• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

NOOB---1979 Bolbo 244DL!

Thanks mbolton!!!

After cleaning out the car and discussing this car's future...I have one major question...

SHOULD I RESTORE IT'S GLORY OR SPEED IT UP TO THE CRUSHER???

Neither....put a turbo on it and drive it really fast into the lake of silver.....!!!!!

Will try my best! Thanks Ken!

Putting that aside for just a post, some more pics :-D

029_zps0bf63253.jpg

027_zpsd490c784.jpg

024_zps8daa2a22.jpg

021_zpsa06871aa.jpg

012_zps3a1eb25f.jpg

010_zpsd48b91b5.jpg

006_zps6e9b7281.jpg

005_zps2f59c721.jpg

I REALLY REALLY REALLY love how the quad rounds turned out :)

Thank you Prime240! Trying to invest into this car CAREFULLY not to spend too much on it nor not getting it running properly. Right now, it all comes down to the engine. Run 3 cylinders; continuing to ruin the car, or buy a new (which is pricey)

No you have a whole other car drive it. Pull the motor of 79 and pull it apart and learn how to rebuild it. Then while doing that find a m46 to swap in and all that goes with. Then sell for profit or build engine towards turbo or just N/A and drive the sexy bitch and then build your 86 or what ever who knows.

@84dlwagon
Exactly what I am planning to do! These two cars are so awesome.
The plan would be having the car to be a sleeper...not really koolaid'ed but something that looks REALLY slow, like such a 70's car exterior (original parts), but the mechanics of it is upped! With the B21FT and an M46, this will not be too bad of a 70s car! Also have to find a way to get that hole welded together...After that, it's all maintenance and careful cleansing!

@245Mike
Big thanks to you! The car looks incredibly better and with the help of everyone on here, it's both classic-looking and runs fast!

I for one think your '86 looks good with the quad round headlights. Seems like you took your time and did a good job on the conversion. Whatever floats your boat. It's a super clean car from what I can see, so you'll probably regret any mods less in the future if they are reversible...

I would look for a relatively low mileage B23 or late model '93-'95 B230 in the junkyards for your '79. They are still plentiful - and don't forget to look in 700 and 900 series cars too. You could get a B230FT from a 740 or 940 turbo, complete with ECU/EZK and all the intake, exhaust and smog-related stuff, and do a legal engine swap. You take it to a "BAR referee" and if everything looks stock from the donor car, you get a sticker and the car gets smogged legally. There are a few more restrictions, but that's what I'd do.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

Are you sure it's rod knock and not piston slap? It's pretty common on Volvos and quite harmless.

Dude did you see the video......and its gutless.....only running on 3 cylinders....

Could be a really bad exhaust leak at the manifold? idk kinda hard to tell from cell phone quality video.

the later car with the quads is growing on me, hate to say it.

I for one think your '86 looks good with the quad round headlights. Seems like you took your time and did a good job on the conversion. Whatever floats your boat. It's a super clean car from what I can see, so you'll probably regret any mods less in the future if they are reversible...

I would look for a relatively low mileage B23 or late model '93-'95 B230 in the junkyards for your '79. They are still plentiful - and don't forget to look in 700 and 900 series cars too. You could get a B230FT from a 740 or 940 turbo, complete with ECU/EZK and all the intake, exhaust and smog-related stuff, and do a legal engine swap. You take it to a "BAR referee" and if everything looks stock from the donor car, you get a sticker and the car gets smogged legally. There are a few more restrictions, but that's what I'd do.

http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_barresources/07_autorepair/engine_change_guidelines.html

Thank you, Duder! I appreciate it. The 86 is a bit modded but I didn't rice it or anything; I was just hoping to get it even OLDER than what it really was so you can say oldman'ing a car. For the 79, I am going to need to decide whether or not to get it running...I have been pretty indecisive over the deal, but because of this hesitation, I can be able to weigh out the pros and cons of keeping it...I sometimes have positive thinking and think "hey, I bought a 400 dollar car..." and I completely want the car. Bottomline, it isn't the worst car. A bit of rust here and there, but I can slowly build it...then there goes the negative thinking, where I think "it seems like I SHOULD crush it"...stuff like more insurance bills and I'd have to actually swap the engine and probably put a sum of money down to get it back.

Whether I keep it or not, it is still a hugeee advantage.
Crushing----Money and goodies from the previous owners
Keeping----slowly building knowledge and the car itself within time.

Could be a really bad exhaust leak at the manifold? idk kinda hard to tell from cell phone quality video.

the later car with the quads is growing on me, hate to say it.

Thanks Ansel! As you can see, there's a HUGE difference between the front end, but also a little similarity that can be accepted to people of no knowledge to 240s.
The car runs then dies, and is running on 3 cylinders...probably have to switch out the radiator, hoses, and head itself most likely (or piston, something major like that??). So if I would have to deal with major changes, why not engine swap? Oh wait, money! I will probably just get this thing running, not add a stick shift but an engine first. I just thought it would be cool to do the engine+tranny swap at the same time for "2 birds with 1 stone" type of situation but it's not that simple.

The car will regain it's glory; a beater car glory.
Hopefully I can plop in a K-Jet real soon.
So far here are my ideals to the car:

1. K-Jet engine
2. M46 Transmission
3. A Radio/Cassette player (trying to find the ones off Bertones
4. Thin out/sand the body paint
5. Cover up/Sand flat rust spots
6. PAINT THIS BTCH 1970's ORANGE

This project is starting up very soon...
Got many parts from the good 240240. Thanks again for everything Jeff! Will have to pay you back for all of this good stuff.
The Multi-Xs are off and the 79 stock 14"s are back on but I still really LOVE the look. I have the deeper beauty rings so it gives it a wider look from an angle.

Going to be real and say this car is gonna be a beater 244. Here are some pictures of underneath the car showing the extra rust found. Don't think it'll be too bad, considering it's just parts not the body being rusty.

Back