• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

pressing control arm bushings

Burn rubber out, saw zaw out bushing part. Lube inside of control arm and push in with vice/ press.

I used a bench vice to press mine in without issues. I recommend a non chinese made vice.

I made use of my bro in laws 12 ton harbor freight press and that got the job done (was still a pita). I have heard that a 20 ton press is recommended.

I made use of my bro in laws 12 ton harbor freight press and that got the job done (was still a pita). I have heard that a 20 ton press is recommended.

Yeah it takes about 10 to get them to pop. Depends on rust. I thought I shattered my control arm when one let loose.

Burn it out, Sawzall sleeve, install poly...

I damaged a Kurt vise doing this same thing. It was my buddies idea, and his vise, so I went with it. Bad idea. Luckily it was rebuildable, and it happened at work, so work bought the parts to fix it! ;)

Heat before you press out and feed in a little AFT/acetone mix or PB Blaster (don't light it on fire). They will come out with only a few tons. Don't do this and you have wind it up and get a real press. When installing, I usually grind a little taper on the bushing as it's hard to get them to centre in the bore. Sometimes I will still mess up one - never buy only 4.

A good vice will do the job. Burning the bush out and cleaning out the shell for poly bushes is the easy way out of doing the job.

so.. i burnt out the bushing and used sawzaw....
the vise was pretty cheap, but i had no idea the bushings would be that tough to remove....
installing the Polys...
thanx guys....

The Vise is working hard.

Press and correct tools is working smart.... and quickly.

I use a C-Clamp press for this job. Clamps in the vice and just a little awkward holding the pieces to push both directions but goes fast. With the C-Clamp press a 1/2" gun will push it out and in right now.

Oh.... This belongs in 'Maintenance.'

Back