• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Superpro Torque Rod Bushing Installation Tips?

morganpartee

Hey folks,

Like the ass I am, I pushed out both bushing races before realizing they fit inside that.

After working that kink out, I tried to press them in, and couldn't get the bushings in without cutting the outside edge of them.

These are what I bought:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/400811701886

Is that the right part? Any advice on getting those bastards in?

92? 940 torque rods if it makes a difference.

Huh, so I've been calling that the wrong thing for a long time.

11221594_10155520310465234_6102456445854586832_n.jpg

I got this far this evening, so I guess it'll go in.

Pretty sure those do NOT reuse the outer shell. Compare the width of the recess in the bushing with the width of the strut rod itself and with the outer shell. I'd put money you're trying to fit it in where it won't fit. Been ages since I did mine, 99% sure it's not inside the OEM bushing outer shell though, just the strut rod end itself. They really don't fight that bad.

Also, for the love of god, grease that thing! Poly NEEDS the grease, that one looks dry. Aside from wear it will squeak as well, and those should have had the grease packet in with them.

Outer shell of old bushing must be out!

The outer shell of old bushing must be out. Putting the PU bushing in is fairly simple, it can probably done by hand, no cutting needed. But beware that you do not try todo that with the steel part already in. When you put the inner bushing in you will notice that the complete PU bushing fits well.

As said before, be generous whith the PU-grease both on the outer side and on the inside, where the steel part fits.

Pretty sure those do NOT reuse the outer shell. Compare the width of the recess in the bushing with the width of the strut rod itself and with the outer shell. I'd put money you're trying to fit it in where it won't fit. Been ages since I did mine, 99% sure it's not inside the OEM bushing outer shell though, just the strut rod end itself. They really don't fight that bad.

Also, for the love of god, grease that thing! Poly NEEDS the grease, that one looks dry. Aside from wear it will squeak as well, and those should have had the grease packet in with them.

I thought the same thing- The shape seems to indicate that. But, without the shell there's a good quarter inch of space on all sides of the bushing.

And yeah, that was the dry end haha. The other side was greased down hard.

The outer shell of old bushing must be out. Putting the PU bushing in is fairly simple, it can probably done by hand, no cutting needed. But beware that you do not try todo that with the steel part already in. When you put the inner bushing in you will notice that the complete PU bushing fits well.

As said before, be generous whith the PU-grease both on the outer side and on the inside, where the steel part fits.

Without the steel part, there's a good 4-5mm on all sides of the bushing- That doesn't seem right!

Just walked out to the car and verified- Even with the sleeve inside, the bushing flops around and is removable by hand. That's not right.

So, I'm thinking I'll press the sleeve even with one edge of the rod, and cut it off even with the rod on the other side. This'll leave the width of the rod, with the ID of the sleeve.

Wait, the bushing ID in the center is 8-10mm smaller than the strut rod without the old outer bushing shell pressed in? Or is the width where the issue is?

If the diameter is that far off, I'd say you have some knockoff aftermarket rod that you're trying to press the bushing into. Never had to cut a sleeve, checked mine last night, there's no old shell there. I know for sure I've not had to cut an outer shell to length before either.

These probably are knockoff rods! I pulled them from the yard because they were so pretty and new looking. My current ones need replaced, so I'm going to try pushing them in to the old shells.

What's the ID of the outer shells? OD of the center of the bushing?

Keep in mind if they are really compressed just sitting in the outer shell, it will be even worse when you press the center sleeve in.

Might be better finding some OEM rods instead, might actually be the correct length as well, if you had any kind of caster issues on the car.

Yeah, I'm going to measure the size and length of them today, and compare them to my stockers.

Couldn't tell you ID/OD, but it seems like the ID is right at (if not a hair smaller) than the OD of the bushings- pretty sure it'll work.

Hmm, that's really odd. Again though, aftermarket parts is highly suspect, with bushings designed for stock parts.

Please do keep this thread updated, in case others contact me about this issue.

Yeah, hard to say. I wonder if maybe I got some old bushings or something?

Success on one side, I pressed the bushing err...race? even with the arm, hacked it off, and now the ends of the bushings poke out like they should.

Shouldn't be an age thing, bushing dimensions should be the same, unless there's some random arms produced.

Sounds like the cut inner sleeve may work though.

Haha no telling. The cut inner seems to work fine, guess time will tell.

Nervous about the other arm now, have to see if I can recover the other inner well enough to work- I kinda borked it pressing it out. Amazing what a 20T press will do.

Just make damn sure you have smooth edges as well after cutting those sleeves. Poly doesn't like sharp edges.

Hopefully it all pans out, or better yet you have an OEM arm on the other side!

Cu6B8ka.jpg

Done and done. Comparison picture there- I think the aftermarket arms just had a bigger bushing. Car feels good I guess? Not a huge difference, but having caster (probably lol) equal is a nice change.

Back