Old 09-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #26
122power
dude

That thing is rad dude!
122power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #27
adomz
Volvo 486 owner :D

Unlucky with the engine failure, but i bet you'll come all blazing and way better than before ;)

Good luck and keep us posted!

ADam

=->Adam's Joint Creations<-=

adomz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #28
Lankku
Board Member

So, what's up?

Final verdict for engine failure was ready after taking valves out of the head. Exhaust valve broke first and while keeping pedal to the floor, exhaust channel melted so far that coolant came through. Lousy cellphone pics over there. Valve looks nice too. I might use the old block for oversize pistons in the future.

New head came from B6254. Ported it a bit and had a valve job done. Put in new egt sensors with 2mm heads and tested them up to ~850C°. They could be faster but at least they are faster than old ones. After a few delays caused by machinists I got the new engine running last monday and drove it home right away.

While assembling drivetrain I had to change a new hub to the clutch plate. Splines were worn sharp just like with previous plate. As far as I know, there are only rigid sintered clutches available for GS6-53DZ. It causes the splines to wear in daily driving. Change to a normal sprung clutch would mean changing flywheel and having gearbox modified for longer bellhousing. The bellhousing was first ones made around here and we didn't notice that gearbox has a long cast for shift linkage on one point inside bellhousing. With stock 5-cyl flywheel that takes contact with pressure plate and I had to have a full 10mm thinner one made. Now there is only 2-3mm space between plate and flywheel bolts(from automatic flex plate) which prevents using anything else

Yesterday I was supposed to just change the rear oil but ended up taking it apart. Did a quick look on the bearings and such. Bigger pinion bearing has taken some damage to outer race but at what point(?). The rear has sounded the same quite some time, meaning not bad. Doesn't change cold/warm, so I assembled everything and put new grease to wheelbearings.

I've driven about 450km this week including few laps in Motopark Raceway today with 1,5-1,6bar boost. Dropped air pressure on the semislicks. Front could have been better with higher pressure but rear felt quite good. Nothing special, car worked ok and I could finally get some testing on the IDP swaybars. Cornering felt balanced as it did previously, just a bit more better.

Here is an incar: https://youtu.be/D9Lpx1ZUYdE
And a couple shaky shots outside: https://youtu.be/F9JmXO4NqCo

Next up is doing a boost control for megasquirt to reduce torque after boost rises. After that a new dyno session some day.

Last edited by Lankku; 07-22-2017 at 11:42 AM..
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:59 PM   #29
petiww
Board Member

Love watching this thing going on a track, neat project!

Also I adore this pic

Last edited by petiww; 10-10-2015 at 08:06 PM..
petiww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 02:18 PM   #30
Lankku
Board Member

It's been soo long since last update Something has at least happened. Here's some sort of (long)recap. Some videolinks in the end.

Last year ended soon after previous update with another engine problem. Took the head off to change head gasket and noticed scratches in four cylinders. After the engine failure I tried to clean the intake manifold but some debris was still in there. Those came back in to the engine That was it for the last year.

I decided still try to build a new engine with better pistons. This time I chose Wössner 81.5mm. With a friend we had some measurement changes done to the basic model to get higher compression ratio than stock 8.5 and a bit thicker skirts. Wait for the pistons was much longer than originally was told but it didn't change much. The block from the engine mentioned earlier was bored and grinded. Nothing else changed really after trying some rougher cams and T6 intake(can be found in the pics linked below). Has to have a better intake for those cams to idle decently etc.

While engine was out, I did some bodywork and had the whole car painted. Could have painted myself but wanted a better surface. I changed bottoms of rocker panels to square tube for better(?) strength and rebuilt underside of rear bumper. It was bad when I bought the car over 5,5 years ago and somehow it got worse... Also made some sort of halfcage that attaches with bolts and is in the car only when needed.

Pics about stuff that happened to the body and such here.

After waiting the paint to dry, I tried to do some polishing to the surface. I'm still not 100% happy with the result but it's ok I'll do it again for better results. Bought new original mudflaps and all sorts stuff to fit with new paint.

Here's a pic of a sort:

Slowly during the year I've done a big brake upgrade with XC90 discs. 336mm front, 308mm rear. Front calipers are the same S60/V70II/S80 which I've had before, rear are XC90. Had new front adapters made from aluminium and did rear myself. I'll update the rear to aluminium during the winter. Polaris is a bit difficult with these brakes considering fitment. Spokes are so close. After some fine tuning there is small airgap front and rear. From rear caliper I just had to grind the outside cast straight. Few other bits were needed with rear brakes as well. Handbrake is not yet as I want it. I just modified brakeshoes and linkage. I'll have to have an inside drum machined for it because drum from stock rear disc doesn't fit as is. Pads are EBC Redstuff all round. Balance and pedal feel are great.

Pics of brakes.
Did the front brake assembly outside in the winter while there was no engine in the car

After driving a while engine had spark problems in full pull and block cracked outwards from intake side at the same time with head gasket. I've heard this is usual in 4-cyl whiteblocks with same problems. End result was not so bad after all. Block was junk and 2 piston pins were bent due to hydraulic lock. All pins were replaced with stock T6 piston pins and had another block bored and grinded. This block is the one that had some bad experiences in the standing mile last year. Changed the K31 to HX55 with 80mm #25 exhaust and put stock coolant expansion tank for better pressure. The #25 is a little too big, will try #22 if it'll help a bit. I have M90 Eaton on the shelf waiting which will propably help also if I end up using it Pics of block damage here.

This is how the engine bay looks now.

Changed the front springs from 9" 500lbs to 8" 600lbs. Now front behaves way better than before, especially on track. I have driven now for a while and drove some 20 laps on Ahvenisto in VRCF summermeet. Not pushing the car too much and driving lines are somewhere out there. Engine was driven about 500km after assebly before going to track and had its first "proper" oil changed previous day
Here is an incar video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vs5oxcU9P8

Last sunday did 5 pulls on quarter mile and it went ok. Starting easily with HX55 spooling slowly and me not wanting to hurt rearend and other parts too much. Best speed 218.58km/h(135.8mph), time being 12,316s. Rest of the results here. Weight of the car with driver is around 1600kg/3527lbs.
Incar of a couple of pulls here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dsYThSUonds
Notice the nice grinding of second gear on the first pull. Then changing to fourth and after that back to second. Still 209.42km/h(130.13mph) Basic street tires, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 215/45 front and 225/45 rear. No clear grip issues with this power yet...

Also did a new rear muffler from stainless. It's about 2.5 times bigger than old. It succeeded surprisingly well and time used was luckily worth it. You can't hear exhaust inside even on full gas. I got some "complaints" that it was too quiet on track As can(not) be heard in the videos. Pics can be found from the first link or here.

This is half of the old muffler and the new one.

Thats for it now I guess

Last edited by Lankku; 07-22-2017 at 11:51 AM..
Old 07-28-2016, 05:39 PM   #31
murddraals
Board Member

One of the best threads out there.

Feedback thread
murddraals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 07:40 AM   #32
Lankku
Board Member

Thanks. Trying to keep it somewhat decent.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:58 PM   #33
Sharingan 19
Board Member

just wow!

Amazing work! This may just be the best build thread on T bricks
Sharingan 19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #34
Lankku
Board Member

Small updates have happened

Had a corsett of sorts machined to the block. Just to help prevent cracking of the outer wall if same problems occur as previously.

Updated ecu from MS2 V3 to MS3X V3. Haven't yet completed wiring for cam sensor for sequential. Way smoother operation than MS2. Didn't really expect such a big difference.

Otherwise getting some daily driving done and yesterday visited Motopark Raceway for a couple of laps in the wet. Due to poor grip only 1.5bar max boost on third gear and around 1.8-2 on fourth and fifth. Anyways it was fun driving around after a long time
Also had another car there, B230F HX40, Eaton M65, M90, etc. and it's first in the video. At the moment that has only around 250hp, I think

Video here: https://youtu.be/JRr0HjjAgbA
One incar lap per car and short shots from main straight. GoPro audio is still what it is. Outside shots taken by a friend.

Incar lap with better audio here: https://youtu.be/QLa9aEEFeCA
Audio taken from the video recorded(and commented :D by a friend) with the cell seen in the video

Last edited by Lankku; 07-22-2017 at 11:55 AM..
Old 03-11-2017, 08:26 PM   #35
jrode34m5

This build it is just amazing, any more updates.?
jrode34m5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:44 PM   #36
Lankku
Board Member

Took a bit long to answer
Not much yet. Has been sitting in the shelter during the winter.

Just done some shopping for new clutch parts, replacement gearbox(clutch shaft splines worn out), new drivers seat, 2.5" exhaust cutout, better EGT-sensors but not "much" else. Also did get a hold of a third set of Polaris wheels just for winter tires. And no, I haven't driven it during the winter Will be downgrading from HX55 back to K31 with #20 exhaust for better response.

Nothing left but to assemble everything...

Haven't done a lot during the winter anyways. Though did fiddle with a couple cars and did a quick daily driver 965 -95 2.5l M90 project with HX40 and dynoed it on Monday:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY8Aj_LCxks

18" Ixion with 225/40 Hankook S1 Evo 2.

Had the bottom also completely sandblasted, did some sheet metal work, painted with epoxy and redid complete exhaust

Last edited by Lankku; 07-22-2017 at 11:58 AM..
Old 03-28-2017, 04:59 PM   #37
Harlard
Pro Sneaker Peddler

Awesome. I want your V90 now.

Herr Harlard am Erstens

1979 242 DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by t8fanning View Post
My knob has a big chunk of steel on it
Harlard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 07:23 AM   #38
okoye
Board Member

Did you do 3 inch exhaust all the way through?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:10 PM   #39
Lankku
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
Did you do 3 inch exhaust all the way through?
965 dp is 3.5", cat 3" and from there to rear muffler 3". Rear muffler and tailpipe are 2.5". Both mufflers are 420mm(16.5") long.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:55 PM   #40
okoye
Board Member

do you think a 3 inch exhaust could fit over the irs rear end?
Old 03-29-2017, 06:33 PM   #41
Mueller
Board Member

Too cool, I don't think I've seen this build before.

Makes me want a Volvo 6 pot motor and to forget that V8 Chevy lump I was thinking about!
Old 03-30-2017, 07:27 AM   #42
Lankku
Board Member

Quote:
do you think a 3 inch exhaust could fit over the irs rear end?
Fits easily, 965 already has one. Looks like 3.5" wont be an issue either. Much easier to do than in to a 240.

Mueller:
Depends what sort of engine characters and weight you want.

Here "real" V8 isn't a real option for official street use because of limits in max displacement and power in street tune. Thats done comparing the engine to the biggest and/or most powerful model. You can apply for exceptions but it costs and is uncertain to go through.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:05 PM   #43
Lankku
Board Member

Been pretty quiet in this topic since last update. Decided to have it moved in to projects & restorations because it fits there better than showroom. Just like in real life. What a better way to continue than with some minor cosmetic changes

Had some tracktime in fall with 242 4.6l, friends 242 8V turbo build and this. Had a blast and got a good feel how well friends 242 does handle with electric power steering, fast steering rack, stock Turbo suspension, polybushings, rollcage, Truetrac, IPD 25/22 swaybars and engine with a wide range. Got to say it was the best 240 I've ever driven.

245 worked fine with 1.7bar boost. Downside was that I happened to flip it on the last lap. Literally said to friend on the previous lap that next one is the last Just too late braking, sharp turn into a corner, maybe a bit too high tyre pressure and rear lost grip. On the brakes sideways on to the soft safety area where wheels dug in to the ground and finally just turned the car over. No other injuries than mental ones. Later checked Racechrono logs(10Hz GPS) and braking happened ~70 meters later than on the previous lap, entry speed was ~7km/h/4mph higher. Speed before braking 237km/h/147mph.

All pics here.

Some laps with all cars mentioned: https://youtu.be/yX9ruo2XI_4
245 lap and flip: https://youtu.be/yX9ruo2XI_4?t=7m9s
And for you interested only in what happened : https://youtu.be/yX9ruo2XI_4?t=9m18s

Got it turned back on to its wheels by track management and pulled to the pits. Engine bay cleanup from oil that came from breather can, etc. All round check, testing on the pits and drove it home ~22km/14miles. Works just fine.

Damages: Front end from bumper upwards, right side doors, right side rear fender, front of the roof and whole roof moved a bit backwards. Front right tire scrubbed pretty badly to the fender and needs to be replaced. Deciced to repair the car rather than moving everything in to another 245(previously mentioned in this topic).

Been doing repairs to the body since, other projects just have taken some time from this. It's not even close to factory but it'll do for now. Having the roofline even close to correct was a pain but it's somewhere there.

Front inner fenders were bent downwards but needed only a bit of jacking. Changed the roof from B-pillars forward, did the joining with glue and extra supports. Thought that changing the whole roof would been too much work for me. "New" front fenders, doors, etc. Bought 91-> type windshield for cleaner install as I wanted previously. Did a full rollcage to complete the half cage I had made previously. Not so much for safety, rather to test how much does it effect to handling.

I didn't really like the original color and was debating hard with my self if I should change it. Went through color palettes several times. It had to be from the same era and used in 240. Ended up choosing 400 Beige Metallic for main color. For contrast or other nonsense reasons the hood stays in the original color as well as engine bay. I've done all of the prep work and painter just painted the body. Other parts hopefully soon.

Again, what has been done, pictures here: https://lankku.kuvat.fi/kuvat/245+GL...2017/Motopark/

Coming updates: Kaplhenke Quicksteer roll correction parts and for better allround performance a mildly custom HX40 with #22 exhaust housing. Should be capable of doing 650-700hp on this engine which is enough until next time

Completely forgot to mention that previously changed from HX55 back to K31 for driveability and it's plenty enough for me. So now going back to a smaller turbo.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:53 PM   #44
M.H. Yount
Board Member

Should be easier to fix those windshield wipers now.....(grin). Glad you weren't injured - the rest can be renewed.
Old 01-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #45
okoye
Board Member

That is one heck of a crash! Glad you're ok! Would have loved more info on your t6 960 though with pics of the setup!
Old 01-06-2018, 10:57 AM   #46
Lankku
Board Member

If I'm going to leave something unmodified it's the wipers They look wrong the right way.

Wouldn't really call it a crash, there just was enough energy to turn the car over. Little less and it might have stayed on all fours.

Here are pics of the 965: https://lankku.kuvat.fi/kuvat/965+-95+B6254T/
Engine bay pic in subfolder.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:40 PM   #47
okoye
Board Member

No pics of the manifold setup??
Old 01-06-2018, 08:08 PM   #48
Funkee
Board Member

Haha that helmet
Funkee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 08:26 AM   #49
Lankku
Board Member

Quote:
No pics of the manifold setup??
Manifold, turbo and dp(modified) are from the white 245 and here is the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkee View Post
Haha that helmet
Well I'm not taking pictures of myself so helmet is a suitable substitute for making a pose with the prey?
Old 01-07-2018, 04:23 PM   #50
okoye
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankku View Post
Manifold, turbo and dp(modified) are from the white 245 and here is the picture.

Interesting and you made 300 to the wheels on the 960 with no mods to ecu just injectors and 7 pounds on that hx55?