• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Just Can't Stay Away 1972 142S

looking good. how do those wheels clear the steering? any hard turn rubbing?

what size tires? more pics!

Roger that! I have read that I can just cap the tube from the gas tank with a bosch inline filter and remove the lines and canister.

I finished fitting the 5x7 800lb springs today and my wheels arrived at the same time.

*not my expedition but parking next to it does make the car look even lower.

I plan on ordering rear springs to even out that rake but I wanted to see what it would look like tonight.

looking good. how do those wheels clear the steering? any hard turn rubbing?

what size tires? more pics!

I literally put them on the car and put it in the driveway to snap that before it got dark.

The tires are 205 55 r16

Will post many more photos soon and check for clearance.

Originally the plan was to plastidip them but I like them way more than I anticipated.

I followed No_Sprk's advice (Thanks!!) and had a moment to investigate the Weber after work today.

At the start of the day it would idle barely and either backfire through the carb or die when I applied the throttle.

First I lengthened the throttle linkage so everything was more aligned. Then I followed the idle tuning notes from Weber very closely. After doing this I determined that the idle jet was small and causing it to run lean.

I pulled the primary idle jet and swapped it from a 55 to a 65. It ran a lot better so I swapped the secondary from a 50 to a 55. Then I took it around the block and it ran like an absolute champ.

I'm not sure if the SU HIFs are completely worn out or just poorly adjusted. Part of me wishes I spent more time trying to learn about them before I jumped to the Weber but for the deal I got on it I think I am going to be very happy with a brand new carb.

More goodies arrive tomorrow! It is so relaxing to come home from work and play around with something mechanical for a few hours.

Last edited:
I probably have a few kicking around.

PMd

A few goodies showed up from the Volvo Fairy just in time for 142sday. The wheel will go on after I refresh the tired looking hardware but I got the IPD valve cover on right away. It seems to seal a lot better than the stock one. I also took out the charcoal canister which really cleaned up that side of the engine compartment.

Someone was selling a "Ansa Sport Rear Exhaust" for a 140 on Ebay. I have never seen or heard of such a thing, my fingers are crossed that it is a true Ansa Sport exhaust. Since I needed a new rear muffler I figured I didn't have much to lose. All will be revealed tomorrow.

Alright time for an update.

I got the Ansa exhaust fitted to the car last week. I had to find a reducer to clamp it to my stock rear muffler so it took a while to get the fitment fine tuned.

Speaking of fine tuning, I finally listened to the instructions and advice from people in this thread and plumbed up the coolant to the intake manifold. That, coupled with bumping up the jet one size made the car run awesome throughout the rev range.

The direction for the wheels changed a bit as well. I have always wanted Gotti's since I worked at a Ferrari Dealership right out of University. My General Manager them on his perfect Renault R5 Turbo 2 and I feel in love with both the car and the wheels. Finding a set in 5x108 is very hard and finding a staggered set is even more difficult.

Thanks to my friends I was able to get them swapped onto the car after work today! Here is what it looks like now:

Balla!

So run the coolant line in the winter. I disconnected mine in the summer when it started to ping and diesel (too hot intake air)

Nice! To be honest, i was more intrigued by that room the car is in....

Provoked thoughts. Such as nice garage. Also thought of how it would make a great "Dexter kill room."

tumblr_mstamnDt4q1qef18so1_400.gif

Woah. This thing is sick.

Car is absolutely beautiful.

Thanks Guys!

Nice! To be honest, i was more intrigued by that room the car is in....

Provoked thoughts. Such as nice garage. Also thought of how it would make a great "Dexter kill room."

tumblr_mstamnDt4q1qef18so1_400.gif

I'm lucky to have a garage but it looks nothing like the room in these photos. After helping put the wheels on the car my friends also suggested using this secret room as a backdrop for some photos.

Balla!

So run the coolant line in the winter. I disconnected mine in the summer when it started to ping and diesel (too hot intake air)

Its been in the 80s down here still and it seems to run a lot better with it on. What gas do you use?

That's amazing man!! Really like how it looks! :)

ADam

Thanks!

Nora and I took it to Cars and Coffee in Montecito this morning. It attracted more attention than usual with the new wheels.

I worked on it for most of the afternoon and accomplished the following:

Swapped the primary jet to a 150
Lengthened the throttle linkage rod even more since it was able to reverse with some pressure on it. Much bette now:

Installed a new transmission mount from IPD. Most of the rubber on the car would benefit from being replaced.

Does anyone have some brown Recaros that they want to sell? The blue front seats and brown interior are a little silly.

How's it run with the new jet? I had a problem with the weber linkage not getting WOT.

So you're borrowing the ferrari wheels?

How's it run with the new jet? I had a problem with the weber linkage not getting WOT.

So you're borrowing the ferrari wheels?

It was running really well before the new jet but it would still go a little lean as I rolled into the throttle every once in a while. It was even better on with the 150 when I took it out for a test drive this afternoon. It seems like the more time I spend tuning the carb the better it gets. Since I only ever drove it with the worn out SUs I didn't know how nicely it could run.

No I bought them so , the Gotti wheels will be its forever wheels.

Back