• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

244 b230ft wc t5 trans swap, wacky gearing

Scorpanio240

So I have a 90 244 with b230ft with some mild bolt obs and a stock block and head. Ipd cam, 50. Trim turbo. NPR intercooler, full 3" exhaust, chips, running about 15 psi on a good day. I'm only looking to make around 250-300 who which it seems to do fine. My m47 last years on this astoundingly enough, but I managed to fit myself into a wc t5 with Josh's stage 3 puck clutch and 2 piece shaft for now. Now the issue I'm having is I have to rev the piss out of it to get going then it bogs really hard. Like 1st gear is just way too long. This is a drift car so I really only need 1st and 2nd gear. And so far after about 5 track days I havent even seen 3rd. I'm drifting mainly in first which is kinda inconvient. I'm not 100% but I think I have 3.73 in the rear, it was a true manual car which came with 3.31 but I had to change the gears at one point. I have to recollect to get my tag number off my trans but I know my first gear is a 2.95 which it's pretty long. Now my question is, is putting 4.10 gears in the rear going to help with my super long first gear. I dont care if this thing wont go over 50 mph I just dont want to roast my clutch each time i have to get the thing going. Anyone have good experience with the t5 trans setup? I know mines from a 5.0 fox stand and it is a wc. Please comment!

There is a label on the rear axle just to the left of the differential. It's on the axle housing and will probably be quite dirty. Be sure to clean it with just soapy water so you don't ruin the label.

From your description it seems like you have put another 3.31 in there or maybe it's a 3.54? A 4.10 would probably do well for you and is easy to get. There was also a 3.91 used in these cars and maybe you can find one of those?

<del>The 2.95 first gear was unique to the T5Z motorsport transmission. Most WC T5 transmissions had the 3.35 first gear.</del>

It would really help to know what the tag on your transmission says as well as the sticker on your rear axle.

Yes, a 4.10 rear axle ratio will "shorten" your overall gearing.

Also, many ppl here on the board have successfully converted to the WC T5 and have put many miles on them. The main complaint is that the gearbox rattles, but on a drift car, I don't think that would matter.

Last edited:
Thanks for your swift replys, let me see if i can find a pic of the tag, I have 4.10 gears I got off Ebay from a 242gt I'm going to get installed first and see how that works, if that first gear is still a pain I guess I'll be looking around for a new trans , and I did notice in my studies when getting this trans that it was a "motorsport" trans like a factory upgrade or something.

Thanks for your swift replys, let me see if i can find a pic of the tag, I have 4.10 gears I got off Ebay from a 242gt I'm going to get installed first and see how that works, if that first gear is still a pain I guess I'll be looking around for a new trans , and I did notice in my studies when getting this trans that it was a "motorsport" trans like a factory upgrade or something.

A 2.95 1st with 4.10 FD will be fine. I have a T5z with 4.30 FD and it could stand to be a bit longer.

Can you explain the bog? Does it make boost in first? Does the car make full boost in 2nd?

What size and width tire are you using?

I have a 3.35 wc T5 (stock mustang trans) and 3.73 gears in my 244. I drift entirely in 2nd if it's a small kart track which will see just over 50mph entry speeds. I use 3rd for anything that's over 50+ sustained drift speed, and 4th for 70+.

Can you explain the bog? Does it make boost in first? Does the car make full boost in 2nd?

What size and width tire are you using?

I have a 3.35 wc T5 (stock mustang trans) and 3.73 gears in my 244. I drift entirely in 2nd if it's a small kart track which will see just over 50mph entry speeds. I use 3rd for anything that's over 50+ sustained drift speed, and 4th for 70+.

So the car runs fine once we are moving, but u have to rev it up to like 2k and hold it for a couple seconds while slowly letting the clutch out until I'm up to speed where that gear is initiated if that makes sense. It only bogs when I let it out too quick and it wants to stall because I'm rolling too slow for the rpm and I usually run 205-55 16

You know another easy thing to try is smaller diameter tires. That way you can tell if it helps the bog and gearing all at once.

Just try some stock tires like a 195/60-15. Or a smaller diameter like a 205/55-15 should help give you some more answers. Even some steel wheels with a stock 185/70-14 may help just to check this our. I am presuming you are using something taller than stock with your wheels and tires.

The 2.95 first gear was unique to the T5Z motorsport transmission. Most WC T5 transmissions had the 3.35 first gear.

No, not at all correct..
All GM V8s in USA
All V8 Mustang up to 85my
Mustang V8 SVO
Bazillions of Holdens in OZ
Bazzilions of Fords in OZ
Ford Sierra Cosworth
AMC Jeep C2
TVR Griffith V8

All had the 2.95 gearset..

They just used them with engines that pulled and sensible rear axle ratios...

You know another easy thing to try is smaller diameter tires. That way you can tell if it helps the bog and gearing all at once.

Just try some stock tires like a 195/60-15. Or a smaller diameter like a 205/55-15 should help give you some more answers. Even some steel wheels with a stock 185/70-14 may help just to check this our. I am presuming you are using something taller than stock with your wheels and tires.

I cant really run a smaller tire anymore because of the power and suspension set up I dont get enough grip. I smaller tire would probably help short term but isn't a permanent solution unfortunately

Okay so I have a 1352 249 and according to thos page I do have the t5z trans, but the chart stats a 2.76 first which is even longer now, I thought I found a different chart that showed me 2.95 on this specific trans

http://www.britishv8.org/articles/borg-warner-t5-id-tags.htm

No, go up..That for some reason is reverse gear in the first column..

Your gears are: 2.95 1.94 1.34 1.00 0.63

With that 5th, you could use 4.3; 4.56 even and still have less revs in top gear that a stock mid 80s Volvo on cruise at a given speed.
But 1st thru 4th would be FUN.

Ok, I stand corrected. Thanks for the additional information.

Most times ppl here just talk about the 2.95 and T5Z, but clearly it is not that unique of a 1st gear ratio.

Most people just talk about most things.. whatever else 'everybody" is is saying..

I look up things..

That's why I did a run of 15-16 modified bellhousings --which cost a full 1/3 less than the popular adaptor plates for the Ford boxes that everybody copies from everybody else, so that guys could get GM V8 boxes and get the nicer ratios...And have the shfter better placed, AND be able to use the OEM Volvo 15mm pilot bearing and not pay for some morphodite bushing, or turn the Ford 17mm snout down.

But despite having another 15-16 bellhousings, I opted not to do another run because of the "everybody" says Ford Ford Ford Ford...

I cant really run a smaller tire anymore because of the power and suspension set up I dont get enough grip. I smaller tire would probably help short term but isn't a permanent solution unfortunately

Run WIDER tires for more gripsssssss. Run smaller diameter for better gearing... if that is really your problem.

There's a lot of people that have drifted stock NA volvo 240s with a 3.31 rear end and manual trans. I think you need to look elsewhere on why you're having issues with bogging.

Back