• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Opinion on Catch Can for Improved PCV

Update:

Put 1,000 or so miles with my catch can installed and it's going great. Still have air coming out of the oil fill but seems better and my leaky engine is getting less leaky (front crankshaft seal I'm pretty sure). Also only pulled a teaspoon of yellow milky oil out of the catch can and intake piping is clean.

Also added a 3rd vent to the catch can as PCH suggested. Fitted a 5/8 OD fitting to the block distributor plug (I have cam dist). Im pretty sure this 3rd vent is helping but this vent is spitting oil into my catch can, about 3 or so teaspoons of dark oil in 150 miles.

Any suggestions on reducing the oil coming from the block distributor plug vent?

Thanks as always for any input.

Last edited:
Forgot to mention, from my post #16 update, that the oil coming from the second vent I added to the breather box was remedied by running the hose more vertically off of the barb fitting I added there.

Another update:

I got the crank case vent that I installed off of the block distributor plug to stop puking oil into the catch can by stuffing some stainless steel wool into the hose just off of my fitting from the dist. plug.

hope this isn't a bad idea somehow. I don't really see how the ss wool could get sucked into the block, but if this a possibility please let me know.

PHC: I don't know how your sawed off distributor vent is set up but if you get it up and running and have oil shooting through this may help?

Thanks everyone

No, I don't have the problem with oil spitting out of my vent at all. May be because the distributor housing is basically a pipe that adds to the length of the fitting. It is not routed to the catch can at this time- just has a breather filter on top of the fitting.
I will finish making my catch can this weekend and then see how much oil collects in it.

I tried a cheapo eBay can but it was too restrictive. (Might be fine now that I've cleaned the oil box, but IDK.) This is what I have now:

IMG_20170522_171029_1.jpg

Any other advice?

Hey all,

Looking for some more advice on my CCV situation. I have two vents off of my breather box and another off the block distributor plug running to a catch can getting vacuum from the pre turbo intake and small vacuum line. (Engine bay looks looney at this point)

Breather box and related are clean and unrestricted.

Still have air pumping out of the oil fill hole but PCV seems better and oil leeks are decreasing.

Any opinions for helping improve PCV?

Idea 1) I was thinking of adding another line from the catch can to pre turbo intake?

Idea 2) Also was thinking of using a tee to pull manifold vacuum that already has a check valve on the catch can while keeping the pre turbo intake line?

Sorry for the long and agonizing thread I created, but one more question:

Do you think I have proper PCV while driving at speed versus idle? I ask because there would be a lot more air flow pulling stronger vacuum on the hose to the pre turbo intake.

Thanks for any input and again sorry for subjecting y'all to my woes.

So all three block vents are plumbed to the catch can? And then there's a good sized line (5/8" or so) from catch can to pre-turbo pipe?

Hi and thank you,

Yes, all three block vents go to the catch can with 5/8" hose.

And yes, there is a 5/8" line going from catch can to pre turbo pipe.

Yep, if I hold a rubber glove over the oil filler it inflates.

Do any of my ideas seem like they may help?

I should also note that my last compression test (30K miles ago?) resulted in wet compression raising 15 to 25 psi over dry. Also no piston slap on the motor. If this is relevant to blowby.

Could an obstructed oil separator drain pipe cause increased PCV? Or maybe an obstructed turbo oil drain?

Thanks for the help guys

Sorry to keep bringing this back but am still looking for help/ideas.

So I hooked up a low pressure gauge at the dipstick tube.

At idle there is basically no vacuum or pressure ( less than + 1/2 inches of water or .018 psi)

Giving a little gas but not yet getting into boost I saw up to around +5 inches of water or .18 psi.

I was hoping for some vacuum while driving but got the opposite.

I'm going to check for blockage in the breather box drain tube. However, with this information, does it sound more like excessive blow by due to rings?

Thanks again for any help.

Breather box drain tube seems to be unobstructed. I fished down some wire and was able to pull the wire in and out after passing the bend. No chunks came up with the wire so I'm thinking the drain hose is clear.

So do you all think it's the rings that are my problem?

I've heard of using auto Rx. Any thoughts on this for getting rings to seal?

Should I run another compression test?

Car runs great, pulls hard, idles smoothly. I'm just getting neurotic about having pressure in my crankcase.

No solution to the problem, sorry. I'm just running a catch can with an extra 15mm line I created off the breather box. I tried a third line from both a vented oil cap and using the hole in the block were a distributor would go. Both gave me too many problems but others have had success with these.

I believe my problem just boils down to too much crankcase pressure as a rusult of bad/worn/stuck piston rings. I've been thinking about trying bg 109 to help but this is mostly just wishful thinking.

Sorry I don't have a better story to tell but hope this helps in some way.

An engine that isn't worn out will solve your issues.

+1, on my old b230ft, my glove didnt inflate unless throttle was pushed, but oil was coming out of everywhere...cam seal, oil cap, distributer, REAR MAIN <--- alot came out of there, but literally everywhere it could, it was. I replaced all pcv components and no change in oil leakage. I replaced easy to access seals to see if they would somewhat hold up to the pressure...within miles the leaks came back. So i decided to not reseal it and swap to a freshened up one.

OTOH, I was given suggestions to just reseal top to bottom and keep going, but in my mind to much work for most likeley the same problems.

A few years ago my friends 88 760 with B230ft was blowing the dipstick tube out. It had about 175k miles or so. He didn't use synthetic oil and ran it hard and put it away wet as a daily driver. It lasted a few years and then when the dipstick blowing out started he bailed and moved on to a Dodge Stratus. I felt bad for him making that car choice after having a couple Volvos. :lol:

Back