home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 01-22-2018, 09:27 PM   #151
Andrewhans
Board Member

Also as an awesome side note. I beat the **** out of the car and never once got it over 195 the whole time. Even after doing a pull and coming to a stop. The stock 240 radiator is shockingly good. Only thing I did was a PT cruiser fan running on low speed and a stock 4.8 thermostat with a few extra holes drilled around the edge to aid in air leeding and flow.

Seriously impressed.
Old 01-22-2018, 11:26 PM   #152
Andrewhans
Board Member

So I just walked out to the garage to check the ring gaps. I only checked the top ring gap as a quick test. Every hole was almost dead on .025.

Makes me lean towards timing was way off or bad gas. These are brand new deka 80# injectors. Fuel pressure was great on the pull too. I am going to move the "suspect" injector to number 2 though as a just incase. See if it follows. I dont usually ever hear #2 going. Usually 5 and 7.

Going to go grab some e85 top it up to give me a bit of a safety net and verify timing once its back together. Not sure Im going to gap the rings anymore than they already are.

Last edited by Andrewhans; 01-23-2018 at 08:24 AM..
Andrewhans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 12:09 AM   #153
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

in the winter mine didn't run hot either. it wasn't until the summer that it started creeping. it never overheated, but even with a lower temp t-stat it would hit 200 without any abuse.

Now with in-house Dyno tuning!

Megasquirt Tuning!
Plug and play LH 2.4 Megasquirt, now with stealth mode!
linuxman51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:21 AM   #154
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
in the winter mine didn't run hot either. it wasn't until the summer that it started creeping. it never overheated, but even with a lower temp t-stat it would hit 200 without any abuse.
I will absolutely be keeping an eye on it. It wasnt an overly cool day Saturday. I think it was in the mid 60's.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:32 PM   #155
Andrewhans
Board Member

Picked up a used Hurst QuarterStick fro $60. Really like it so far. It needed a really good clean and regrease. Ooerates very smoothly now.

Also spent most of the day mounting it. I like how it turned out. I may redo it later though.

Old 02-05-2018, 12:03 AM   #156
Andrewhans
Board Member

Got everything back together and driving. I have a weird vibration at 3k that wasnt there before. Going to check the converter and make sure nothing funny is going on down there.

Also runs 7psi now instead of the 3 or 4 it had before. Not sure what thats about.

Need to get a consistent way to datalog so I can fix this tune. Its way lean even at 7psi. Trying to figure out if its tune or there is an issue.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:42 AM   #157
cosbySweater
Board Member

What are you running for fuel lines? Are you using stock wiring for the pump or did you upgrade it?
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 01:33 AM   #158
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosbySweater View Post
What are you running for fuel lines? Are you using stock wiring for the pump or did you upgrade it?
I bought some Parker 801-6 line and a walbro 450 pump. I ran a 8awg wire dedicated to the pump straight from the battery. Its all on the factory return line.

As a side note I figured out why I popped my engine the first time around and was running super lean this time too. The ****in cheap ass MAP sensor split wide open. So I pried it apart, cleaned out the old sealant, RTV'd the halves together, ziptied it all to hell and then Double Bubbled the part that split open.

In this video you can actually see the ECU only seeing a max of 106kpa while the engine was actually around 140kpa (5psi). The e85 saved my ass bigtime with this recent error and mess up of mine.

The sealant and epoxy has cured and Ill check it out tomorrow to see if I fixed the issue. If the sealed sensor does the trick Im going to buy a genuine GM 3 Bar MAP and swap it out.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:32 PM   #159
Marvelous3
Who engineered this?

holy **** thats super frustrating. wtf sensor?!

1990 240dl Kaplhenke Coilover Daily
1991 245+16 Valve Turbo Microsquirt
Need Hyundai or Genesis parts? PM me for Genuine Hyundai or Genesis parts
Marvelous3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 01:29 PM   #160
Andrewhans
Board Member

Its extremely frustrating to be honest.

Everything cured and is holding up great so far. Did some more testing and noe I have an uncontrollable boost issue. I currently have the shortest smallest diameter spring from the VSR 44mm in it. Initially I had the longest one in it because it felt the softest.

That spring was allowing me to hit WAY to high of boost. If I keep my foot in it I will scatter the motor on the ground I've datalogged 17psi so far and I let off when I saw the needle swinging right past 15psi.

I did at least get a good video of some burnout action. Ripping on the 6800 rpm limiter and controlling boost with my right foot haha

Old 02-09-2018, 01:32 PM   #161
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

pull the gate, air check with shop air. this is why I only use tial gates on my junk.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:35 PM   #162
linuxman51
BRANDSCHUTZVORSCHRIFTEN!

also, on the amazon map sensors.. they can flake without splitting apart, I have one on the blue 242 that just... got slow... almost like you plugged the line going to it.. it'd pull some vacuum, and show some boost. I'm not sure what to really do about it, doesn't seem to be an extremely common problem but I guess one that shouldn't be all together surprising.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:37 AM   #163
Andrewhans
Board Member

So I'm pushing coolant under boost now. Enough to where I blew a line off the steam port and emptied the engine of coolant, saw 225 by the time I got home but was probly far over that bc of having very little coolant in the motor.

I'll see if it starts in the morning and get it warmed up then do a compression test. If it starts without issue and tests good I'm going to buy new headgaskets and maybe a used set of ARP studs (not sure on that part yet). The gaskets were reused 4 or 5 times so far and the head bolts probly had 5 full torque cycles on them as well.

Last edited by Andrewhans; 02-11-2018 at 11:27 AM..
Old 02-11-2018, 03:57 AM   #164
cosbySweater
Board Member

They push coolant if you reuse stock headbolts and gaskets. I even have issues with new hgs and reused bolts. It works if you want, but I think studs and new gaskets are the way to go
cosbySweater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 10:48 AM   #165
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxman51 View Post
pull the gate, air check with shop air. this is why I only use tial gates on my junk.
Pulled the gate, gate works fine with air, doesn't stick either. Tested all 3 springs for when they open. Put the lightest spring in there. Still over boosts. I think the exhaust has too little restriction to allow the wastegate to work correctly or the gate placement isnt right on the housing. I cant change the gate location but I can add restriction to the exhaust to see if that makes the wastegate more effective at bleeding exhaust.

EDIT: Just thought I could also add a second gate onto my crossover to bleed more exhaust gas. That will most likely be my final solution.

I will also pull the bolts one by one and clean the threads. Maybe some gunk was causeing the bolts to hit torque before they hit full clamping force. If it still pushes coolant I'll fix it.

Last edited by Andrewhans; 02-11-2018 at 02:43 PM..
Old 02-11-2018, 11:52 PM   #166
Andrewhans
Board Member

Good news!! I filled it up with water this morning and drove it about 15miles round trip with no issues. Even did a few pulls around 5-7psi without pushing coolant.

Im gonna order a second VSR 44mm gate and weld it on the crossover to control my boost better. Hopefully preventing HG issues in the future.

Once I get the tune straightened out Ill fix the HG issue and install new bolts, new gaskets and try again.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:55 PM   #167
77volvo245
Board Member

Head Bolts and gaskets are cheap

77volvo245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #168
Andrewhans
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77volvo245 View Post
Head Bolts and gaskets are cheap
They are cheap but I need to get my boost control issue fixed first then Ill work on the gaskets and such. Dont want to do too much at once.

Its very very likely Im going to grab new bolts and new oem gaskets.