• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Staggered wheels??

I'd like to steer this conversation more towards tire selection for staggered wheels. How often are you all running the same width tire front and rear?

Why run staggered wheels to run the same size tire? I have never done that. Seems counterintuitive?

Say it's 16x7 and 16x8. There's certainly a limited tire size selection. Minimal sidewall angle difference when splitting one inch of width on two sides.

Give us an example of what you're running if its counter intuitive. I'm curious to hear your thoughts.

Other than aesthetics, what is the purpose of staggered wheels with the same size tire? On my 245, I run 16x8 all the way around with 225/50r16. Now, if I recall my old sales days, for every 0.5" change in rim width from the tire manufacturer's measuring rim there is 0.2" of change in tire width. From a handling perspective, I would not recommend it as the tires would act differently- bulge on the front, stretched on the rear. That extra 1.0" of rim width is not going to gain 1.0" of tire section width.
Typically one runs staggered wheels to aid in a traction limited scenario- take a 911. It needs wider rims in the rear, but also needs wider tires. You will not change the tire's contact patch with rim width. Substitute, high horsepower whatever car for the 911, and more CONTACT patch is needed on the driven wheels- typically. Some of the newer vehicles are breaking this rule- some Audis and the new Mustang come to mind, but that has come from testing not speculation.
These are my thoughts, accumulated from several years experience, but you are certainly welcome to do what you wish. Seems you are asking for advice for the sake of argument rather than knowledge.

Hey man, all I did was ask "How often are you all running the same width tire front and rear?" I'm sitting on some 16x7 and 16x8 race wheels and I'm looking for input. You said, "seems counterintuitive" and nothing more to add after I asked a question that no-one answered. So, if you had advice, I was asking for it. I'm not buying tires for aesthetics, I'm buying tires for autocross.

Well, maybe I should have asked what benefit do you think would come from running that scenario?
If I had staggered wheels in your sizes it would be 225/50r16 front and 245/50r16 in the rear. As much contact patch as possible with proper fitment to the wheels. Both sizes mentioned where Mustang pony wheel and IROC-Z wheels from the mullet years with decent availability today.

I run 16x8 and 16x9 Epsilons.

Dunlop ZII SS in 225/45/16 rear, 205/50/16 front.

e8CuR2N.jpg

I read your old thread from two years ago. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=317659 One of the autocross wizards of that thread indicated he in fact had the same size tire on staggered wheels. That gives me some confidence heading into the season with the same size front and rear. This also ensures I can run the same model tire.

The wheels I have are et10 5x108 3-pc. Japanese wheels from 1985. This set appears to be ordered for Volvo as the centerbore is correct.

Identical tyres on two different rim widths are going to have different turn in characteristics at the very least, and possibly different ultimate grip levels, too. I'd want them to be similar, personally.

Pushing more rubber out the back is typically because of either:

* more weight out the back that generates more heat and needs more surface area to not overheat when pushed
* more power than a narrower tyre can stomach - same deal with overheating, but also more difficult to spin/keep spinning

OEMs that stagger wheels stagger tyres, thereby keeping the turn in characteristics matched. Eg Porsche or the higher spec FD3S RX7s with 17s.

Ever driven even remotely fast into/through a corner with stiff walled race tyres on the front and sloppy street trash tyres on the back? Pretty entertaining as it suddenly feels like the arse is sliding out :-D

Back