home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-12-2018, 10:45 PM   #551
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
What's so hard about the upper arms?
FYI, I'm currently eating these words. Getting the upper bushings back in is a nightmare. The only thing I can think to try is cutting a section of pipe that will span the inner faces of the bushing surfaces, then notching it to fit over the spindle that has to be there. Otherwise you're just flexing the control arm instead of pushing the second bushing in. I recommend never doing the uppers.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:28 AM   #552
Coupid
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfrasca View Post
FYI, I'm currently eating these words. Getting the upper bushings back in is a nightmare. The only thing I can think to try is cutting a section of pipe that will span the inner faces of the bushing surfaces, then notching it to fit over the spindle that has to be there. Otherwise you're just flexing the control arm instead of pushing the second bushing in. I recommend never doing the uppers.
Thanks for the confirmation. I really might not do them. The lowers were 1000x worse looking but I have to take off the upper control arms to do the upper ball joints...

1991 780 Sold
1979 244DL Sold
1986 740+T Sold
1983 242T Sold
Coupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:01 AM   #553
Tfrasca
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coupid View Post
Thanks for the confirmation. I really might not do them. The lowers were 1000x worse looking but I have to take off the upper control arms to do the upper ball joints...
Interesting. My lowers actually looked alright, but the uppers were dry rotted and the rubber literally crumbled out. But if your uppers look ok, just skip the bushings. You can pull the arm and leave the bushings intact.
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:38 AM   #554
sksmith
Board Member

They were a PITA, for sure, but if you can do the lower's, you can do the uppers.
If I recall, I did get a kit for doing uppers. They are like older GM's, with the a-arm shaft.
Dangerkitty, I'm surprised that the shop didn't have the shims. Again, they look like the shims on my old Buick Wildcat, which are standard old shims. Hell, Harbor Freight sells a kit with several sizes.
Steve
sksmith is offline   Reply With Quote