home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > performance & modifications

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default B5254T 500hp + engine build

I have a B5254T engine I just took out of my son's 1999 S70 AWD because it has a cylinder with very low compression. I'm putting in another engine I got from the scrap yard so I'm getting a bad B5254T for free to play with...

I'm a little bored with my current B230FT +16V setup and I would like to keep a Volvo engine under the hood.

Anyone here built a forged Whiteblock? I looked at these Darton sleeves and they are pretty neat and good for 800+ Hp with other supporting hardware like forged pistons and rods.

What is the best source for forged Whiteblock parts? Custom intake? Custom headers?

I would like to keep the VVT system so I know I'll have to upgrade my MS2 to the MS3 to make use of the system.

Tranny would probably be a TKO500 ou 600 since I don't think a WC T5 can handle that kind of power without some major internal massaging.
__________________


1990, Volvo 740 16v +T
1991, Volvo 745T 16V - crushed
build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=249553
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #2
Jack
junkman
 
Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: The Ass Cheek Of History
Default

look at turbojoes build on volvospeed.

500 is too much for these engines
Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
TurboDenny
Why am I here?
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Default

You're only limited by your wallet.

I would definitely go for the TKO600 over a T5, although it is kind of notchy to shift.
__________________

'90 245 Daily


Instagram: @itstotesdenny

I want all your nostalgic Volvo stuffs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeEMSFred View Post
Nothing's black magic. Basics to moderate power levels are cake, period. Start off rich and retarded, like your president.
TurboDenny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:34 PM   #4
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
look at turbojoes build on volvospeed.

500 is too much for these engines
That's why I want to use forged internals and have the block either decked or install something like these:

poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:40 AM   #5
doucheNozzle
Newbie
 
doucheNozzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Pitt, 15218
Default

I'd find a RN block. Better flowing heads, dual VVT. LookforJoe, Matt M, and Aaron of Vast Tuning would be the people I would look at for what they're doing.
__________________

'95 850 T-5R - FailSedan
'04 V70 T5A - FailFamily
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:57 AM   #6
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doucheNozzle View Post
I'd find a RN block. Better flowing heads, dual VVT. LookforJoe, Matt M, and Aaron of Vast Tuning would be the people I would look at for what they're doing.
Yeah I might do that since there is already a burnt valve on the motor I have and a valve job would cost a bundle!
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #7
GMS
Board Member
 
GMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dalarna, Sweden
Default

Source a B5244t5 from later model S60 T5 -06. Dual VVT and better pistons that'll easily do 500hp. Its similar to the R engine just smaller bore, 81mm instead of 83mm.
__________________
-Volvo V70 D3 Auto -13
-Volvo 242 B230FK -75
GMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:17 PM   #8
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMS View Post
Source a B5244t5 from later model S60 T5 -06. Dual VVT and better pistons that'll easily do 500hp. Its similar to the R engine just smaller bore, 81mm instead of 83mm.
I could get a 2005 T5 engine from an S60 for around $1200... Would this do the trick?

I mean, if I get a newer engine for $1000 + and I end up putting another $1500 in parts to strengthen it I might a swell use the engine I have at hand, change rods and pistons, port the head, sleeve it and have a bulletproof motor?

Or I just found a 2006 2.5t from an AWD S80 with a 100K miles for $500. Is this a viable option?

Last edited by poulrais; 09-12-2017 at 12:24 PM..
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM   #9
VB242
One hundred gift baskets
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Why not ls then if your into spending money?
__________________
1980 primer Franken-242DL, 1989 silver 780 bone stock.
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 01:14 PM   #10
GMS
Board Member
 
GMS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Dalarna, Sweden
Default

Cant remember what year it is but the car is has the T5 badge, 2.5t have a bigger bore and is more prone to crack. If you're aiming for 500hp you would need to get som other rods. And from what i gathered the head does not need porting or very little for your goals.
GMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:28 PM   #11
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VB242 View Post
Why not ls then if your into spending money?
Cause I want a Volvo engine under the hood?
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #12
blkaplan
50 shades of beige
 
blkaplan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Rockville, MD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
look at turbojoes build on volvospeed.

500 is too much for these engines
500 is not a huge deal for these engines, you just have to take a conservative tuning approach and not try to make 500 with a TD04 Turbo.

RN blocks are much better, the heads aren't that big of an improvement.
__________________
www.BEIGEPOWER.com
Kaplhenke Racing Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkKratoz View Post
The only safe bet is Ben.©
blkaplan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:23 PM   #13
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkaplan View Post
500 is not a huge deal for these engines, you just have to take a conservative tuning approach and not try to make 500 with a TD04 Turbo.

RN blocks are much better, the heads aren't that big of an improvement.
If I have a 6 cylinder engine from an S90 SE available should I go that route and swap the bigger, more RWD orientated motor?
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #14
cosbySweater
Board Member
 
cosbySweater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Monterey/Falun
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
If I have a 6 cylinder engine from an S90 SE available should I go that route and swap the bigger, more RWD orientated motor?
Yes
__________________
1979 Volvo 244DL 6.0/4l80e,8.8,Ms3x goldbox ecu and Mircrosquirt tcu, s366 clone.
2005 Honda Civic Hybrid, 5 Speed
1991 Volvo 245, so stock it hurts, and I like it that way
1982 Ford Fairmont Futura, 4.8/th400, 8.8, mircrosquirt, 7665 turbo, Project Cheap Thrills

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricktop420 View Post
Thank you very much everybody... i now feel sufficiently retarded and will go cry in the corner...
cosbySweater is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:07 PM   #15
84 Blue 240
Board Member
 
84 Blue 240's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
If I have a 6 cylinder engine from an S90 SE available should I go that route and swap the bigger, more RWD orientated motor?
Get another 3 and weld them together to make a V-24.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by manjiman View Post
I just wanted to know if the '87 740 turbo came with a differential? If so, which one?
1984 245 with Getrag Swap
84 Blue 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:17 PM   #16
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Blue 240 View Post
Get another 3 and weld them together to make a V-24.
I'd have to get another fuel pump so meh...
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:24 PM   #17
84 Blue 240
Board Member
 
84 Blue 240's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
I'd have to get another fuel pump so meh...
48V Boost-a-pump?
84 Blue 240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 04:32 PM   #18
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84 Blue 240 View Post
48V Boost-a-pump?
@ $1.36 CAD/liter for premium 91 Octane gas here I'll think twice about it.
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #19
Lankku
Board Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Finland
Default

Rant(ish?).

It'll cost any way you want to do it. Valve job isn't the biggest expense but I'd say it's not wasted when going for bigger power. And a mild, even correctly homemade, porting is good too. Though you can always add more boost to achieve the goal?

For a 500hp 5-cyl I would use B5234T(81mm bore vs B5254 weaker 83mm bore). H-beams and custom exhaust manifold, everything else stock. Turbo pistons are fine for about 117hp/piece. Though I'm not 100% sure about how older or newer FWD intake flow. but I'd guess they'll be fine for that. I'm not that much into the details of the intake because 6-cyl is soo much easier to drop in.

I'd guess that B5254T is good for max 350-400hp with H-beams depending on the turbo size. The bigger turbo, the less torque on low rpm to brake cylinders if that's going to happen. Most if not all higher hp engines are built with 81mm bore because they are considered stronger. B I have no idea how well 83mm bore cylinders last with having grooves between cylinders filled(about that near the end).

As for 6-cyl, I find all round driveablity way better than 5-cyl and it's easier to make the same power.
B6284T needs just about rods, change of throttlebody, RWD oil pan & engine mounts and drilling & tapping one hole for left engine mount. After that it's ready to run and has exhaust VVT. Intake flows up to about 700hp. At least I couldn't get any more than that with a T6 intake.

If you want to fiddle around, use B6254 block, stock RWD intake, H-beams, B4194T(T4), B5234T or B6284T pistons, B6304 crankshaft and B6245 or B6304 head. 204hp B6304 cams have more lift and power comes a bit easier. B6254 cams can be used too and they have same lift as B6284T. Block is good for around 600hp or even more and RWD intake works at least up to 800hp.

For all the engines above. Fill the grooves between cylinders for example with feeler gauge slices or other material which is suitable thickness. This applies to any whiteblock until the latest ones(?). Without those cylinders could and will crack under higher pressure and temperature. Block casting is thinner, doesn't support cylinders that well and especially in overheated engines casting collapses in to the groove on its own. This can be seen even in stock engines and ultimately as cracked cylinders.

ps. B6284T block itself is good for ~1000hp just with grooves filled. Friend had his "B6284T" tortured in an engine dyno for a while. Just over 1000hp and ~1150Nm with no problems. I've had only 800hp so far on mine And due to trying to avoid problems with the engine my current block has a block reinforcement similar in the pic above. It also fills the areas between cylinders.
__________________

444 -55, 145 Express -71, 242 DL -80 (was) 4.6l, 245 -88 "B6284T", 245 -90 "B6284T", V90 -98 4.6l
Lankku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 08:57 PM   #20
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankku View Post
Rant(ish?).

It'll cost any way you want to do it. Valve job isn't the biggest expense but I'd say it's not wasted when going for bigger power. And a mild, even correctly homemade, porting is good too. Though you can always add more boost to achieve the goal?

For a 500hp 5-cyl I would use B5234T(81mm bore vs B5254 weaker 83mm bore). H-beams and custom exhaust manifold, everything else stock. Turbo pistons are fine for about 117hp/piece. Though I'm not 100% sure about how older or newer FWD intake flow. but I'd guess they'll be fine for that. I'm not that much into the details of the intake because 6-cyl is soo much easier to drop in.

I'd guess that B5254T is good for max 350-400hp with H-beams depending on the turbo size. The bigger turbo, the less torque on low rpm to brake cylinders if that's going to happen. Most if not all higher hp engines are built with 81mm bore because they are considered stronger. B I have no idea how well 83mm bore cylinders last with having grooves between cylinders filled(about that near the end).

As for 6-cyl, I find all round driveablity way better than 5-cyl and it's easier to make the same power.
B6284T needs just about rods, change of throttlebody, RWD oil pan & engine mounts and drilling & tapping one hole for left engine mount. After that it's ready to run and has exhaust VVT. Intake flows up to about 700hp. At least I couldn't get any more than that with a T6 intake.

If you want to fiddle around, use B6254 block, stock RWD intake, H-beams, B4194T(T4), B5234T or B6284T pistons, B6304 crankshaft and B6245 or B6304 head. 204hp B6304 cams have more lift and power comes a bit easier. B6254 cams can be used too and they have same lift as B6284T. Block is good for around 600hp or even more and RWD intake works at least up to 800hp.

For all the engines above. Fill the grooves between cylinders for example with feeler gauge slices or other material which is suitable thickness. This applies to any whiteblock until the latest ones(?). Without those cylinders could and will crack under higher pressure and temperature. Block casting is thinner, doesn't support cylinders that well and especially in overheated engines casting collapses in to the groove on its own. This can be seen even in stock engines and ultimately as cracked cylinders.

ps. B6284T block itself is good for ~1000hp just with grooves filled. Friend had his "B6284T" tortured in an engine dyno for a while. Just over 1000hp and ~1150Nm with no problems. I've had only 800hp so far on mine And due to trying to avoid problems with the engine my current block has a block reinforcement similar in the pic above. It also fills the areas between cylinders.

Thanks for all the infos! Very much appreciated!
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 AM   #21
Vincent Gagnon
Board Member
 
Vincent Gagnon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Quebec
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by poulrais View Post
I'm a little bored with my current B230FT +16V setup
How much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankku View Post
Rant(ish?).
Most if not all higher hp engines are built with 81mm bore because they are considered stronger. B I have no idea how well 83mm bore cylinders last with having grooves between cylinders filled(about that near the end).
Are you sure this dosen't have something to do with flame propagation rather than the solidity of the bloc?
__________________

Last edited by Vincent Gagnon; 09-13-2017 at 09:35 AM..
Vincent Gagnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:25 AM   #22
doucheNozzle
Newbie
 
doucheNozzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: The Pitt, 15218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
Are you sure this dosen't have something to do with flame propaation rather than the solidity of the bloc?
Yes.
doucheNozzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 07:42 AM   #23
poulrais
Board Member
 
poulrais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Quebec, CAN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Gagnon View Post
How much?
Pretty much...

And I will also have the whole setup for sale pretty soon!

Back from the burning BC woods?
poulrais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:45 AM   #24
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V
 
MadDog_945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lower Saxony
Default

i want your yoshifab DSM CAS if you have!


And ask the VPerformance guys.. they know what to do ;)

Last edited by MadDog_945; 09-13-2017 at 09:19 AM..
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #25
VB242
One hundred gift baskets
 
VB242's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Virginia Beach
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog_945 View Post
i want your yoshifab DSM CAS if you have!
The t bricks vultures circle..
VB242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.