• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

195/65/15 tire recommendations

N97746

As the title states this is the size tire I'd like to go with on my 240. Seems a bit difficult to find a decent tire for "spirited" primarily warm weather driving in this size.
Anybody using tires in this size they are happy with? Thanks

I'll be putting the tires on a sedan. Not overly concerned about speedometer accuracy, those speed limit signs are more of a suggestion, aren't they? The Kumho TA11 seems to get pretty good reviews but I wonder how it is if you really start to push it a bit. Ideally would like to find a tire that is a bit performance oriented. Many more choices in a 16" diameter, but I'd like to keep a bit of sidewall and keep away from the ricer look.

I have Kumho TA31s on my 940, I think for a non-turbo car you'll find them entirely adequate. If you autocross on them they'll chunk but I take it that's probably not in the cards. They're original equipment on new Kias and Chevy Sonics which may be somewhat reassuring. If you want something actually useful for performance driving you'll likely have to move up to a 205/55/16 or something. I think when I looked these were the most aggressive tires available in that size on Tire Rack.

My 7/945 NA beaters have 185/65-15 and 195/65-15 Hankook Kinergy Ecos as summer tires. Took the 945 to the track and was positively surprised by the tires. A lower profile would be nicer on track for sure, I have 205/55-16 Michelins on my 940 turbo and it's nicer to drive fast (but at higher speed curves that profile also feels to high).

Actually it will read spot on in a 240 sedan since Volvo speedometers are 3% conservative.

Is this for real? And conservative as in the gauge in the car reads higher than the actual speed?

I feel like any time I pass a speed display sign it always says I?m going slightly slower than I think I am (what the gauge is telling me typically reads higher) this is between random Volvo?s not just one single example, and always oe wheels/recommended tire size. Although I don?t know how accurate those road side readings are.

Is this for real? And conservative as in the gauge in the car reads higher than the actual speed?

I feel like any time I pass a speed display sign it always says I’m going slightly slower than I think I am (what the gauge is telling me typically reads higher) this is between random Volvo’s not just one single example, and always oe wheels/recommended tire size. Although I don’t know how accurate those road side readings are.

:nod:

That's correct.

On 140s & 240s yes, grandpa cars IDK.

:e-shrug:

The half dozen or so roadside radar speed boards on 101 on the way to Oregon are all within ~1mph @ 60 of each other.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To answer the OP's question I have some Falken ZIEX 912's on Virgos now that are pretty sticky for all seasons, but they don't / didn't balance out for sheet unlike the Michelins I was running even on wheels that blew zeros.

Last edited:

That's correct.

Interesting, thanks. It always bugged me. I assumed Volvo was inflating your idea of the speed because by nature you drive a bit slower making it a little safer lol

Also only ever had two speeding tickets in 20+ years and both were in a gfs civic (which eventually got traded in for a Volvo of course)

Well after reading the recommendations here and looking at online reviews of different tires, at this point I'm thinking of going with the Vredestein Quatrac 5 in 195/65/15. I had thought about going to a larger wheel to get more options but I'll keep it at 15" for now. The Vredestein should be a good all around tire, able to handle cold weather and even light snow if I get caught out in it.

No perf selection cause thats a light truck tire. Hence the 65 sidewall. Its a good tire size yes, its like the best for a 240 pretty much.

Might as well spring for the Michelin Defenders, get a nice riding tire and seventeen bajillion miles down the road before buying tires again.

Yea the Falkens are soft and sticky but the tread's not deep and they wear down quick.

Counting buying slightly cheap[er] tires, mount and balance twice I'm way upside down compared to the Michelins.

Not all tire brands are created equally. I've noticed that many tires manufactured in Asia appear to be narrower than spec.

Such as Asian 215/60R-15 fitting a 6 inch rim, but 6.25 inch would be a better fit. I've ran 205/60R15 and found them to be a good fit. But this can all depend on the manufacturer.

Not all tire brands are created equally. I've noticed that many tires manufactured in Asia appear to be narrower than spec.

Such as Asian 215/60R-15 fitting a 6 inch rim, but 6.25 inch would be a better fit. I've ran 205/60R15 and found them to be a good fit. But this can all depend on the manufacturer.

Creepy-Condescending-Wonka.jpg

Last edited:
I’m running Michelin Defenders: 195/60R15 on the 93 wagon, 185/70R14 on the 93 sedan. Tremendous tire. Lowest total cost of ownership IMO.

Where did you find those Michelins in that size? Tire rack didn't seem to list them.
As for those 18s. Would do it in a heartbeat but then my speedo wouldn't be accurate. ;-)

Back