus

B230F Red Block: I ordered the metal water pipe that goes from the water pump, then around the back of the engine. The rear bolt on the pipe is in an ugly place...can this job be done without removing the exhaust manifold?

Thanks,
Lazarus

It's possible but a pain in the a$$. You'll have to use an open end wrench, sockets won't fit. Easy to remove but can be a real pain to rethread. It's one of those things that can either fall into place or have you screaming. One thing to watch out for is the crank position sensor wire runs down the back of the engine. If it's old there's a good chance you can damage the insulation removing the pipe. If it shorts, no start for you.

I found that a double flex head like the ones Cornwall sells really helped me get in there easily. Could probably get it with a single flex also, or maybe an offset box ended wrench.

Just did this recently on a 240. I failed miserably when I tried to do it with the exhaust pipe and manifold on.

However, I was able to separate the exhaust from the manifold without issue, as well as the manifold heat shield and managed to get it threaded in and tightened up with a ratcheting wrench. I had the tire off as well as the tire for a bit of extra wiggle room.

If you go that route, make sure you cover up the open exhaust pipe. My butterfingers managed to lose the bolt and drop it into the open exhaust.

Just did this recently on a 240. I failed miserably when I tried to do it with the exhaust pipe and manifold on.

However, I was able to separate the exhaust from the manifold without issue, as well as the manifold heat shield and managed to get it threaded in and tightened up with a ratcheting wrench. I had the tire off as well as the tire for a bit of extra wiggle room.

If you go that route, make sure you cover up the open exhaust pipe. My butterfingers managed to lose the bolt and drop it into the open exhaust.

:lol:
been there buddy, know your pain. amazing how times slows down as they fall, giving you enough time to remember how yout hought of covering that hole but decided it wasn't worth the time...

cool3164.jpg

cool3161.jpg

Definitely doable with the exhaust in place, but just be prepared to try it a few times before its situated correctly.

Back