• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

New Member getting ready to go turbo

Hi
There was some good info in a thread (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=326991) concerning newer multi pintle injectors versus single squirters with a video to back it up. I think I had an idle problem with multi pintle injectors which has gone now I have swapped back to volvo green injectors. I think as long as you use a higher flowing injector with a narrow spray pattern you should be ok.
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm is useful to check the flow of injectors.
I read earlier in your thread that you had a manifold with the cold start injector. Did you also have the fuel rail for this? I have recently acquired one & was going to use the cold start injector take-off to run a fuel pressure gauge.
Tim

Hi
There was some good info in a thread (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=326991) concerning newer multi pintle injectors versus single squirters with a video to back it up. I think I had an idle problem with multi pintle injectors which has gone now I have swapped back to volvo green injectors. I think as long as you use a higher flowing injector with a narrow spray pattern you should be ok.
http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tableifc.htm is useful to check the flow of injectors.
I read earlier in your thread that you had a manifold with the cold start injector. Did you also have the fuel rail for this? I have recently acquired one & was going to use the cold start injector take-off to run a fuel pressure gauge.
Tim

I can't run the greens I need hi ohms. I have decided on "red" 0-280-155-759. Unless someone tell my why not on these or why on another.

Yes I still have the fuel rail and mani. I like the idea of being able to hook up a FPG to it. Wish I would have thought of that before I refinished the one with out...

Those injectors are down as flowing 30lb hr which I think is about the same as the standard turbo ones. They'd be ok for you now but if you decide later to add chips or a bigger throttle body or a manual boost control & up the boost, which, if you're like everyone else here, you will do, you may find they get too small. If you have LH2.4, it will adapt to larger injectors. I'd go with about 40lb hr which would give you a bit of room to "grow". I went to 60lb injectors (with mike's chips; 15g & 3" t/b) which worked fine (apart from the emissions test).
I've soldered the resister pack in & out a couple of times - have now connected it with bullet connectors to make changing it easier.
I think all the usual contributors must still be enjoying their Christmas - or getting over their hangovers - might be best to wait 'til they can chime in.

I may only add a 15g and chip tune. I am not looking for serious HPs, just want to be able to get my trailer up a hill. Smooth idle and drive-ability and my main concerns. My wife drives an xc70 with 224hp and it pulls real well, often times we both have loads and need to bring two vehicles. My 240 just don't have the guts to get up some hills heck it has a hard time with out a trailer. Also here in Maine we don't have emissions just a safety inspection.

Those injectors are down as flowing 30lb hr which I think is about the same as the standard turbo ones. They'd be ok for you now but if you decide later to add chips or a bigger throttle body or a manual boost control & up the boost, which, if you're like everyone else here, you will do, you may find they get too small. If you have LH2.4, it will adapt to larger injectors. I'd go with about 40lb hr which would give you a bit of room to "grow". I went to 60lb injectors (with mike's chips; 15g & 3" t/b) which worked fine (apart from the emissions test).
I've soldered the resister pack in & out a couple of times - have now connected it with bullet connectors to make changing it easier.
I think all the usual contributors must still be enjoying their Christmas - or getting over their hangovers - might be best to wait 'til they can chime in.

I found an issue when using ev6 injectors on the 2.4 lh system. Basically the computers don't speak the same language so a 2.4lh with ev6 injectors will always be rich. I can explain it if you want, but I read enough to know that ev6's won't work for me.

Glad I could ease your mind. I went thru the same "WTF is this thing!?" about 15 years ago regarding that little two wire unit in the intake hose. I measured the resistance across it and it was HUGE so I determined it was a resistor that gets hot and senses NOTHING. It simply gets 12v with the key on. Nothing more, nothing less. IDK where peeps thing a CEL will come from...

Hardest part is drilling the block for the oil return. This has been covered for almost 20 years now here, but I use a professional drill bit and tap and it works. I still have em.

I have been hoping to turbo one of my Bricks too recently, but tools are priority.

This is what $600 gets you from the truck...ouch, but it KICKS ASS. I run it with no muffler and wear my earmuffs!
You win this years prize for the most pointless post. Congrats!

I found an issue when using ev6 injectors on the 2.4 lh system. Basically the computers don't speak the same language so a 2.4lh with ev6 injectors will always be rich. I can explain it if you want, but I read enough to know that ev6's won't work for me.
Never had a problem with EV6's on LH2.4. Would you care to explain?

"The ECU pulse timing between the EV1 and EV6 injectors is different, older EV1 is 200 ms and EV6 is 50 ms response time IIRC. This mis-match in timing results in ~10-15% less fuel delivered for the same injector when used in the EV1 ECU. So a 19 lb/hr drops to 16 lb/ hr flow."

Quoted from information I read here on TB's

I have also heard that going with a multiple spray pattern is not Ideal for for a single valve system, so not going to bother with trying to get fancy with the injectors.

Congrats you won this post troll award, I even took the time to explain things to you and you never come back to talk about it....my guess you were bored that day and just needed to troll.

Yes there is more

Hi Billy , Yeah I have more , was not sure if I was going to be carrying on with no interest so I haven't updated this...Grabbing my morning coffee then will up load some photos and post an update.

Thanks for expressing your interest and super thanks for all your help, This project really went easy thanks to you and its 99% complete.

I'll do smaller replys

The air box.

I wanted an air box that would breather cooler air, so I got some aluminum that I had laying around and cut it to fit. My first attempt was a cardboard mock up so that I could make my cuts using a template. I wanted to make it as tall as I could because I plan on using a large weather strip on the top to seal it with the hood when I shut it. I also wanted to pick up air from the front of the car so I made an air duct that goes from the front of the car to the bottom of the air box. Knowing water can get into the air duct while traveling when its raining I made the air box bottomless but used a piece of rubber to seal the bottom to avoid as much hot air as possible but allow for drainage.

16602597_10211594883683696_3692531444037636687_n.jpg

I am not finished yet at this stage, I have a kink where I want the coolant line to run and only pre-fitting things.

I also had to cut the high pressure hose off the 1992 740 because the way I mounted the inter cooler the oem 740 pipe would not reach.

16508371_10211594885123732_6861178719041485741_n.jpg

Here it what it looks like cut and in place, no coupling yet.

16507861_10211594884803724_3941623808876907973_n.jpg

Installed the 740 coolant bottle and welded the 740 tab on , this was easy, just make sure you get the tab off the donor car like I did.

Enough for now don't want to lose this ...to be continued.

Back to the air box (intake)

Battery tray was easy , just unbolt it and then relocate it to the side, my oem battery clasp still works but I had to cut the tray short to fit the battery, this also required cutting a little of the metal but the high pressure mid air pick up fits nice in there once these things are done. I can still use all the 740's OEM high pressure hoses so I will be getting some nicer ones at a later date from Do88 I got the silicone heather hoses for this 240 from Do88 as well , these seem to be a great quality.

Here it is with the battery tray installed and the air box relocated , the large radiator off the 740 and the inter cooler high pressure lines installed. Also installed the maf and soldered and heat shrank all connections using a harness I got off of another 240 so it looks all stock and un-tampered with unless you know what your looking at. Ran those wires over the engine behind the timing belt. Everything fit and went really well , I am very happy with the out come at this point.

16507829_10211594884243710_9078002497211079549_n.jpg

do88-kit4_3.jpg

I will be getting these for it to, just needed to know it would all work with the oem hoses before buying them ...the other Do88 stuff I got was nice quality not like some of that cheap china junk.

I didn't do anything with the turbo yet , I just wanted to get everything installed, the 740 was a good runner when I got it and I will be upgrading it so to rebuild it would be an un-needed step. it don't have any play or anything so I'll get it running first. I still need to get more T-bolt clamps , rear caliper , windshield, clutch cable , then I can get it running. I will also need some interior pieces and do some more mods to look of the car after I get it all finished up, but Billy you have been great and I thank you a bunch for all the help you gave me. If it were not for people like you willing to help steer me in the right direction it would have not of went so smooth , I can see where a person can fry and ecu or miss an important info real easy with out people like you around, I will make sure to one day pay it forward , and THANKS AGAIN!! Also thanks to the others that have chimed in to help I didn't forget you , just Billy was very prompt and kept me moving along.

I didn't do anything with the turbo yet , I just wanted to get everything installed, the 740 was a good runner when I got it and I will be upgrading it so to rebuild it would be an un-needed step. it don't have any play or anything so I'll get it running first. I still need to get more T-bolt clamps , rear caliper , windshield, clutch cable , then I can get it running. I will also need some interior pieces and do some more mods to look of the car after I get it all finished up, but Billy you have been great and I thank you a bunch for all the help you gave me. If it were not for people like you willing to help steer me in the right direction it would have not of went so smooth , I can see where a person can fry and ecu or miss an important info real easy with out people like you around, I will make sure to one day pay it forward , and THANKS AGAIN!! Also thanks to the others that have chimed in to help I didn't forget you , just Billy was very prompt and kept me moving along.

No problem! I do it because of all of the wonderful experiences and help ive gotten from other volvo freaks!

POst in the want section for hard to get parts http://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

or use https://www.fcpeuro.com/ (they have a lifetime warranty on ALL of their parts)

Also another option is http://row52.com/ you can search for you car at a local yard or find it at aonther one and they have "part pullers" ( junkyard lovers) who will pull stuff for you and send it to you.

You got any more questions or things that you need suggestions on?

No problem! I do it because of all of the wonderful experiences and help ive gotten from other volvo freaks!

POst in the want section for hard to get parts http://forums.turbobricks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

or use https://www.fcpeuro.com/ (they have a lifetime warranty on ALL of their parts)

Also another option is http://row52.com/ you can search for you car at a local yard or find it at aonther one and they have "part pullers" ( junkyard lovers) who will pull stuff for you and send it to you.

You got any more questions or things that you need suggestions on?

I have not had a problem finding parts, I was lucky enough to meet a guy in Arizona that will go to the junk yards and pull parts I need and with a small mark up ship them to me. A few times I had to ask him if it was enough because I could not see how he could go to the junk yard pull the parts I needed and still charge me the price he did.

I have also been using FCP and Eeuro....

16640921_10211606080283604_862323552011490309_n.jpg

As you can see this is not my first volvo .......lol Although the title of the post was titled "new member" getting ready to go "turbo" I have several turbo cars , have just never done a turbo swap.

I say its all the P2's that have kept me broke. But there is not a car in my fleet that needs a timing belt or will be anytime soon, I have got to be an ace on those.

I say its all the P2's that have kept me broke. But there is not a car in my fleet that needs a timing belt or will be anytime soon, I have got to be an ace on those.

Thats big, Im about to tackle the front end suspension on my ladys 2003 v70. Any tips on do the struts and all that jazz?

Back