• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Volvo 240 cluster big clock project

Mstrshkbrnnn

So I?m sure everyone is aware of the massive clocks the 240s came with in the dash cluster. I?ve got an extra one and wanted to build a little enclosure for it so that I could wire it up and have it be a bedside clock of something. Was wondering if any of you could give some tips or pointers you may have. Would it be as easy as splicing a lamp cord to the positive and negative pins on the clock?

oh dear god

/\ /\ /\

But yeah. some sort of unused recharger you have laying around would probably work. Look at it carefully, it should say what sort of output it creates. You want DC, something probably in the general vicinity of maybe 5V to 18V? It's probably not terribly picky on voltage. I think it just engages an electromagnet to 'rewind' the clock every once in a while.

It says 12v on the back of the clock. I?m sorry if the question was dumb. I?m assuming household outlets aren?t 12v based on the replies and that the clock is dc so I?ll need some sort of dc plug for it to work?

12V-Wall-Tran-W-880-Res-72_0711-500x332.jpg

Look for one of these with an output of 12v or thereabouts.

Household outlets are 110 - 120 volts. And alternating current, not direct. Think Nikolai Tesla vs. Thomas Edison.

Hooking 110V AC up to it is just going to release the smoke.

It says 12v on the back of the clock. I’m sorry if the question was dumb. I’m assuming household outlets aren’t 12v based on the replies and that the clock is dc so I’ll need some sort of dc plug for it to work?

When RE-PC reopens, go through their bin of 12VDC wall-warts. Alternatively, wire up a couple PX28 battery holders and run it off a couple of those batteries.

For an alarm, use the buzzer from a 1980-83 240. You'll need to figure out a way to add the extra hand and the trigger, so when the clock hits the set time, the "dying cow" starts mooing.

Household outlets are 110 - 120 volts. And alternating current, not direct. Think Nikolai Tesla vs. Thomas Edison.

Hooking 110V AC up to it is just going to release the smoke.

Lucas part number 53043- replacement wiring harness smoke

Back