• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Some interesting stuff while doing headgasket.

What was the object?

I told you. It's a Cookie!

Where is the object?

Took a bite, chewed it up, spit it out. Too stale and hard.

353jFN.gif

FOD ingestion is usually isolated to one (maybe two) cylinders.

I believe it's spelled FOOD.

Dude, it's for cookie... Read the comments.

Nobody reads. Too busy arguing.

Last edited:
Too much focus of appearance of damage versus distribution.

Discount FOD because of impossibility of the marks being limited to one edge of a piston.

Taking the violence of the surge of intake and exhaust between the explosions of combustion, try to envison a foreign object repeatedly only damaging the same area, and not bouncing out anywhere else.

Unlikely.

to unify theories, the staple or cookie may have damaged the area in a few cycles and then was blown out, which caused hot spots that focused detonation damage in a local area.

to unify theories, the staple or cookie may have damaged the area in a few cycles and then was blown out, which caused hot spots that focused detonation damage in a local area.

'C' denotes the piston diameter. Have to dig it up from a green book. Bentley manual has the chart included IIRC.

'Tis not a staple ;-)

Too much focus of appearance of damage versus distribution.

Discount FOD because of impossibility of the marks being limited to one edge of a piston.

Taking the violence of the surge of intake and exhaust between the explosions of combustion, try to envison a foreign object repeatedly only damaging the same area, and not bouncing out anywhere else.

Unlikely.

I was thinking about the distribution as well, and agree. Must have been a burnt snickerdoodle to inflict that kind of damage.

There's an obvious solution here. See if the marks on the head line up with the marks on the piston. If so, FOD! If not, det!

My detonated pistons looked pitted and grainy, but maybe forged pistons damage differently?

I know nothing about this but curious as to whether or not that spark plug hole had a helicoil repair to it.

I'll post some pics of the plug tomorrow.

I noticed some of the gouging had buildup on the end. Kind of like a plow with snow. Whether it was bits of aluminum from det or FOD it looks kind of like an object got knocked around (no pun intended)

Back