home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #251
Broke4speed
Board Member

Today I also learned that there is no cam seal on the intake cam of the B6304S. The cap itself is the seal. That OTP DVD is worth it's weight in gold .

Tomorrow I'll get the cams lined up perfectly, then put the timing belt on. Hopefully I can still work with the door open!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:22 AM   #252
JW240
All idiot, no savant

Nice car, really like what you are doing. Curious how you'll like the difference between Turbo and NA!
I'm happy it isn't that cold here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redwood Chair View Post
Don't forget about properly seasoning it on HF jackstands for a couple years whilst dreaming about big powah 'goals'.
JW240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:48 PM   #253
Broke4speed
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW240 View Post
Nice car, really like what you are doing. Curious how you'll like the difference between Turbo and NA!
I'm happy it isn't that cold here!
Thanks! I'm wondering about that too, especially since this is the largest displacement engine I've ever had in a car. I guess I'll find out . We're in the middle of a melt, so I'm taking advantage of the warmer temps. It'll go back to -20*C-ish next week I'm sure. I've got propane for the heater though, so I'm ready.

Did the timing belt on the B6304 today, which meant making a cam lock tool, because I just don't trust the terrible marks on the cam gears. I ended up being a tooth off (at the crank), but the gears adjusted just enough to bring it back to proper .

Broke4speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #254
Broke4speed
Board Member

I've been plugging away, and it's winter, so progress is slow. I DID get these though...

My Homer mounts have been cut, so next step is rounding up some 960 fluid filled mounts.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:22 PM   #255
Broke4speed
Board Member

I needed a cam seal/plug, but didn't feel like buying the disposible kind. Bought some aluminum stock for cheap from the scrap room at the local metal place, and 'borrowed' time on the metal lathe at work. Good practice, and it's the first thing I've ever really made. Fits pretty good, so now I need to find an appropriately sized O-ring.

Deeworks.ca makes one, and it's waaaaaaaaaaay nicer than mine, but I figured it'd be fun to try .

Old 02-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #256
Broke4speed
Board Member

A shot of the back. I even put in an o-ring groove.

Old 02-21-2018, 04:16 PM   #257
Broke4speed
Board Member

I broke down and bought what I need to make a POI-style TCU. Not sure if I'll do paddles, per se, but there will be buttons somewhere .
Old 02-22-2018, 09:21 PM   #258
Broke4speed
Board Member

Got the board I need to build the POI Paddle Shifter, as well as some transistors. I need to pick up some resistors and then I can start soldering.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:13 PM   #259
Broke4speed
Board Member

Finished my POI Paddle Shift™ controller, added some LEDs to show what solenoid is active (and by default, what gear I'm in), threw it in a project box, added a connector (the smallest one the store had), and done. Not really sure what type of switches I'm going to use, or how I'm going to mount them, but the swap is still a ways off.
Old 02-26-2018, 04:15 PM   #260
Broke4speed
Board Member

A video of the shifter in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ziidkBdp-os
Old 03-04-2018, 03:40 PM   #261
Broke4speed
Board Member

Got a new steering wheel . A Luisi 350mm in the style I like. I love the Momo Montecarlo, but the prices are too high here in Canadia. This one came straight off amazon, from Lithuania, and still arrived in a week.

I've also decided how I'm going to do my shifter buttons. The O/D button will now become the upshift, and I'll use a small momentary switch on the shifter console somewhere for downshift.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #262
Broke4speed
Board Member

Haven't touched the car in a while :(.
I'm going to pull the three-gauge panel and re-install the deck that came with the car. It was originally mounted in the lower cubby, but I prefer the upper since I am using the lower for the AEM water meth controller. I can't stand being without music anymore.

I also grabbed a speed sensor connector today at the scrappers off the lone 740 turbo there. Now I can wire up the 88+ electric speedo and have a working gauge again! My G80 has 48 teeth, and I didn't feel like opening the rear end to cut some out, so I grabbed a pulse divider from a taxi supply company. DIRT cheap and divides by 4 ;).

I also picked some struts off an 82 245 that was there (which is RARE up here). I've stripped them down, pulled the inserts (heat required to remove gland nuts), and will be making some coilovers at some point. Not sure how short I want them, because this isn't a slammed car.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:46 PM   #263
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

You were at standard! That's like 15 minutes from my mom's (just the other side of Richmond). My buddy sent me pictures of both those cars lol. Sad to see them there
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 07:47 PM   #264
Broke4speed
Board Member

You betcha! I checked out both of those cars in the fall, and was surprised to see them still there today. The 740 still has the turbo/manifold/wiring/etc too.
Old 03-31-2018, 10:32 PM   #265
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

I'd nab them but I have 940 turbo stuff for +t-ing
Old 03-31-2018, 10:34 PM   #266
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

The bodywork on the 240 is tempting...I'm not much for 86+ styling, so I could quad-square, coffin-hood, commando bumper-ify my car
Old 04-05-2018, 08:27 AM   #267
Broke4speed
Board Member

Got my stereo hooked up (temporarily, to assess function). I'm also giving up on the electronic speedo conversion, for now.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:27 AM   #268
Broke4speed
Board Member

Partial (pic-free, as usual) update: I still haven't 'plated' my car for the year, so I can't drive it. I am preparing a 'new' daily (2007 Subaru Forester XS) and the damn thing needs a timing belt. There goes my Volvo money, because they don't give those kits away, sigh.

Since I'm not driving it, I'm really tempted to get started on the B6 swap, but I'm worried it will be down all summer if I do. REALLY don't want that to happen.

I'm also being tempted by the Deeworks whiteblock-to-CDxxx adapter...
Old 04-25-2018, 08:37 AM   #269
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
Partial (pic-free, as usual) update: I still haven't 'plated' my car for the year, so I can't drive it. I am preparing a 'new' daily (2007 Subaru Forester XS) and the damn thing needs a timing belt. There goes my Volvo money, because they don't give those kits away, sigh.

Since I'm not driving it, I'm really tempted to get started on the B6 swap, but I'm worried it will be down all summer if I do. REALLY don't want that to happen.

I'm also being tempted by the Deeworks whiteblock-to-CDxxx adapter...

$215 CAD for the complete kit with the water pump on Rock Auto...

1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 12:14 PM   #270
Broke4speed
Board Member

That's the one I ended up ordering. The house needs some electrical work this year, so my car budget is pretty small right now...and that subie money was going to get me the last of the parts for the whiteblock swap as well as my plate sticker.

Ah well, happy wife, happy life.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:32 PM   #271
poulrais
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broke4speed View Post
That's the one I ended up ordering. The house needs some electrical work this year, so my car budget is pretty small right now...and that subie money was going to get me the last of the parts for the whiteblock swap as well as my plate sticker.

Ah well, happy wife, happy life.
I know what you mean... I did my build budget on Excel the other day and almost ended up buying a rope and finding a solid tree branch. I'm in for over $13,000 to get this thing on the road. $4000 of this spent already so I have to find the other $9000 somehow!
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:43 AM   #272
Broke4speed
Board Member

So it's looking like I won't be driving my Volvo this summer, but over the years, I've learned to make lemonade out of lemons. I have 90% of the stuff I need to do the B6304 swap, so I figure I'll get started on that. It's more fun working on the car in the summer anyway .

I should be getting started in the next week or so, once the new daily is up and running.
Old 05-12-2018, 06:47 PM   #273
Broke4speed
Board Member

-New daily on the road, old daily off the road.

Time to do fun things .

Tacked up my Homer mounts. I'll finish-weld them after mocking up the engine/trans. Yes...I know the tacks aren't very deep, but that just makes them easier to grind away if I have to, lol.

Cleaned up my AW30-40e and did the accumulator delete. I need a new gasket, but I will probably just goop it, since it works better (IMO).

Old 05-14-2018, 08:11 PM   #274
Broke4speed
Board Member

Went to the local Metal Supermarket and found two 2 x 3 aluminum slugs that are perfect for my swap. I'm using stock passenger side mounts (no offset stud) on a 2" spacer, as per Homer's info for use with his mount design. I spun them on the lathe at work and bored a hole dead center all the way through, then tapped it for M10x1.5. One side gets the mount, the other side will probably get a stud, which will help lining stuff up when dropping the engine in. Getting close to having everything I need!

Old Today, 03:43 PM   #275
Broke4speed
Board Member

Let the swap begin! This is as far as I wanted to go today, since I still have to make space in the garage for the B21/AW71 while I attend to engine bay cleaning before installing the B6304/AW30-40e.

I also pressure washed the s**t out of my hood. The underside was 100% covered in undercoating and grime, which I hated. I finally had a good reason to take the hood off, so I busted out the degreaser. Not perfect, but waaaaaaaaaaaay better.