home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #351
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Default A/C reconstruction in winter

Yep, as the schedule would have it. Been busy in the last week with all the missing lines and O-rings collected for the R134a system.

Quickly (as I'm hitting the road to tow my sons blown HG 745 4 hours back to GA ) some of the details.

Comparison of my original '92 ZEXEL compressor, and the new SELTEC compressor (this style fits the 92-93 7/9s, maybe also the 91s). Note the funky twisted "suction line" which is required:

Spent an incredibly long time transplanting all the Volvo cadmium plated mounts & fasteners, hose line clamps, to the new compressor. All in all it was a royal PITA, but we must recall these compressors aren't brand specific and that Volvo had to design the mounting system. With the compressor set in place and a fresh set of IPD poly mounts to stop the dreaded belt squeal when the OEM stuff invariably begins to "sag and creep":

NOTE the blue ground wire in the lower right.... no ground to battery, no CLUTCH function! That was yet another scar/lesson learned..... the original wire isn't blue (rather it's black), but I used what I had, as previous hack mechanics had tossed it . Read from your meter to the battery NEG post when installed.... if resistance isn't near nothing, your ground is NGC (no good condition).

More later.... go to saddle up and ride. Will post the specs of the actual hoses used.... they also are specific to 92- 7/9s, as the 93+ is a totally different animal.

Feedback thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=198746
DET17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:26 PM   #352
okoye
Board Member

Is that to say that the 93+ compressor and lines won't work if I put them into a 1990 740?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:50 PM   #353
nedc
Board Member

I've enjoyed watching you transform this 940T into your own personal vision of what a 'grandpa' series can become, but I think at this point you have to rename it 'Project moderately expensive thrills'. LOL
nedc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 11:12 PM   #354
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
Is that to say that the 93+ compressor and lines won't work if I put them into a 1990 740?
They will work, so long as you move the (1) mount for the compressor & alternator, (2) use a 93+ condenser, and (3) I can't be certain but the lines to the accumulator (the "suction line") just might work with your accumulator....however the suction and high pressure lines must match the 93+ compressor. I thought about going this route, but decided to stay with the 92 type compressor and just change to a variable orifice tube, which is known to improve low rpm performance of the A/C system.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:15 PM   #355
DET17
Reformed SAABaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedc View Post
I've enjoyed watching you transform this 940T into your own personal vision of what a 'grandpa' series can become, but I think at this point you have to rename it 'Project moderately expensive thrills'. LOL
Guilty. "Cheap Thrills" went by the boards, oh, somewhere around 2014 I've got to drive this thing until I retire to break even!