home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 10-22-2012, 10:24 PM   #26
suped.
Board Member

Looking forward to seeing it in person. Do you have wipers yet?
suped. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM   #27
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Nope. I bought a working motor with in-tact linkage but I won't worry about it for a while. If it rains this Saturday I guess I'm staying home.
Feedback

AndrewNance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 PM   #28
suped.
Board Member

I'll be staying home. Can't justify using the gas.
Old 10-23-2012, 12:12 AM   #29
BoostIt
Board Member

yew fellers need to meet up soon so Andrew can grab my trans am rims i don't wanna be pushy or anything though. i leave in 13 days.

PS: andrew your car gives me goose pimples
'82 244tic - Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
At full compression, there's enough room for a credit card to slide in.
BoostIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:22 AM   #30
suped.
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostIt View Post
yew fellers need to meet up soon so Andrew can grab my trans am rims i don't wanna be pushy or anything though. i leave in 13 days.

PS: andrew your car gives me goose pimples
He's grabbing them Saturday, if it doesn't rain.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:26 AM   #31
BoostIt
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by suped. View Post
He's grabbing them Saturday, if it doesn't rain.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:28 AM   #32
suped.
Board Member

Andrew, What sort of filter/thing did you use on your "current" photo?
Old 10-23-2012, 03:50 AM   #33
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Something on imgur. I'm no photographer.
Old 10-23-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
xorox_88
Board Member

dude where did you get those blue springs and are they made for amazon or some other car? and the ride how is it? rough like riding with no springs at all?
xorox_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 11:20 AM   #35
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorox_88 View Post
dude where did you get those blue springs and are they made for amazon or some other car? and the ride how is it? rough like riding with no springs at all?
They're coilover springs for like '88-'91 Hondas. They don't fit dead on but they're not bad. The rears fit fine but there's a lip in the front that they'll sit on. They can't go anywhere though because the front shocks go through the middle of them

Anyway, got the wheels on.

Then a buddy of mine "rolled" the fenders even though they weren't touching.

It's kinda nerve-racking watching someone beat on your fenders with a ball peen hammer but they look like they were rolled perfectly and properly. The rolled under fenders actually look better than the flat edge that Amazons come with.

Fronts at full lock, or as far as these 205s will let it go

Rears:

The rear actually has a little travel in it now since I cut those bump stops too. I need to hang my exhaust higher.

And from the front:

I need to work out one more problem. I cut the front bump stops down about 2" but it STILL rests on them and the ride quality is twice as terrible as when it was resting on a complete bump stop. I'm afraid to just take them out because I think the control arm will just lay on the crossmember. I might go back to a TME lowering spring and just cut the **** out of it to get the front low like it is now. Or I might just put some new bumpstops in the front. If it's going to ride on them I'd rather it ride on full ones than cut ones.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:58 PM   #36
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

This car has to make it out Saturday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
easiest way to run 11's is to build a 9 second car and turn it down a little.
My Project (It's a 1979 244DL...sort of.)
K-Jet to Megasquirt Article

The Departed: 1981 245, 1983 245 Turbo, 1983 244 Turbo, 1983 242 Turbo, 1984 244, 1985 245 Turbo, 1989 244, 1989 765, 1990 245 Turbo, 1991 244, 1992 245, 1997 855
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #37
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

I want to be there so bad but I'd need to work out my bump stop issue. I thought they'd be okay but I cut them and the car just went that much lower. I like it how it is now but the ride is horrid. I guess I'll find some short bump stops and just let it sit on them.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:15 PM   #38
Atom D&D
Board Member

How about putting the adjuster sleeve on in the front and preloading the spring some to where it comes off of the stop? I'm not sure whether that would work or not. Looks good though.

Adam
Atom D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 07:19 PM   #39
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Those adjuster sleeves won't work with the front end because the shock can't run through the middle of them. It sort of looks like they're made to be bolted into the cars they're actually made for. Unless my spring kit was different than yours, of course.

I'm thinking of trying an Eibach 6" 700# spring if I can't rework it any other way.

Edit: Now that I think about it, the threaded part might be hollow. I'll check it out when I get home.

Last edited by AndrewNance; 10-24-2012 at 07:26 PM..
Old 10-24-2012, 07:26 PM   #40
Corey
Board Member

looks great!

'81 242 turbo
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #41
Atom D&D
Board Member

PS, is your OSD plate real, or a modded newer one? I'm curious what OSD plates looked like back then, or if that was an option then.

Adam
Old 10-24-2012, 10:05 PM   #42
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atom D&D View Post
PS, is your OSD plate real, or a modded newer one? I'm curious what OSD plates looked like back then, or if that was an option then.

Adam
I was under the impression that it was a European tourist/temporary plate. The number on the passenger side is a country code, 06 for Sweden, and the number on the other side was the year model, 67. I don't know how much of that is true if any, but I liked the plate a lot. It looks way too nice and new to be a legit '67 plate and it was a fairly cheap Ebay find.

Oh and those adjuster sleeves are hollow all the way through so that could solve my problem by raising the front back up about 1/2" or so, as long as the Bilsteins will fit through them.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #43
BoostIt
Board Member

well hot DAMN that looks good. next time we meet up i have to see/go for a ride in this car. what size are those TSW's?
Old 10-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #44
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostIt View Post
well hot DAMN that looks good. next time we meet up i have to see/go for a ride in this car. what size are those TSW's?
17x8 with a +20 offset.

They actually cleared all of the fenders but at the risk of tearing up some new tires we went ahead and just hammered them in. Well we actually only did three. The DS rear had plenty of clearance while the PS rear was SO SO close to touching. I guess I need an adjustable panhard soon. It probably also wouldn't have hurt to go with the 205/50s in the rear and maybe a 205/45 in the front. It always clears the fenders but they're pretty keen on hitting the sway bar.

I'm going to check it out in the morning to see if I can figure out the clunking noise. It didn't start until last night after I cut 2" of the bump stops off and put the new wheels on. It also won't drive in a straight line to save it's life. Something is fishy with it.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:26 PM   #45
BoostIt
Board Member

very nice! need more pics though
Old 10-24-2012, 11:59 PM   #46
Atom D&D
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewnance21 View Post
I was under the impression that it was a European tourist/temporary plate. The number on the passenger side is a country code, 06 for Sweden, and the number on the other side was the year model, 67. I don't know how much of that is true if any, but I liked the plate a lot. It looks way too nice and new to be a legit '67 plate and it was a fairly cheap Ebay find.
Yes, they are European temporary plates. When you take part in the Volvo Over Seas Delivery program you pick your car up at the factory in Sweden, get temporary plates, get to drive around Europe and then get to have your car shipped for free to your local Volvo dealership. I have them for my 245 and a lot of people I know have them, but for some reason I was under the impression that the early ones were all red or something. I have an extra set of red/white ones I could just get new stickers made for the year side if that's the case.

Adam
Old 10-25-2012, 02:23 PM   #47
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

I'm not really sure if that's what the numbers inside the red parts mean. Someone told me that when I bought it online. I do have one of the old original "Special Delivery : Tourist and Diplomat Sales" leather key chains that came with the car but the tag is not original to the car.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:57 PM   #48
AndrewNance
Amateur hour!

Welp, sorted out the front end clunking. I think the very end of the spring was moving up and down inside the upper inner cup that holds the stock springs in place. Solution was to use the adjustable perches that came with the spring kits in the top. That raised the front end about 1/2" but it actually has some suspension travel now and honestly doesn't ride that bad at all. It's nowhere close to how it was before and it's definitely not any worse than the 245 with what I suspect are GT front springs and 250lb. rear springs.

Now my car is the closest to having coilovers that it will ever be without actually having coilovers.

Anyway, here's a crappy night shot from my test drive tonight:

Old 10-26-2012, 02:44 AM   #49
BoostIt
Board Member

usually i'm not a fan of black wheels with machined lips, but those look ****ing proper on your car man. i have amazon/2 door/slammed/rimp envy now. pleaseeeee take lots of pics of it at the tail if you go saturday
Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM   #50
propav8r
F*ck Edgar

So...this is coming Saturday then?
propav8r is offline   Reply With Quote