home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 12-05-2005, 05:53 AM   #26
PWRPUFF
narf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuff240
Well he was going to install his custom Ohlins with remote reservoirs that are built exactly to the specifications of his car ...

-- Kane ... I know, I know, this is Kyle we're talking about.

PS: granted, they at least work better than 14 year old OEM's, so.

Eh - you've still got three good rods, just up the boost a little more to compensate for the missing rod. -- JohnMc
PWRPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:01 AM   #27
Tuff240
240 Ninja

-Patrick

Last edited by Tuff240; 06-16-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 06:18 AM   #28
PWRPUFF
narf!

Quote:
Now you are beginning to see the light.
Sometimes we are restricted by budgets (or lack of) and have to make do with what we have available to us.
Nah, I know how it's like. In my instance, though, I would've waited until all the pieces come together first, then do it properly. Not do it partially, then have to redo it again shortly thereafter.

Quote:
They will work until he has an extra $150 ...
It'll be a while.

-- Kane ... though try and prove me wrong, Kyle! I'm giving ya until the next iPd swap meet ...
Old 12-05-2005, 01:27 PM   #29
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Well he was going to install his custom Ohlins with remote reservoirs that are built exactly to the specifications of his car, but he opted to go with the off the shelf KYB's because they are supposed to work so well on lowered cars.
Damn, who's this guy? He seems like an ASS!

Lol, Kane, I know that on 140s, the KYBs are outside their operating range and don't work well on lowered cars, but I haven't really heard anything like that on 240s, although I can't imagine that not being the case, considering how low my car is... In any case, the car feels A LOT better how it is now, and for less than $100, it was more than well worth it for the shocks that I now have on the car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWRPUFF
Nah, I know how it's like. In my instance, though, I would've waited until all the pieces come together first, then do it properly. Not do it partially, then have to redo it again shortly thereafter.

It'll be a while.

-- Kane ... though try and prove me wrong, Kyle! I'm giving ya until the next iPd swap meet ...
I couldn't wait. My car was so low, and I love to push the car so hard, and everyday on my drive to work I'm on the mountain roads, that the stock shocks with lowered suspension were no where near enough to keep me planted safely. I don't mind doing it again in a few months, if I even need to yet, because it isn't THAT hard to do it all when you're in a shop with a lift and air tools. Currently, the shocks are up to the task, we'll see how long they last, if they do indeed wear out. If they don't wear out, I might not want to get Billy's yet. If they wear out, then I'll do it, but in the meantime, I'd much rather get some other stuff taken care of... Including a slow launch, due to some autotragic of a tranny. Which will in turn, give me better gas mileage. The lower braces(upper SHOULD be on their way, gotta PM that guy) and the strut tower reinforcement plates. And also of course the e-fan, and the airbox cutting(tonight probably) and the turbo exhaust, which will help the car run more efficiently at all rpm, especially up top. Then there's the stereo situation, the tint, the +Ti... So, if the shocks are still up to it by the next iPd swap meet, I will have no reason to change them, and I can get other stuff fixed.

I have a real job now though Kane, not in school, and have another little job on the side as well, I've got money to play with, kind of... Still paying off debt, but, I've got it nonetheless.
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 02:07 PM   #30
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Old 12-05-2005, 02:58 PM   #31
klr142
Turbo, what?

Are you sure? Doesn't seem like it sometimes. GET BACK TO WORK!
Old 12-05-2005, 10:54 PM   #32
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Old 12-05-2005, 11:25 PM   #33
luke242ti
Board addict

Nice work Kyle. Quite the progress since you starting driving the car! Here I thought u didnt like 240s

82 242Ti
84.5 245Ti Parts car, Need something!?

In Memory of Matthew Dionne (3/23/83 to 5/12/03)

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaac
I also have a theory that a redblock's self-lubricating metals break down into nitrous oxide and hyper-dense supercharging poly-oxygenic molecules, which adds more power over time.
luke242ti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #34
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke242ti
Nice work Kyle. Quite the progress since you starting driving the car! Here I thought u didnt like 240s
That's because I had never driven a NICE one... Lol. It's changed me. I don't really think they look as good as a 140 does, BUT, the drive is nicer... Granted, I haven't driven a NICE 140 either, so...
Old 12-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #35
PWRPUFF
narf!

Quote:
Yep I'm sure.

(As a sidenote, Kyle and I have sorta known each other even before either of us were here on t-bricks, hence references go back to those days. I suppose it's awkward to anyone else, though. Back then, my 144 was still a daily driver, he was just learning about maintaining and repairing his 142, and I only had 3 Volvos, so that's saying something!)

-- Kane
Old 12-05-2005, 11:51 PM   #36
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Last edited by Tuff240; 06-16-2008 at 07:28 PM..
Old 12-08-2005, 03:02 AM   #37
klr142
Turbo, what?

Lol, Kane, no one is saying anything about you, Pat and I have lived together for almost 6 months now, so we've got some of our own references and ish-talking going on too.

I played with my intake yesterday after work... I adjusted the kick-down cable to allow for full throttle, bent the tab that stops the throttle spool at idle and full throttle for a longer range, adjust linkage from throttle body to throttle spool, removed rear AMM screen, and cut out some of the front of the airbox. Now it pulls MUCH better up top and sounds great doing it! Definitely time for an exhaust to make it REALLY happy and even MORE fast and better sounding. Can't wait! I just need to pick it up from down in Albany...

BUT, before that, there are other things that I actually NEED to take care of. The car's alignment is OFF. Mainly the toe, and then the camber needs to be evened out, I'm going to go for -1 degree in the front, and is caster adjustable at all? Probably not... Before I can get it aligned though, I need to get the strut reinforcement plates and my strut tower bars! They should be arriving early next week, and I can get the reinforcement plates then too, and then FINALLY get an alignment. Currently the car hops a little bit, a quick bouncing, almost like the shocks are blown, but they're not, when taking hard turns at lower/medium speeds. With the strut tower bars and the alignment and reinforcement plates, the front of the car will be a little higher, and the suspension will effectively be a little a little stiffer, so we'll see how that pans out with the correct toe(zero).

I think after the exhaust, which follows the alignment, I'll be getting tint and gathering parts for the manual swap.
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=57980

Last edited by klr142; 12-08-2005 at 08:39 PM..
Old 12-08-2005, 12:35 PM   #38
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Old 12-08-2005, 06:12 PM   #39
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
In lamens terms...
Camber is how much the top of your tire leans if you are looking at it from the front or rear of your car. Think of an old VW Bug that is really low in the rear. It is adjustable, but limited.

Caster is not adjustable stock, or easily modifiable. That is how much your strut assembly leans for or aft if looking at the car from the side.

Sounds like it is bottoming out and skipping. You need to take me for a ride and show me as that is NOT good.
I know what camber is...

I really don't think it's bottoming out, this is after I get off the brakes,(thus the front lifts up a tad), and just go through the turn. It's similar to how my car "skips" when at full lock in reverse... One tire is trying to turn more than the other, and causing one of them to slip more than the other.

I just found a set of IPD sways at a junkyard... I think they're the 25/22 setup as they're on a wagon, but the front of the car was smashed HARD, and the front swaybar isn't quite where it's supposed to be, so I don't know if it's straight or not. Hopefully it IS.

Last edited by klr142; 04-16-2007 at 06:31 PM..
Old 12-08-2005, 08:26 PM   #40
b4_ford
Looking for Bay Area work

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142
I just found a set of IPD sways at a junkyard... I think they're the 25/23 setup as they're on a wagon, but the front of the car was smashed HARD, and the front swaybar isn't quite where it's supposed to be, so I don't know if it's straight or not. Hopefully it IS.
No, it isn't bent. The only thing that was trashed was driver's side mounting bracket. It was a pain in the ass to pull! I broke a serious effin sweat! I haven't measured yet but I think the rear is 23mm. I grabbed both of them for ya. Also got a manual and some guages that I think you wanted. Any tranny that he has is $75.00 if you pull it for the rest of the month. The bars were $50.00.

b4_ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 08:36 PM   #41
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Old 12-08-2005, 08:37 PM   #42
klr142
Turbo, what?

You already pulled them???? Glad to hear it isn't bent... Lol, he better have given you that manual and guages for free... I think let him charge me too much for the correct tach... $20! There was also a fog light switch which I nabbed, some Virgo lug nuts that I put in the glovebox of the car that you pulled the sways off of, and then there was some other stuff there as well. Including some ok-ish black headrest inserts, but one of the tabs broke off I think when I pulled it off the seat, the calipers and maybe the rotors as well off of the 164, and a 16v engine... Looked like a very mildly touched yard indeed! The guy definitely wanted money for things though. I don't know how much I want to pull that tranny, and damnit, I forgot to check what year the car was! I was going to check that, but forgot. I want to know if it's LH2.4 or not. I wonder if the pedal assembly is in decent condition anymore, probably not... I called Ross and told him about the 164, it has some stuff that he'd like for his car...
Old 12-08-2005, 08:38 PM   #43
klr142
Turbo, what?

Quote:
If you know what it is, then why did you ask if it was adjustable?
I asked if CASTER was adjustable. Well, that's what I was supposed to type if I typed camber instead... I know what both are, I just didn't know if there was some sort of way of adjusting the caster on the car that I don't know about yet. Guess not...

EDIT: Damn, I did say Camber... Idiot... That's already "maxxed", lol. Fixed it.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:22 PM   #44
b4_ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142
You already pulled them???? Glad to hear it isn't bent... Lol, he better have given you that manual and guages for free... I think let him charge me too much for the correct tach... $20! There was also a fog light switch which I nabbed, some Virgo lug nuts that I put in the glovebox of the car that you pulled the sways off of, and then there was some other stuff there as well. Including some ok-ish black headrest inserts, but one of the tabs broke off I think when I pulled it off the seat, the calipers and maybe the rotors as well off of the 164, and a 16v engine... Looked like a very mildly touched yard indeed! The guy definitely wanted money for things though. I don't know how much I want to pull that tranny, and damnit, I forgot to check what year the car was! I was going to check that, but forgot. I want to know if it's LH2.4 or not. I wonder if the pedal assembly is in decent condition anymore, probably not... I called Ross and told him about the 164, it has some stuff that he'd like for his car...
Yeah, the only bent thing is my hand after my pry bar slipped. As I recall it is an '88. It has the newer style seatbelt assembly. Kane, do you know what year they started that? If you want to do a tranny pull I'm going to be getting a floor jack and a pair of stands soon. At least that yard has an asphalt surface instead of the usual mud, dirt, and gravel yards.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:35 PM   #45
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Last edited by Tuff240; 06-16-2008 at 07:29 PM..
Old 12-08-2005, 10:44 PM   #46
b4_ford

Quote:
That started in 87 iirc, along with the m47.
Better design, I think. I'm thinking of swapping out on my '86.
Old 12-08-2005, 10:54 PM   #47
Tuff240
240 Ninja

Last edited by Tuff240; 06-16-2008 at 07:30 PM..
Old 12-08-2005, 11:04 PM   #48
b4_ford

Quote:
It gives you an extra cubby hole if nothing else. I think you need the actual belt also though.
Yep, need the belts. The anchoring point on the newer style doesn't interfere with the armrest. Call me lame but I like having a cupholder...
Old 12-14-2005, 03:21 AM   #49
klr142
Turbo, what?

Strut tower bars came in the mail today... Strut reinforcement plates were supposed to be ordered today, but I think someone, who works at the Vshop but with an Orange V, forgot to do so... Alignment coming soon! Oh, of note, the right front strut tower-firewall brace will be a hard fit. For some reason the bolt hole in the firewall doesn't want to line up easily with the strut brace, so we'll see how that turns out when we get it on a hoist.

I hope to put on a turbo exhaust this saturday, but reeferman's hiding, and I don't blame him. I almost want to just plop the money down for one from IPD instead of going down to Albany and getting a used turbo exhaust for free that's in decent condition(as far as I know anyway).

Torque rod bushings need to go in as well... And I need to pick up the 25/22 IPD bars I found in the yard and put them in as well.

And the stupid construction people need to hurry the F up and give me a proper road and driveway back. I hate scraping the damn ground!

Last edited by klr142; 03-18-2006 at 05:38 PM..
Old 12-18-2005, 02:14 AM   #50
klr142
Turbo, what?

Did the strut tower braces, strut tower reinforcement plates, oil/filter change(M1 10w30 and MANN 917), and lengthened my panhard rod one turn last night. Oh, and added awesome V Shop license plate frames... The car rides noticeably better now with the stiffer structure up front, awesome mod! Now, I just need to figure out why it didn't want to get as much negative camber at the right front with everything bolted on... :( We'll see what the alignment peoples can do, hopefully get 1 degree up front on both sides, that's all I want...

My mom needed a picture of me "at work", so I'm using this posed substitute of me working on nothing at the V Shop(instead of on work at my work, Eurocar)...

And here's a pic of the braces installed. Will eventually paint the GT braces black to match... And the engine bay will be cleaned when it stops being freaking freezing outside.

And, FWIW, I just started gathering parts for a +T... 90+ manifold! w00.