• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Craigslist adventure v90

hikerguy

So I bought a cheap v90 on CL without taking it for a test drive. "Runs and drives" famous last words.

Anyways it acts like it has no rear suspension, but when I looked underneath it's got what looks like brand new shocks. I'm out of town with it for another week since I bought it while on training.

So my question is can I do anything to help avoid bottoming out for the 3 hour ride home. Also my assumption is that it was a self leveling rear and mis- repaired with normal shocks. Opinions?

It looks to have a small steel leaf along with the glass one. Ipd doesn't show a conversion for my model/year and every vin decoder seems to only tell me it's multi link.

I don't mind buying the kit and shipping it home since I need to order the anti sway bars anyways. Just trying to avoid confusion and extra shipping.

yv1kw9603v1044668

Nice products blkaplan I'll have to check them out. I'm currently under an hour from rockville!

Last edited:
I put brand new oem struts and shocks on my 95 960 wagon (non nivomat model) when I first got it because I was convinced the rears were completely blown. It did not make much of a noticeable difference. I live in the mountains in Vermont, and there are certain roads I just cannot take this car on without running the risk bottoming out. I love everything about my 960 besides the boat like suspension and next to no options for upgrades. I need to make a piggy bank labeled “kaphlenke coilovers fund” and just never touch it untill it’s got enough...

I put brand new oem struts and shocks on my 95 960 wagon (non nivomat model) when I first got it because I was convinced the rears were completely blown. It did not make much of a noticeable difference. I live in the mountains in Vermont, and there are certain roads I just cannot take this car on without running the risk bottoming out. I love everything about my 960 besides the boat like suspension and next to no options for upgrades. I need to make a piggy bank labeled ?kaphlenke coilovers fund? and just never touch it untill it?s got enough...

I had the same experience.... until i put the kaplhenke stuff on.

I don't know what the percentage is of the wagons equipped with the self leveling nivomats, but being a wagon could be someone cheaped out on the shocks not realizing the nivomats where mandatory. Regular shocks will not pump up.

Should you find this to be the case I'll buy the regular shocks. My sedan probably need replaced.

Dm245 that's my current assumption. My 1995 960 just got totalled out because of a very minor front end bump. Can I just bolt that rear assembly in?

It looks to have a small steel leaf along with the glass one. Ipd doesn't show a conversion for my model/year and every vin decoder seems to only tell me it's multi link.

I don't mind buying the kit and shipping it home since I need to order the anti sway bars anyways. Just trying to avoid confusion and extra shipping.

yv1kw9603v1044668

Ipd sells bars for the v90?

Just got off the phone... I'm years to late for the bars, no longer stocked or available

Cc-hays $800 but like every other cheap Volvo the price seems to go up quickly at the parts counter

Dm245 that's my current assumption. My 1995 960 just got totalled out because of a very minor front end bump. Can I just bolt that rear assembly in?

If you're talking about the entire IRS assy ,yes it is just a bolt on. But what I've done is a 96 sedan to a 96 sedan. Same year cars. I'd be sure the 95 is the same as a V90 though. It's a job.

Someone probably put in air shocks to compensate for bad nivomats? The air lines leaked or the shocks may have failed. Or you just need some air. Give it a try.

Cheap air shocks probably wore out. Put some decent shocks on there and see what happens.

Ok so I stopped by HF and bought a 12v air compressor. Surprised how well it worked. I changed it to 110 psi and this feels about 50-60% as stiff as my other v90. Anyone have an idea what kinda psi range these systems normal run?

Back