home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Old 02-07-2018, 12:37 AM   #26
cosbySweater
Board Member

I will say this, if the car is a daily, a b230f+t, t cam, and 15g is a very fun and drivable combo
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:27 AM   #27
LeedomtoFreedom
Board Member

Quote:
I will say this, if the car is a daily, a b230f+t, t cam, and 15g is a very fun and drivable combo
But what if I want more.
LeedomtoFreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 05:56 AM   #28
K9 240
Board Member

You could always rebuild your 15G with a bigger coldside (20T?) - supposed to be an upgrade.
Tim
K9 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 07:24 AM   #29
Janspeed
Board Member

and you could pay some serious attention to port matching the exhaust side from head to manifold, from manifold to turbine housing, the wastegate port (cost: some good quality diegrinder tools and your own time and input) and offcourse use a nice freeflowing downpipe and exhaust.(at least 2.5") You want to have the biggest pressure drop from manifold to downpipe.
The easier the turbine can get rid of the exhaust gasses, the faster it will spool up. The easier the exhaust gasses can flow into the turbine, the faster it will spool up.
All this detail work will reduce lag and make the turbo spool up quicker and respond to different throttle inputs faster.
Janspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:14 AM   #30
mocambique-amazone
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janspeed View Post
and you could pay some serious attention to port matching the exhaust side from head to manifold,don't do this! from manifold to turbine housing,I have a different opinion too at this point the wastegate port YES!(cost: some good quality diegrinder tools and your own time and input) and offcourse use a nice freeflowing downpipe and exhaust.(at least 2.5")Most important, better a 3" downpipe and cat, after cat 2,5" is enough You want to have the biggest pressure drop from manifold to downpipe.
The easier the turbine can get rid of the exhaust gasses, the faster it will spool up. The easier the exhaust gasses can flow into the turbine, the faster it will spool up.
All this detail work will reduce lag and make the turbo spool up quicker and respond to different throttle inputs faster.

And again, a lot of people think in a other way than I do. And they never did a test on the dyno or the flow bench.
Regards, Kay
mocambique-amazone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #31
Sjeng
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mocambique-amazone View Post
And again, a lot of people think in a other way than I do. And they never did a test on the dyno or the flow bench.
Regards, Kay
So you are saying an un-ported manifold out performed a manifold with ported flanges while all things were kept equal? What was the rest of your engine setup?
Sjeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 08:42 AM   #32
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedomtoFreedom View Post
But what if I want more.
Money, goal, time, knowledge, what do you have?
tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:06 PM   #33
LeedomtoFreedom
Board Member

Quote:
Regards, Kay
I want to hear more from you, what is your theory

Addendum - I have the 3" angled hotside and 3" exhaust all the way from downpipe, all made by me, so you know it's quality
Old 02-07-2018, 12:41 PM   #34
megulon-7
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwdodson88 View Post
Look at t3 flanged gt28s or tial vbanded gt28s. Gotta pay to play, but holyfuk do they just feel good. A buddy ran mitsus for years on his Saab, most recent was a td04hl-16t (Volvo) with an angled flange off a diy t3 log manifold. Spool was great, but in 4th at 1800-2000, you’d stomp on the throttle and get a good 3 count before 18psi was reached. Swapped to a gt2871rs, with a t3>3” vband hot side and now it just feels like it’s loaded with crazy na power. I can get a 1 out before 18psi, sometimes a 2 count.
Truth. If you have a spare $1500 to spend on a turbo, a gt2871rs is the way to go.
megulon-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:50 PM   #35
JohnMc
PV Abuser

I've been really happy with my BW EFR. Super slick and tidy internal WG dual scroll with built in boost control valve and CBV.
'93 245 16VT Classic #1141
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:43 PM   #36
blkaplan
50 shades of beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
I've been really happy with my BW EFR. Super slick and tidy internal WG dual scroll with built in boost control valve and CBV.
they are very nice units.
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #37
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjeng View Post
So you are saying an un-ported manifold out performed a manifold with ported flanges while all things were kept equal? What was the rest of your engine setup?
to a certain extent, this would be expected behavior. if all you do is hog out the area around the flange, what you're doing is creating a balloon in the middle.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 09:43 PM   #38
megulon-7
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnMc View Post
which one?

I was interested in these when they came out, but heard they had issues with the early production...
megulon-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 11:55 PM   #39
LeedomtoFreedom
Board Member

I'm thinking more moderate budget, FAFSA can only pay for so much.
Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM   #40
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
There is almost zero gain from 15G to 16T. I wouldn't waste money on it.
+1! There's what? Barely 50 to 60 CFM difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeedomtoFreedom View Post
When I had the 15g in, it spooled mucho quick. Should I sacrifice spool time for some HP gains?
Depends on what you want, how you want the car to drive, and what you have.

Something that's been known forever is that where the power is can make a vehicle easier to drive/ride quickly. More bottom and and mid-range means you don't have to worry about shifting as much, assuming you have a stick.

If you have an auto and you're not drag racing, a more responsive engine is always the way to go.

OTOH, you can get away with a stick and a larger turbo as you'll have more control over where you are in the rev range.

I prefer a faster spooling setup every time because where and how I like to drive. Country roads, mountain roads, that kind of 5h1t. Rather than having to focus some thought on being in the right gear with a stick, I can focus more on reading the road/situation, line choice, corner entry, and transition back to power.

If you already have a 15g, that's easily upgraded to a 18t, 19t, and even a 22t. Next step up from there if you want more power but would still like some spool (and not break the bank) would be a .48 AR Stg III or Stg V hotside T3/T4.

Yet a third option that everyone here hates is the TD05-12b. Easily built up to a 16g, 18g, and even 20g. They'll knock you because the manifold required is inferior (and it's true) but reported difference in gains was only around 10hp? Not much to worry about and easily accounted for with smart cam choice and the fact that Mitsu G wheels CRUSH those T wheels on the TD04's.

Think about what kind of driving you want to do then go from there and have fun.

Knuth also cites a letter sent to him by Dijkstra, in which the latter adds some nuance to this earlier statements: "Please don't fall into the trap of believing that I am terribly dogmatical about [the go to statement]. I have the uncomfortable feeling that others are making a religion out of it, as if the conceptual problems of programming could be solved by a single trick, by a simple form of coding discipline!"
BDKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:22 AM   #41
JohnMc
PV Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by megulon-7 View Post
which one?

I was interested in these when they came out, but heard they had issues with the early production...
I have a 7064, but it's on a 16V motor. Might go a little smaller on an 8V.

I do know the dual scroll internal WG version (which I have) had some initial issues with the turbine castings. They were supposed to be using investment casting (to make a more precise and lighter housing) but had troubles with quality control - too many rejected castings. There was a delay, and then they started making the version I got which has a conventionally cast housing. I guess a little heavier and not as smooth inside. Still stainless, though.

Last edited by JohnMc; Yesterday at 10:28 AM..
JohnMc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:38 PM   #42
tryingbe
Boosting along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKR View Post
+1! There's what? Barely 50 to 60 CFM difference.
Less.

http://www.stealth316.com/2-3s-compflowmaps.htm

tryingbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM   #43
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryingbe View Post
Less.
Thanx for the memory refresh dude! 7 CFM ain't 5hit!
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #44
white855T
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDKR View Post

If you already have a 15g, that's easily upgraded to a 18t, 19t, and even a 22t.
A 16t chra would be a better starting off point. A 15g would require machining of the chra which isn't cheap. With a 16t chra, you could easily upgrade to an 18t or even to a 19t with conversion wheel(which won't require machining of chra). The 19t conversion wheel is available from ARD or Kinugawa. If you did go to a 22t, that would require machining of the chra.

http://turbobricks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=301654
white855T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:44 PM   #45
BDKR
Section 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by white855T View Post
A 16t chra would be a better starting off point. A 15g would require machining of the chra which isn't cheap. With a 16t chra, you could easily upgrade to an 18t or even to a 19t with conversion wheel(which won't require machining of chra). The 19t conversion wheel is available from ARD or Kinugawa. If you did go to a 22t, that would require machining of the chra.
That's true!

When I said upgrade, I was talking about buying CHRA, wheels, and compressor housing. Something like...

http://shopping.kinugawaturbo.com/tu...monster-1.aspx

I'll be more clear in the future.