• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Helping alternator

Matt , if you spent as much time & effort on trying to be of a real help to other members here on TB, as you do following people around on this forum to troll them and posting "because racecar" every chance you think you see it fit, you might actually be considered useful to Turbobricks.:nod:

But let's face it, that is just far too much to expect from you.. :rofl:

i dont care if im useful or not though. i just come here for banter.

Last edited:
i had trouble with alternators on my 760 v8 turbo, the ford alternator position was so close to the turbine that it would heat soak TERRIBLY in traffic on hot days. it was fine going down the road but voltage would drop severely in traffic if the fan came on. the thing is that something like what he made wouldn't have helped because my problem with heat soak was happening when the car wasn't moving. ended up putting a hood vent in over it to solve the issue.

Hood vents in extreme cases will help. At idle the stock units sit at lower voltage, barely enough to support the vehicle, then heat it up to 200+ degrees and the idle output droops severely. My car has a high output unit, I get about 120a at idle available, bug the voltage still drops .5v in traffic once the underhood temps go up and it becomes saturated. That's without a turbo, turbo cars are even worse.

Just a pic of alt cooling hose intake

frontmanja.jpg

If one has 240 with P/S, A/C the 740 alt location swap is a bit involved.

Very clever. Very little weight/cost.

If it didn't work, who cares? But since it did, :rockon:

But wouldn't an external VR achieve the same results?

Because lets face it, it's not an ideal location for an alternator.

I started using one of these on my 242 turbo:
http://www.davebarton.com/AdjustableVoltage.html

Still use one on my 780.

An external VR will help slightly, but the real issue is heat in the rectifier and case.

Adjusting the voltage up will increase the voltage but does nothing for the amperage output of the unit. Cooling the unit will maintain output and reduce the amperage loss from heat soak.

Back