• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Kyle's orphan 220 amazon wagon

They really are. At that engine speed on the highway the torque is there on demand, and plentiful. You can pull up mountains in 5th in this thing if you want.

This is trivial and minor, but FINALLY I got my water temp gauge to work. It reads a little on the high side, but it's good enough for a reference. As pictured is right as the fan cuts on, so if it buries the needle in the red I'll know it's overheating. You can see the work I did to it a few posts up, it's the original gauge gutted with a modern gauge put in. The issue I was originally having was caused by the needle grounding out inside the housing. I fixed that my making a simple spacer, now it works beautifully.

0yLk5yI.jpg

I'm planning on driving this car to Alabama in April for SE, but I've got a few things to do before then:
-Make the tach work right/accurate- DONE
-Service rear axle bushings (I installed one incorrectly apparently, it's rattling.)- DONE
-Wire up oil pressure warning light (sensor already installed.) DONE
-Install second map sensor for constant altitude correction (This thing doesn't really like going over 2500ft without me adding fuel.)
-Wire alternator to allow for control through MSpro. (This will allow me to ditch the voltage regulator and give me a functioning amp light.)
-Improve fuel baffle/accumulator or something. (I baffled the tank but apparently not well enough, maybe I can just shove some fuel cell foam in there.)
-Improve brake pedal feel/new pads. (The greenstuffs kind of suck, so that might fix my problem. If feel still sucks I'll remove some pressure valves and go from there.)
-Pull trans (again), balance clutch & flywheel. (I've still got that shake at ~5500rpm, I want to get rid of it so this thing will scream like it should.)
-Radio. Tunes would be sweet.- DONE
-Replace wobbly wheel, two rear tires.

If I do all this it'll be much more driveable/idiot proof, which is always a good thing.

Last edited:
I'm also working to get some speakers in this thing, although the radio isn't in yet. I bought these pods off of amazon and they worked out pretty well. They didn't come with any means to mount them at all, but I just made some small aluminum brackets for that. The speakers are infinity primus 6.5" components with some rockford tweeters that have integrated crossovers. Planning on getting some black bezels for them as well, I'm not fond of the silver.

I really didn't want to put them in the doors, as I'm hoping to run new OEM style door panels. I think this should sound good enough. I mean you probably won't be able to hear them on the highway anyhow :rofl:.

ucMbuuq.jpg

Notice the passengers is a little low...I installed it and then realized I couldn't match the height on the drivers side due to needing access to the high beam switch :oops:. I'll have to raise that later, but overall I'm pleased.

qjjU7X8.jpg

Last edited:
I don't have any updates really. Waiting on my paycheck so I can buy stuff, and hopefully I can get the trans pulled this week to both balance the clutch/flywheel and fix the case leak. Still checking down that list to get it ready for SE.

Instead here's some pictures of the car at ride height. I dump it pretty much always when it's parked so I don't see it much like this:

kzvpjWa.jpg

qBg6fWZ.jpg

Looking at that I really need to swap front bumpers too, this one is mega bent.

Rolled down to SE this weekend and strapped this thing on Kenny's dyno. Ended up putting out 154hp@5950rpm, and 145tq@4750rpm. Overall I'm pleased. The car runs a lot cleaner out to redline than it did before. I think the general consensus on the result is it ain't bad for a stock n/a engine with like 200k? miles on it. There's also the fact that if it was much faster you'd really have to get serious about redesigning the front suspension and steering geometry to make it controllable, something I haven't really gotten to yet.

NuVqj7C.jpg

hOU9jf3.jpg

Does it just need a good 'stage 0' with some firm poly bushings? I guess the steering box system will never feel quite as good as a rack-n-pinion.

Also, some nice stiff IPD sways do a good job of taking the vintage lean out of cornering, makes it feel a lot more modern.

Does it just need a good 'stage 0' with some firm poly bushings? I guess the steering box system will never feel quite as good as a rack-n-pinion.

Also, some nice stiff IPD sways do a good job of taking the vintage lean out of cornering, makes it feel a lot more modern.

The bushings are all new, though I put rubber ones in for comforts sake.

I've been debating picking up a set of those for sure. The car is stiffer than most 122s with the suspension setup that's on it, but I feel like it could use a bigger bar.

154 at the wheels aint bad at all considering they were rated at 170 at the crank from the factory iirc.

The #OBAMAexpress could use those types of numbers.

Got a chance to drive this thing at SE and I was very impressed how well it rode and how well put together it felt. The motor pulls hard and fells like the perfect amount of power for the car. The motor fits so perfectly in the bay I was amazed. Kyle you did a fantastic job on this thing. You should be proud.

Let me know if you need any help with the bodywork

Will do Mike, I appreciate that. I think the next focus will be getting it a little more comfortable, as good as the car cruises it needs to be much quieter inside. I do intend to clean it up and get some new paint on it at some point for sure though.

154 at the wheels aint bad at all considering they were rated at 170 at the crank from the factory iirc.

The #OBAMAexpress could use those types of numbers.

Yeah the car will definitely get out of it's own way. With that torque curve passing on the highway is possible really any time, downshift or no.

Got a chance to drive this thing at SE and I was very impressed how well it rode and how well put together it felt. The motor pulls hard and fells like the perfect amount of power for the car. The motor fits so perfectly in the bay I was amazed. Kyle you did a fantastic job on this thing. You should be proud.

Let me know if you need any help with the bodywork

Agreed on all points. This thing was a bit of a town bicycle at SE, and the time I spent behind the wheel had me with an ear-to-ear grin. I really love this thing.

Back