• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Official LH2.4 EZK Wasted Spark Conversion - Installation Instructions

I'm very close to going thru with the wasted spark install. I have the bosch 2x2 coil and miata power stage, im a few days away from ordering the wasted spark board.

A few questions first,
I deleted my last post on here because I see it was answered earlier, but just to be sure...
Using a gold chippable ezk with a custom chip installed should not have any adverse effects, correct? I have access to a ezk that does not have the daughter chip, but I would like to keep the option to adjust/have other people adjust my ezk tune.

Plus, while helping with my brothers install, he used 18 gauge IIRC (tho it might have been 16) on the board to ezk connections and it would of been a lot easier if we went with a smaller wire. These are just signal wires right? So what's the smallest wire one could use, like 22 gauge?

Then, wires that go from the wasted spark board to the power stage and from power stage to coil? I would guess bigger gauge for those, but I'm no expert in wires.

Any help is appreciated!

I used 20 awg, it's perfect. I also used 20 awg for the rest

For the wires within the EZK box, almost anything is big enough. Ask your office computer support person for a bad Ethernet patch cable, or a couple feet of stranded cat5 cable, pull the inner wires out and you'll have plenty of easy-to-work-with 24ga wire. For the power stage to coil, 18ga is ok.

And yes, wasted spark with or without chipping the box is OK.

Awesome, I picked up some 20 gauge the other day, and I have 18 laying around. I have the board now as well, the only thing holding me back is mounting location...

Some progress...

I've got the board mounted inside the EZK box and all connected up, just a few more things to collect before I start mounting things in the car...

I've made a stand off plate to go above the rocker cover - how long do I need the long nuts to be to hold the plate high enough to clear the curve of the rocker cover and the part of the Bosch 2X2 coil that hangs through the plate?

Yes I know, easy to measure - but I'm away from the car and hoping to get everything together for next time I go and work on it. If anyone could measure for me, that'd be great - thank you!

Cheers

Some progress...

I've got the board mounted inside the EZK box and all connected up, just a few more things to collect before I start mounting things in the car...

I've made a stand off plate to go above the rocker cover - how long do I need the long nuts to be to hold the plate high enough to clear the curve of the rocker cover and the part of the Bosch 2X2 coil that hangs through the plate?

Yes I know, easy to measure - but I'm away from the car and hoping to get everything together for next time I go and work on it. If anyone could measure for me, that'd be great - thank you!

Cheers

This pdf has dimensions on the last sheet, but not the one you're looking for. I can take a measurement for you later today.

http://www.finjector.com/verkkokauppa/documents/550bedaf32fb6/Double_Fire_Coil_2x2_Datasheet_0221503407.pdf

Thanks - I've got the coil here, I can measure the distance the coil extends below the mounting point height... just checked it's 15mm. So take off the 3mm thickness of my sheet, leaves 12mm protruding down below the sheet.

I'm wondering how high the nuts have to be to be so that the bottom of the coil clears the curve of the rocker cover?

if the rocker cover was flat then in theory 12mm long nuts (add in some extra for a bit of clearance of course) would be enough, but the rocker cover is curved...

cheers

ASX3Cykl.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Actually this is clearer - what's the combined length of nuts in this pic?

Cheers

You are quite right.
Having now got off my arse and actually taken a look, I realise my recollection does not match reality. I have the same coil which is mounted to a flat plate with similar stand-offs so that the bottom is above the plate.

You are quite right.
Having now got off my arse and actually taken a look, I realise my recollection does not match reality. I have the same coil which is mounted to a flat plate with similar stand-offs so that the bottom is above the plate.

Ok great- and 35mm standoffs are enough?

I shall order some more bits and pieces...

Cheers

Okay so after reading this I'm still confused.
What are the best options for coils and power stage?
I love the look of the ls coils on the valve cover as opposed to the ugly bsi bracket with cool smack bang in the middle of the engine bay.
Can I use any ls coils? From a golden or ford?
Along with a Mazda mx5 power stage?

i used 2nd gen leading coils. used the stock powerstage, just added a few leads to the plug. cant remember beyond that. it was a lot of years ago. as far as mounting i made standoffs that screwed onto the valvecover studs, bolted a piece of phanalic to that and bolted the coils to the plate

Can we please get a list of coils and igniters which work on lh2.4 cars ?
Maybe you could add sections to the front page with what works.

I've heard d585 could work but need a different chip from turbotankshane to work?
Seeking cheap options that don't use that 2x2 Bosch coil pack. It's ugly.

Can we please get a list of coils and igniters which work on lh2.4 cars ?
Maybe you could add sections to the front page with what works.

I've heard d585 could work but need a different chip from turbotankshane to work?
Seeking cheap options that don't use that 2x2 Bosch coil pack. It's ugly.

That's a good idea; I will work on putting that list together.

If your main concern about the Bosch 2x2 coil pack is that it's ugly, then maybe consider a different mounting location. On my 242 I mounted it down where the distributor would be on a regular 240 redblock. This is a 940 block that originally had the rear head-mount distributor so it's got a plug in the 240 spot.

I made this little bracket that mounts the coil right over the flat empty area.

For plug wires I used a set made for a 240, but changed the ends on the coil side to the 740/940 style, which is what the Bosch coil uses.

rALQSsVl.jpg

zdGfklal.jpg

Un289u4l.jpg

Here's what it looks like from a few feet away:

JaIeFfUl.jpg

Thanks duder! That's a way cleaner install!
Simply put - I quite like the look of using coils which are mounted on the deeworks bracket on top of the valve cover.
I'm thinking I would like to find some good used coils to start with and something that is available here in Australia.
Would love a list of what works or more info to find out what I should be looking for in potential candidates so i may be able to find something local that is plentiful.

Last edited:
Back