home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 08-05-2007, 03:25 AM   #126
klr142
Turbo, what?

Nah, it's not a quiet exhaust, it was quiet before and I still heard this noise actually. But that downpipe had a visible crack in it that was leaking that I assumed the sound was coming from. The sound is now even a bit louder with the new exhaust, I'll have to take a closer look tomorrow.

The mileage could be better, but it's not a manual or a wagon, so I guess it's not bad. I mean, I KNOW it's not bad compared to what I've gotten on this car before... w00h00!
klr142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 02:13 AM   #127
klr142
Turbo, what?

WOAH! It was freaking QUICK just now. It's still learning the 2.5bar FPR, but man, it's going to be good, better gas mileage, and MORE POWER!!! It feels GREAT. I'm stoked! Now to get those springs and HDs installed up front... I bought some stuff so I can start doing it at home tomorrow instead of trying to find somewhere else with stuff to do it. KICKASS!

10/13/12 Edit: Hahahaha, such a funny little kid... "QUICK", my butt. My "stock" '87 DL is just as fast as this thing was at the time. Sad. Well, the things you learn over the years!

Last edited by klr142; 10-13-2012 at 03:11 PM..
Old 08-08-2007, 01:12 AM   #128
klr142
Turbo, what?

http://www.ovtuners.org/gallery/albu...16_G.sized.jpg

HDs are installed, I'm not bothering with the springs. At least not for now. Getting the HDs in up front was a big enough PITA of sorts(see the picture above for one reason, man did that feel wrong). The car feels great compared to the KYBs... It wants a 23 or 22mm rear swaybar though... Anyone have one for trade with a 25mm one?

Oh, and I found my exhaust leak noise... The downpipe is split open. *sigh* All that work on something that's broken. I'll be on the lookout for a replacement I guess. I wish I had seen that though, damnit!

Last edited by klr142; 08-08-2007 at 01:35 AM..
Old 08-08-2007, 01:40 PM   #129
TurboBrickMan
Board Member

I have my turbo wagon swaybar laying around here somewhere...
Quote:
Originally Posted by John V, outside agitator View Post
Talk to your girlfriend about sex.
It really doesn't mean you don't love her if your drunk as a skunk and you have sex with 3 Finnish girls on the lawn cause you were on the way to the lake to hop in and cool off from the sauna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Massage View Post
Yes, let's all live out our fantasies through this man. This turbo brick man.
TurboBrickMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:33 PM   #130
klr142
Turbo, what?

Simon dropped one off at my work unannounced today, w000! It's going on tomorrow and I'll be ALL SET! Except for improving the aerodynamics of a brick, but hey, we can't have everything now can we.
Old 08-18-2007, 03:43 PM   #131
klr142
Turbo, what?

Well, I got a new left front turn signal lense, so that's good news, I still need to locate a left front headlight though.(Both were damaged on a rocky logging trail in Canada that I wasn't planning on being on)

On another not so happy note, I noticed some new body damage on my car today... There's an outward dent or two on the right rear 1/4 panel from junk in the trunk flying around. Very likely from all the stuff I had in there on my way up to Canada. NOT COOL!!! I need to look into getting dents repaired, and if it can be done without paint fixing... I doubt it though, they're all small issues(trunk lid has a few, and some on the left front fender, a couple little dings on the right rear door), but still.

As far as plans for the car go, I'm putting the 25mm rear sway back on, in anticipation of some stiffer front springs. Like 200+lb front springs. After that, the car should be pretty balanced, but I'll probably try and get some Konis(either red or yellow) for the rear of the car, as I'm not satisfied with the stiffness of the rear Bilstein HDs. With the stiffer front springs, it'll be nice to stiffen up the rear a bit more too.

I also can't wait to get a good header pipe on there so the car leans out, gets better gas mileage, and makes more power. The exhaust leaks there, before the O2 sensor, and throws off the reading. I assume.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:43 AM   #132
klr142
Turbo, what?

Car had a birthday on the way up to Canada a month ago. 1/8th of the way there...

It's currently rolling on Rikens and has no inside wheel traction what so freaking ever if I try to turn and accelerate at the same time. I'm looking for a 21mm rear bar, as I'm not going to get around to making the front stiffer any time soon, and a 21 rear bar is cheaper and easier.

Someone forgot to add an inch or two to the outside of these wheels... Bastards...

I also re-hooked up the timing advance mod, and tossed in some premium gas with a little bit of octane booster as well to make sure it doesn't detonate... It's pulling great right now, and hopefully I can put down some new best 1/4 times tomorrow night. Assuming it isn't raining.

Last edited by klr142; 09-14-2007 at 03:54 AM..
Old 09-14-2007, 07:53 AM   #133
GTJordan
Been here for too long

Looks good Kyle. My pops was saying you had the nicest 240 he had seen in a very long time (at the 06 meet)

Thanks again for driving the parts up! Keep up the good work with the two fo fo

Jordan
Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #134
klr142
Turbo, what?

Thanks! So you managed to get everything, that's good to hear.
Old 09-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #135
Tuff240
240 Ninja

-Patrick

Last edited by Tuff240; 06-16-2008 at 07:31 PM..
Tuff240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 03:46 PM   #136
klr142
Turbo, what?

I'm not sure if the LSD would solve things, or just make me tail happy... But yeah, I want a T5 in there before anything else. Turbo is the last thing this'll get. Ok, maybe not the last, but it's way up there.
Old 09-28-2007, 07:08 PM   #137
klr142
Turbo, what?

I can't drive around in the wet with these s**t tires with a 25mm rear bar and cut wagon springs. It's dangerous. Even slowing down is dangerous, I can't accellerate for s**t. I need to corner weight my car and cut the springs some more to balance it out a bit, haha. A limited slip differential will only help so much(not much). Much better tires'll help too, but it still won't be enough.

On another note, I had the thought pop into my head to sell this car again... I couldn't figure out a way to keep it in my life with the projects I want, but now I have it figured out, and it can stay forever! It'll eventually morph into a fast(tuuuuurbo), cool car for weekend fun and teasing other people with. Then I'll have a 142 race car, and a 145 DD. Sweetness.
Old 09-28-2007, 09:10 PM   #138
sk8daysaweek
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr142 View Post
On another note, I had the thought pop into my head to sell this car again... I couldn't figure out a way to keep it in my life with the projects I want, but now I have it figured out, and it can stay forever! It'll eventually morph into a fast(tuuuuurbo), cool car for weekend fun and teasing other people with. Then I'll have a 142 race car, and a 145 DD. Sweetness.

A. Everyone who loves volvos is jealous of this car...
B. Turbo + The Patented Kyle perfection = one badass car
C. Your ratio above is perfect! one240:two140's

also, after riding in this thing, I gotta say, compared to all other volvos I've ever ridden in, this has to be one of the cleanest and most unexpectedly fast ones ever. Throw some widened steelies with hubcaps on em' and you'll have the ultimate sleeper.

Keep it up!
Old 09-28-2007, 09:15 PM   #139
klr142
Turbo, what?

Haha, why thank you man! I don't know about the steelies though... And I freaking wish the car's speed would make an appearance when we go to the strip on the 7th...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:32 PM   #140
sk8daysaweek
Board Member

Oh it will. You just gotta throw an e-fan on it, and you'll do fine. Cool weather = faster times. I only wish I could run the wagon by then....
sk8daysaweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 09:50 PM   #141
klr142
Turbo, what?

But an e-fan costs money... And I'm already spending money this month, blah. I might give in though. Or see if I can borrow one temporarily.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:19 PM   #142
sk8daysaweek
Board Member

If I don't run, you can borrow mine....
sk8daysaweek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 03:23 AM   #143
klr142
Turbo, what?

So... The car currently has no rear sway bar, no bracing up or down up front... Handles surprisingly well. I'm not overwelmed with understeer as expected. I still pick up the inside rear tire, but not as much. I'm probably going to toss on a stock sized rear swaybar(16mm, maybe 19) and call it good for now until I get around to installing some stiffer springs up front. I will be reinstalling the front bracing, or at least the GT firewall braces and then I'll make some custom alloy lower braces to reduce weight. Everything's off right now in anticipation of the drags on Sunday. I still don't have **** for traction though, off the line the right rear lights up, and once it shifts into second it lights up again(in the wet, ). We'll see if disconnecting the front swaybar will help out with that at all.

Currently doing some research about new tires for the Tethys, I want them back on, NOW!

Jason, can I borrow your e-fan and your rear tires? Please???
Old 10-05-2007, 11:32 AM   #144
NChoy
18 bricks and counting

Quote:
I need to look into getting dents repaired, and if it can be done without paint fixing...
Paintless dent removal... my neighbor Jason. Real cheap and quick. He can do it in my driveway (or his, two doors down). He's buffing out the red 142 as I type this, and will soon thereafter press out all the dings/dents.

Nick Choy
Founder, Oregon Volvo Tuners
覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧
'04 S60R, '98 V70R AWD, '93 244DL, '89 245DL, '71 142e, '67 122s

Feedback Thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=20272
NChoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:40 AM   #145
klr142
Turbo, what?

Yeah, I stopped by a place and got a quote for $100 a panel... I have way too many panels for that, lol. And there are spots that are from the inside of the trunk, and the paint's f'd on those... :-\

I can't wait to see your car!!!!! And drive it. I need to see what it feels like.

And I've decided that General Exclaim UHP 215/45-17s are the next set of tires for the Tethys. Can't wait to get them mounted up with some 32/38 adapters from Dale...
Old 10-05-2007, 12:02 PM   #146
stylngle2003
Board Member

kyle, for drag traction, try a big rear bar and no front bar
1996 Chevrolet Tahoe LS 2WD (hauls ass)
1990 Mazda Miata (track toy)
stylngle2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:04 PM   #147
klr142
Turbo, what?

But big bars weigh a lot... Haha. I'll see if I can have someone bring a stock sized rear bar. I'm going to at least disconnect the front bar, not sure if I'll remove it all the way. I guess I might as well with how far I'm going with other stuff...
Old 10-05-2007, 10:30 PM   #148
Redwood Chair
K-jet For Life

Quote:
But big bars weigh a lot... Haha. I'll see if I can have someone bring a stock sized rear bar. I'm going to at least disconnect the front bar, not sure if I'll remove it all the way. I guess I might as well with how far I'm going with other stuff...
Fill the tires with Helium.

Image hosted by servimg.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post
Folks on here don't know a good deal when they see it.
how psi stock cna support?

Redwood Chair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 08:53 AM   #149
boosted
Board Member

Your 244 is beautiful.. i wish my front suspension could look like that...
Old 10-06-2007, 07:06 PM   #150
klr142
Turbo, what?

Thanks man! It my front suspension doesn't look nearly that nice right now, but that's mainly because it's covered with dust and a little bit of oil seeping from my rear main and oil pan... Blah.