• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chewy's 69 142 Project

Chewy

After stalling out my build on the 242, decided simpler is better. Ended up with a 69 142 in it's place.

Goal is to keep this one a driver and work on a few things at a time. Time is a limited resource for me, so little projects at a time.

Anyway, Goodbye Elsa, hello Inga. (Elsa is off to another turbobricker, aka a good home)
BsJ7czGl.jpg

Seems like an honest ride. Some TLC required, but runs/drives/stops.
B8wI7Y6l.jpg

Drove her around a little bit. Car starts right up, idles great, has some valvetrain noise, and doesnt really pull hard past 3500rpm.

Weekend 1: Do a stage zero, and order any parts needed.
Valve adjust
Plugs
Cap
Rotor
Electronic ignition (pertronix)
Timing
Oil Change
Fix non working parking brake
Swap pads/rotors in back (came with the parts).

Weekend 1 results: :-(
I think Inga needs a camshaft....

I did a valve adjustment trying to find a loose valve as the source of the noise.
Initially set them all to .018", but realized a B20B (pretty sure this is what I have) needs .020 to 022". Got really good at valve adjustments... now they are all set to .020"

I eyeballed all the lifts and thought they were the same. #1 Exhaust looked weird.
Busted out the dial gauge and mag base - measured lifts from the spring retainer on all valves.
"One of these things is not like the other...one of these things just doesnt belong..." :(

Not the most precise tool, but good enough to sniff out a loser :(
lfkmEeSl.jpg

Pardon the penmanship. #1 is way less lift than the other Exhaust valves. Flat lobe? I measured it a few times and it confirmed my eyeball.
".239 valve lift compared to the others ~.34x"
3yyO5BMl.jpg

further discussion here http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?p=5442972#post5442972

So whilst pondering my options there.... amazon/usps dropped off a pertronix ignitor 1.
My Dizzy is a Bosch, Cast Iron, Vac-retard unit.
According to pertronix' website, the 0-231-146-078 Dizzy uses an 1847V unit.
IHWXEljl.jpg

Proof...
h55ksc4l.png

Hmmm....
Right kit, new cap and rotor dont seem to mesh with it. I ordered a brand new Bosch cap and Rotor for a 69 142, and they dont seem to fit.
The Pertronix Magnet seems to sit all the way down, but the rotor sits too high on top, and wont fit under the cap. :O

Also, the pertronix ignitor needs a 3ohm resistance in the primary coil. Mine is 2.93Ohm, wondering if this will suffice?

I've got a call into pertronix to find out....

Brakes.
Inga came with some new (but flash rusted) 0 miles rear rotors and some bosch pads. While pondering the cam and pertronix issues I moved onto the rear.

Not too bad.
v0payMwl.jpg

I've got the right shoes adjusted, so now the parking brake works on that side. Drivers side is proving to be a PITA. Adjusted it per haynes manual (adjust until you cannot move the drum, then back off 4-5 clicks). Pull the ebrake lever and it still spins.

Need to look into this further....

Last edited:
Yes B20B came with the C.

The D cam was originally the rally cam for B18's before they used it with the D jet.

The D cam will be fine with carbs, it'll give it better pull down low, and good top end too.

That's a real bummer about the cam, I always thought the issue was up top. Good news is cams and B series motors are fairly straightforward, and a good cam will really wake up the old girl.

Looks like I've got the cam issue sorted out with Eric @ HiPerformanceAuto. Just seeing if my budget can afford the isky drivetrain parts right now.

Found a pair of steel B30 gears off ebay for a somewhat reasonable price.

Finally got a hold of pertronix.
Right kit, not sure why it doesnt fit under the cap. I did notice the Bosch replacement rotor is taller than what was on there.... might have to trim it some. Verified PN's of the bosch replacement parts and it is right. Pertronix tech suggested that I try using a socket to make sure the magnet wheel is all the way seated.

Pertronix confirmed (after 40 min on hold LOL) a 2.9ohm coil wont fry the ignitor. (Instructions say 3ohm min).

Hopefully this weekend some tear down can commence.

Little bit of progress...

Figured out that my pertronix magnet wheel wasnt seated all the way on the shaft. VOILA! everything now fits. #Imamoron.

These babies arrived. #SteelisReal
vgheaNHl.jpg

Started stripping down the engine in prep for a cam swap last night.
off with the rockers...
7fbVuYEl.jpg

off with the manifolds...and radiator
KQQfwxNl.jpg

Hopefully this weekend all stripped, and clean ready for reassembly the following week.

Bring it on jefe!

Made some progress today.
Got the head off
qEcVsV0l.jpg

timing cover stuff...
KoNbXHgl.jpg

Bores look really good.
Pistons all look pretty good.

Fished all 8 lifters out. I was surprised #1 lifter came out - expected a mushroom, got a chunky one instead.
t6QcLE5l.jpg

While pulling the timing cover, one of the previous owners used silicone of some sort. When the timing cover came off, it peeled off the sump gasket. :-(

Looks like I will just pull the block now so I can put it on a stand and clean it up, and change the sump gasket. That looks like a bitch to do in the car.

While it;s out, Cam swap will be easier too.

And the fun continues.

Pulled the motor in an effort to fix the oil pan gasket that ripped... will likely do other stuff while it's out now lol (exactly what I was trying to avoid).

Ready for some degreasing, some work, and some parts!
dfeeUGC.jpg

Ready for some light cleaning. Maybe some paint?
CaBd7ow.jpg

cannot let this snowball into a ton of projects or $

aaaaaaaaaaand the snowball is gaining momentum :( :( :(

Took a sick day today and wanted to clean up block and trans...
Step 1: Harbor Freight
Degreaser / brushes/ gloves/ plastic
Db5Scxll.jpg

Step 2: scrub.
YbEBzWul.jpg

Onto the motor...
:(

Pulled oil pan... What is that shiny ****?
H5QwhQJl.jpg

Some bearings are obviously toast...:roll:
KkL5hy1l.jpg

Yay me.

Borrowed a 3 jaw puller... got the old cam out.
Confirmed #1 Exhaust lobe is le flat. ~3m shorter than the others.
Also... the cam is "made in usa"
I measure 1.38" - 1.14" base circle. Rockers are ~1.4:1? I got .336" lift at the valve. any idea what cam this WAS?

TqqjIgGl.jpg

ChopZBul.jpg

fSAQJ7vl.jpg

Next step will be to pull the rods and crank to find the dead bearings. Hopefully the journals are all ok :(

Damn! Bummer.

I like this car, and was a bit tempted to buy it and sell my 242 when it was available. But I am so glad I didn't do that, because an engine rebuild would not be in the budget at all for me right now.

I don't remember having to use a puller to get the cam out of the B20 in my old 145. Could that be an Isky cam? Either that or an American cam blank cut to a custom profile?

Hang in there, man. Sorry for the bum luck, but it's going to run so nice when it's fixed.

Damn! Bummer.

I like this car, and was a bit tempted to buy it and sell my 242 when it was available. But I am so glad I didn't do that, because an engine rebuild would not be in the budget at all for me right now.

I don't remember having to use a puller to get the cam out of the B20 in my old 145. Could that be an Isky cam? Either that or an American cam blank cut to a custom profile?

Hang in there, man. Sorry for the bum luck, but it's going to run so nice when it's fixed.

lol, don't want to say you dodged a bullet, but an engine rebuild wasnt in my cards either. :roll::-P

I had to use a puller to get the stock fiber gear off the cam. Not the cam out of the block.

Could be an isky? or an EMC cheapo stock regrind. Hence i was trying to see if someone recognized the lift (i dont have a good way of measuring durtion)

Hanging in there indeed. The rest of the car is decent... just didnt expect this. I have a b21 sitting around, but really want to keep it pushrod.

Now, where to find some cash :|

Back