home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 06-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #26
Ahtum
Board Member

I did it!

Holy crap, though, that was the most ridiculous night though. Me and my brother jacked it up, stuck stands underneath it and I pulled the plugs from the transmission. Then when I tried to pull them through the shift tunnel they ripped. So long story short we added wire, spliced, soldered it all together, shielded the hell out of it with electrical tape, and halfway through it started raining torrentially (I was soaked from being under the car and trying to put the damn plugs back for like 20 minutes in let me tell you - it was such a tight space). It was so damn frustrating, and I'm sorry there were no pics since it was dark and rainy and my phone died halfway through.

But thank you for the tips on what the issue might be and how to use the multimeter. That was insane but thanks to you guys the reverse lights work and I didn't have to spend crap tons on labor. They probably would have had to take the transmission out since it was almost inaccessible for my hands and I'm pretty small myself. You guys are amazing. I'm pumped as hell. Woop woop!
Ahtum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:07 PM   #27
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Hey man thanks for posting back. Makes me feel good that I could help. I know the feeling very well of successfully fixing a car. I do it basically every day now. Today was digging out a leaky thermostat housing "sammich" on a 2009 Ranger 4.0 V6. Also tidied up the strobe light install. Got it done, successfully, then got to go home for the day. Nothing but win.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #28
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahtum View Post
I did it!

Holy crap, though, that was the most ridiculous night though. Me and my brother jacked it up, stuck stands underneath it and I pulled the plugs from the transmission. Then when I tried to pull them through the shift tunnel they ripped. So long story short we added wire, spliced, soldered it all together, shielded the hell out of it with electrical tape, and halfway through it started raining torrentially (I was soaked from being under the car and trying to put the damn plugs back for like 20 minutes in let me tell you - it was such a tight space). It was so damn frustrating, and I'm sorry there were no pics since it was dark and rainy and my phone died halfway through.

But thank you for the tips on what the issue might be and how to use the multimeter. That was insane but thanks to you guys the reverse lights work and I didn't have to spend crap tons on labor. They probably would have had to take the transmission out since it was almost inaccessible for my hands and I'm pretty small myself. You guys are amazing. I'm pumped as hell. Woop woop!
Great job! Hope you pass inspection with no more problems. I need to get smogged soon myself...
Navigating the Siskiyous in a 3 wheeled Volvo will not end well.
Khrrck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:00 AM   #29
Ahtum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Hey man thanks for posting back. Makes me feel good that I could help. I know the feeling very well of successfully fixing a car. I do it basically every day now. Today was digging out a leaky thermostat housing "sammich" on a 2009 Ranger 4.0 V6. Also tidied up the strobe light install. Got it done, successfully, then got to go home for the day. Nothing but win.
It's the best feeling in the world. It's like man, I did this myself. It's the best kind of pride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrrck View Post
Great job! Hope you pass inspection with no more problems. I need to get smogged soon myself...
Haha, thank you. I actually think I don't have to pass emissions, since it's a 25 year old car, right? Which is nice, if that's the case. What year is yours?
Old 06-29-2015, 12:30 AM   #30
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

We don't know MA laws!

California emissions laws are strict, but it's for good reason. When you see the smog cloud over LA you know why the laws are in place.

I am kinda surprised CA doesn't have any type of vehicle safety inspection laws. I have heard in Nevada, shops are required to hold your vehicle if it isn't safe to be on the road. You can only tow it out if they deem it unsafe. Not 100% on that one though. It would be tough being the guy to have to break the bad news that their car is being held hostage for safety reasons....

It sure is sketchy on the roads when it rains here in the desert. People drive way too fast on ****ty tires and crash. There are something like OVER 200 accidents in the city each day when it rains around here.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:44 AM   #31
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

My car is '87. I suspect it'll pass fine, although I may need to replace some vacuum hoses and clean my intake. Here in Portland your car has to be '75 or older to be smog exempt alas.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:11 AM   #32
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Yeah here in CA certain rural counties don't smog.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:38 PM   #33
Jesse B
Champly Motors, Inc.

Quote:
I did it!

Hey, I know that car (friends with the seller)!

I had a feeling that's why those reverse lights didn't work.

Despite the rust that car is a serious champ.
'11 XC70, T6
Jesse B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:41 PM   #34
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Non-structural rust is just a badge of character.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:48 PM   #35
Jesse B
Champly Motors, Inc.

Quote:
Haha, thank you. I actually think I don't have to pass emissions, since it's a 25 year old car, right? Which is nice, if that's the case. What year is yours?
You do not need to pass emissions.
Old 06-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #36
jerryc
Board Member

I'm from MA, so am familiar with the state inspections. They really check a lot; ball joints, tire wear, rust...
A guy who I sorta knew had a 911. He said it was handling funny, especially at 80-90. I put it on the lift and took a look.
The bottom of his struts were connected to... nothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
There isn't one because dudes aren't grossed out by unsolicited vaginas.
jerryc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #37
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

my struts connect to something
Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 PM   #38
Ahtum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse B View Post
Hey, I know that car (friends with the seller)!

I had a feeling that's why those reverse lights didn't work.

Despite the rust that car is a serious champ.
I know! He did a damn good job with it, he kept it really nice. It's got some rusty areas but it runs like a dream, and I love it.

Quote:
You do not need to pass emissions.
That's a relief, haha - one less thing to worry about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryc View Post
I'm from MA, so am familiar with the state inspections. They really check a lot; ball joints, tire wear, rust...
A guy who I sorta knew had a 911. He said it was handling funny, especially at 80-90. I put it on the lift and took a look.
The bottom of his struts were connected to... nothing.
Hahahahaha how the hell does that happen that is terrifying! I'm glad they found that.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #39
Jesse B
Champly Motors, Inc.

PM if you end up needing help with it. I've got access to lots of 240 parts, etc. And have owned 240s for quite some time now.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #40
bwiley240sedan
Professor Dickweed

Welcome to the board, and nice work on that reverse light situation! Definitely grab that Bentley manual as soon as you can. So much good info.

Oh, and this place sells replacement sections for the 240: http://www.fixmyrust.com/Item/1975-1...ll_Driver_Side. Not too bad at $43 bucks!
bwiley240sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:17 PM   #41
Khrrck
Professional Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiley240sedan View Post
Welcome to the board, and nice work on that reverse light situation! Definitely grab that Bentley manual as soon as you can. So much good info.

Oh, and this place sells replacement sections for the 240: http://www.fixmyrust.com/Item/1975-1...ll_Driver_Side. Not too bad at $43 bucks!
Yeah, but how much is shipping? I'd check the Pick-N-Pull first. ;)
Old 07-03-2015, 10:48 PM   #42
bwiley240sedan
Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khrrck View Post
Yeah, but how much is shipping? I'd check the Pick-N-Pull first. ;)
A cordless sawzall would make quick work of it in a junkyard for sure—and he should definitely check there first—but if the cars in the yard in MA are anything like the cars were in Minnesota I'd bet they all have this same problem more or less.
bwiley240sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 01:42 AM   #43
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

what are these words of rusty buttcheeks?
Old 07-07-2015, 08:57 PM   #44
Ahtum
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiley240sedan View Post

Holy crap! Wow, that's actually really cool I didn't know that that was a thing. I might do that instead. How much would welding it in place be, do you think?

Quote:
PM if you end up needing help with it. I've got access to lots of 240 parts, etc. And have owned 240s for quite some time now.
Thank you! I'll absolutely do that.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:41 AM   #45
TBB

Default Can not reach reverse switch to connect wires ...

[QUOTE=nudextro;5194520]when I got my 240 Manual, the reverse lights did not work. I had a harness hanging from the bottom center of the car by the shifter area, and it needed to get plugged in on top of the transmission. Literally had 2 prongs on top of the transmission, high up above the cross member. Had to hug the tranny to find them and re connect.
---------------------------------
nudextro ...
How did you get your hand up in there!!!

I am having a hell of a time getting a hand up to the switch. I can not grip a contact with my thumb and finger and still get it through the space by the transmission. I can only touch the prongs and base of the switch with my fingers.

I have dropped the transmission as far as it will go before the engine jams on the firewall.

I need suggestions.
I do wear a size Large glove.
---------------------------------
1988 244 DL; B230F; LH-2.2; Manual 5-speed (M47)
TBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #46
XxJenoxX
Skin Suit

How did we get a post from 2015 bumped?

AND THEN THERE WERE TWO (and a half)
2008 XC70 3.2: Stubborn sensor on wheels
1992 M47 240 Wagon: Why did anyone let me have anything this nice?
1990 240 DL: Parts car
1983 242 TIC +M46: Ticket to the 242 Crush Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxJenoxX View Post
I have no idea what's going on, but I think I can fit more 8====D in my mouth than 240240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilford Brimley View Post
Mmmmmm curvy girls and cock excess
XxJenoxX is online now   Reply With Quote