home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #126
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Yeah, I read and watch everything too, but your pretty far above most peoples ability to comment, including myself.
Wish I could offer food for thought type comments, but above my pay grade here.

-Patrick
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:08 PM   #127
Tfrasca
Board Member

I'll add my name to this list of people who watch all the videos but can only provide superlatives for commentary. "Incredible."
Tfrasca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #128
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Thanks Guys - didn't mean for my comment to sound like I was fishing for a complement. I'm only putting the effort into the video stuff to take the heat off keeping this thread going. It's also a great motivator to keep on top of the project. I'm happy with the 50 guys that tune in! I've learned (and continue to learn) from this forum all the time - just trying to pay back a little.

1966 Canadian (B5234T, C4 up front, Supra out back and a nut in the middle) http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=328003
1981 242 (B230FT, LH 2.4...and a few other things)

YouTube channel covering Canadian build https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCsx...n3CiBQFd4rMyXw
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #129
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Getting the IRS installed. Lots of drilling and grinding in this one!

https://youtu.be/s4YgHnJOna0
Old 02-15-2018, 06:16 PM   #130
SML
Board Member

Quote:
Then how to implement this...well the box that joins the inner fenders was always coming out as it gets in the way of where I need the engine. The firewall can then be doubled up (ie either a box section (most likely) or tube (if needed) inside the car and can stretch all the way across the firewall not just ending at the inner fenders.

I haven't done that part just yet as I'm waiting to see where the engine ends up and how much of the front of the tunnel I need to take off.

So if you didn't want the tube solution (which is dramatic) then I would go with a variant of what I have shown in cardboard. There is room to do this without fouling the fender stiffening panel and you can always add to the fire wall inside the car to help out there. Then I would bridge the frame where it goes under the car and turn it from being a dirt/leaf trap into a more useful structural piece.
Gotcha. Makes sense. I'll be doing tube to ensure my own freedom since I'll be putting the subframe of an entirely different vehicle under it. Just to be clear is this what you mean:

SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 PM   #131
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

Yes, that tube would be behind the firewall...it's just a straw model - and while scaled, it is only approximate. The vertical straws are the A pillar. So some of this is sort of fictional in the model which was created as a test of structure.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:51 PM   #132
MDVLN
Kapitän Klugscheißer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Lots of drilling and grinding in this one!
I'll be sure to put some slow music on

Thanks for sharing these with us!
MDVLN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #133
SML
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
Yes, that tube would be behind the firewall...it's just a straw model - and while scaled, it is only approximate. The vertical straws are the A pillar. So some of this is sort of fictional in the model which was created as a test of structure.
Makes perfect sense to me. That's similar to be what I was thinking. There might be a temptation to bend the tubes that go from firewall to grill, but other than that, I had in mind the same sort of idea minus that firewall trick. I think I'll do that. It makes me feel much better about the stresses under hard cornering going into a structural tube and the body rather than just the body. I would feel much safer.

Keep it up!
SML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 10:04 PM   #134
Canuck
Frozen Garage Hell

I guess I forgot to take pictures when I was welding up the UCA brackets. I did take this one. Note the 3/4 aluminum plate I'm using as a heat sink...I don't want this sucker to warp. And it didn't (well, not much).

I added the front side supports to provide registration on the frame rail and add some strength to the part. The backside of this bracket has 3 - 1/4" thick brackets.

The K-member has been vexing me all week. It was just missing something. So with it all mocked up for welding, I got some inspiration last night and came up with this idea.

The part I was fretting over was the front mount point. It only went to the bottom of the frame. I need it to get some method of registering it to the side of the frame rail. This will allow me to ensure that things are going to stay square and parallel.

So I just added this bracket.

It fits like this.

Then settled in for a long dime stacking session.

And done! Had to stretch it a little post weld to get it all back straight. I'm happy with how it all turned out.

Next up. Steering bracket. I'll probably mock this up on the frame first then get it fitted into the car...then dick around with this weldment.

Moving on to this next mock up tomorrow.
Old Yesterday, 09:00 PM   #135
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Beautiful.

LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote