• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

200-series (wagon?) for stage rally - learn me

I would see repairs as the #1 reason to not do the Wagon. I like them a lot but it doesn't change the fact that it makes for more parts to repair when the off happens. Granted, I don't have any experience on stage rally, however I have been racing on road courses long enough to know that offs will happen, so plan for it.
:bs:

A shell's a shell, twist it up and you're going to have to bend it back and or swap panels.

The wagons have an extra 100 lbs right in the wrong place waaaaaaaaay up and wayyyyyyyyyy out behind the rear axle, so they'll never handle as well as a sedan.

:bs:

A shell's a shell, twist it up and you're going to have to bend it back and or swap panels.

The wagons have an extra 100 lbs right in the wrong place waaaaaaaaay up and wayyyyyyyyyy out behind the rear axle, so they'll never handle as well as a sedan.

Serious question:
what if you chop the roof over the cargo area and build a rally volcamino? At least to help with the weight slung out over the rear axle..

The beer brings the silly questions out at night

I dont see how the wagon will be more trouble replacing a quarter? What are these extra parts that are on a wagon?

And as for the extra weight, that folding rear seat you tear out will ditch a some, then get a 91-93 tail hatch (the only aluminum panel that ever came on a 240), do the 5 rear windows in plastic, and you should be ahead of the game.

There are WRX wagon rallycars out there, they seem to work fine.

I dont see how the wagon will be more trouble replacing a quarter? What are these extra parts that are on a wagon?

And as for the extra weight, that folding rear seat you tear out will ditch a some, then get a 91-93 tail hatch (the only aluminum panel that ever came on a 240), do the 5 rear windows in plastic, and you should be ahead of the game.

There are WRX wagon rallycars out there, they seem to work fine.

Not as many wagons in the wrecking yards, aka... the rally parts depot.

JVL, I think this guy needs to rally a wagon. I mean... he already rawwwwwy-crosses an e30....

OP look in the rally anarchy classifieds for a Volvo that is done right.

With real suspension from Sellholm.
A turbo motor that goes for real.
A Jerico Dogbox.
A 9" ford rear end with 35 spline axles and a spool so that won't fail among other things.
You're not 'Saving money' when suspension built out of rusty old **** and rebuilt struts fail at 110 miles an hour on a gravel road. Ask how I know.

Wagons as ironic statements are for hipsters...
Competition is supposedly about results---even if in the end it's about attaining enlightenment.

Your 100% right. Those ironic statements for hipsters have no place in competition....no sane person would ever enter a competition with a wagon and expect it to be competitive against lighter sedans, with lower center of gravity and less weight behind the rear wheels. ......

.....except perhaps the Factory Volvo Racing Team, Tom Walkinshaw Racing and a former F1 driver.
211721-1000-0.jpg

They never won a single race...but they achieved enlightenment every time they went over the curbs...Best result: 5 times more publicity than all other teams and immortallity!

Who won the competition??? I don't know...but i do remember the car that became 14th overall.

Now it is getting a nicer motor: a nice B230 with JVAB 160mm rods, 8.0 compression and a nice Ford Cosworth turbo, a JVAB steel flywheel, and a Toyota 4-runner 8" rear axle for that nice big margin of safety when want in a car when the entries are over $500,

So yeah he's speaking from experience and he is right. A guy could use a wagon...
There's no point to, there is no advantages to, but people get on weird trips at the drop of a hat every day...weird things like painting the bitchin ally wheels black so they can't be seen (Brilliant!), and ruining cars by lowering them and using springs 3 or 4 times more than their inserts and dampers are valved for, and nobody blinks an eye.

So as always "Like. What evar"

Surely, there are many instances where black wheels do look good. Black on black is about as ugly as black on black crime, but is this?

578143_10150841031404226_707984225_10140490_1193728302_n.jpg

And no doubt it's primary purpose is to look good. And if that's somebodys thing, that's cool. I can appreciate. LOL

BTW, I dig what you said about...

9.4" travel custom valved coilovers mounted at the end of the axle...

Makes me think of the Lotus Elan and that whole well sorted long travel concept. But I believe in compliance over stiffness.

On the weight front, I want to say the tailgate alone weights about 75lbs (at least it seemed like that when I was doing the damn hinges). Soooo, just pull it off. Maybe replace it with a big sheet of lexan if the rules don't let you run with the ass end of your car open. Replace those rear windows with lexan too, and I bet you will have made up the difference right there.

Also, just think of how much easier it will be to weld up that roll cage with completely unimpeded access through the back of the car. There's a +1 for the wagon. :-D

On the weight front, I want to say the tailgate alone weights about 75lbs (at least it seemed like that when I was doing the damn hinges). Soooo, just pull it off. Maybe replace it with a big sheet of lexan if the rules don't let you run with the ass end of your car open. Replace those rear windows with lexan too, and I bet you will have made up the difference right there.

Also, just think of how much easier it will be to weld up that roll cage with completely unimpeded access through the back of the car. There's a +1 for the wagon. :-D

:roll:

It's more than that, one of the floor pan sections is thicker to make up for no cross brace behind the rear seat, not to mention the roof and extra D pillar which is not on a sedan.

Dooooo eeeeeeet! Come join the ranks of the rally tanks!!!

We are a kind and gentle bunch that enjoys making noise and going sideways.

FYI, a nearly bone stock Volvo 240 just placed 1st in open 2wd and 3rd in another 2wd class at Big White Rally. Check it out yo!

Hah, so I still think about this idea every once in a while. But in the end, I didn't go the Volvo route, I just built the e30 for it...

That said, if this car ever gets totally balled up (and what rally car doesn't, eventually?) I still think I'll have to do the 240 wagon, since e30 touring shells are still too hard to get for cheap here!

GqZQ26t.jpg

Back