• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

What's my problem?

After looking at the brake booster the other day I haven't had much time to mess with the 264. Well, yesterday I went out just to start it up and let it run. It got hot fast. I popped the hood to take a peak and the front of both heads are wet.
So, what's my problem?

What were the heads wet with? Coolant? Oil? Seems like a compression check would be a good thing to do if it's coolant. Might be blown head gaskets.

From the short little look I got at it, I would say it is coolant. Head gaskets was my thought.
Definitely considering a swap. I've enjoyed learning about this PRV and Bosch fuel system but I'm ready to go back to the engine that made me love Volvos or do something really stupid and put a Cummins in it.

We are doing a Cummins R2.8 swap into a Jeep at the moment, the more we do it the more I am convinced it should have been an LS swap, but the customer wants that for some reason.

FyQWIthl.jpg

My main strategy for PRVs is to drive them until the head blows and then sell them.

Sounds like you're ready for step 2.

Retire the boat anchor and swap something else in. Redblock for the easy, otherwise the world is your oyster. GM 4.3+T?

Yeah... $8k for 180 hp on a pallet (not in the car or even hooked to a transmission). And probably crappy parts availability out on the road. They were pushing that R2.8 pretty hard for a while, but even in my 4Runner (where a diesel like that would probably be fairly well suited) that's still not a very tempting swap.

start it up and let it run. It got hot fast. I popped the hood to take a peak and the front of both heads are wet.
From the short little look I got at it, I would say it is coolant. Head gaskets was my thought.

Wait, both head gaskets failed within a few minutes of each other? Hmmm.

You didn't mention anything about the engine condition, mileage, your experience or repairs with it. Yes, the PRV is a well-known problem child, but still?

If I understand, you fired it up without looking at it, waited until you noticed the gauge reading hot, presumably turned it off and then popped the hood. By this time, it would have spit most of the coolant it had in it. Puddle on the ground? Or dirt floor so ya can't tell? What you're describing could just as easily be a cracked radiator hose that sprayed itself all over the front of the engine and whatever was left evaporated by the time you noticed and looked.

Methinks if you actually wanted the diagnostic effort you asked for, you would have provided more clues. It's intriguing that receiving a bunch of excuses to ditch it didn't seem to phase you, either. :)

So, if that's a confirmation you were quietly hoping for? let us know what power plant you choose for the project you have in mind. Carry on!

Back