home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-18-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Default battery drain after sitting over winter.

Alrighty, 90 245 aw70, stock heap.

The car charged fine before sitting over the winter. I attempted to begin running it again and now i get a pretty steady battery drain, no charging, etc. I am glad i did not move it durring the winter only to have the battery frozen killed.

Grounds to the charging system test fine, and externally jumping them does not change anything.

However, i get only get the CEL, service light, oil, and the OD/downshift arrow when switching the ignition to position 2. Of those the service light and od/downshift arrow both go off nearly immediately one after the other.
When i ground the alternators exciter wire i get all appropriate dash warning lights on solid when in position 2 on the ignition switch like i should.

Anybody have any suggestion where to go next, i am guessing something is shorted, ...but where. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks everyone!

92 240 wagon, aw70, (tool box, prepping to be driver) new mexico clean!
92 745tic mild stuff done(7s and 9s are not 240s, pulling engine to build for the 77, ask for parts, body is clean) for sale?
92 245 modified (sold)
77 244 dl (almost done with resto... SOOON)
91 245 m47, rust bucket winter beater (driver, now parts)
90 234 aw70, side swiped winter beater (driver)
72 ford highboy, farm rig
95 chevy g20, family pet pig.

Last edited by odinthewanderer; 05-18-2018 at 04:37 PM.. Reason: changed 91 to 90
odinthewanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 04:45 PM   #2
apachechef
Burnt Sierra Madre

Voltmeter it.

exciter wire to 12V+ does what?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse8931 View Post
Well keep us updated on how your dumbass plan goes.
apachechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:34 PM   #3
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachechef View Post
Voltmeter it.

exciter wire to 12V+ does what?
Thankyou, it reads at battery voltage.
Old 05-18-2018, 07:51 PM   #4
TestPoint
Board Member

Any precious little mice winter over with the heap?

1982 Volvo 245 with a Ford 302 V8

Ford V8 Conversion Manual -
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=250257

Bertone Restoration - http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=256460
TestPoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:07 PM   #5
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
Any precious little mice winter over with the heap?

Yea, the question there is not of mice or not, but of how many. However nothing looks obviously disturbed so far, i'll pull the instrument panel tomorrow. We have some in the kitchen I am currently hunting. I don't care if i hear them from time to time, but when i see them... its bad.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:22 PM   #6
odinthewanderer
Board Member

also, with key off i get full bat voltage with the meter running from the exciter wire post on the alt, to the positive post on the bat.

...and i get full continuity between the exciter post and ground.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:24 PM   #7
dl242gt
Can play the blues

If you ground the small red exciter wire at the alternator to the alternator case and get all the appropriate lights. Then if you measure the voltage on the wire at 12V when on and not grounded then the alternator may have a non functioning exciter circuit.

Probably a bad alternator. I just had one with a bad exciter circuit that had shorted internally. This car sat over the winter, too.

Last edited by dl242gt; 05-18-2018 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: change a sentence. add comment
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
If you ground the small red exciter wire at the alternator to the alternator case and get all the appropriate lights. Then if you measure the voltage on the wire at 12V when on and not grounded then the alternator may have a non functioning exciter circuit.

Probably a bad alternator. I just had one with a bad exciter circuit that had shorted internally. This car sat over the winter, too.
Thanks! i'll check it tomorrow morning, gotta get kids in bed and pick up the kitchen before the boss gets home!
Old 05-18-2018, 08:35 PM   #9
odinthewanderer
Board Member

i should mention too, the alternator is somewhat new, still has its stickers and lack of corrosion, was on there one i got it. Not that that matters...
Old 05-19-2018, 07:15 AM   #10
odinthewanderer
Board Member

oh wait i did those things already. i would not mind having a spare i run a few of these cars, so i may just purchase an alt...
any recommendations on which are not junk? I'll assume the one in the car is what ever napa stocks, as the car was used as a parts runner for them before it got "totaled" and i bought it.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:44 AM   #11
TestPoint
Board Member

On easy to replace items like the alternator I usually choose lowest cost/life time warranty things.
TestPoint is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #12
dl242gt
Can play the blues

If you don't get the lifetime warranty one then I'd suggest a bosch or denso. They have lasted the best for me.
Old 05-19-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TestPoint View Post
On easy to replace items like the alternator I usually choose lowest cost/life time warranty things.
I have heard of way too many dying to be much interested in that direction. If i was the only driver of this car, i hear you, but my wife tires of me having to come deal with vehicles that have left her stranded...
Old 05-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #14
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
If you don't get the lifetime warranty one then I'd suggest a bosch or denso. They have lasted the best for me.
Thankyou,
Looks like i am going with a used, known good 100 amp denso, from Phil.

I still wonder if that really is the issue... this car never really charged all that well to be honest, i may throw new cables and wires at it too.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:04 PM   #15
Bready
board deviant

Have you had the actual battery tested?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikS View Post
Eat the dog, shove the gold up my ass, and move to Canada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo Joe View Post
Keep your minds out of my pants.
http://math.350.org/ http://www.rollingstone.com/politics...-math-20120719 MUST READ!

Kalazdar - (3/23/83 to 5/12/03)
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:34 PM   #16
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
Have you had the actual battery tested?
No, so i am not certain, however, it will hold a charge overnight etc, and rapidly drains on running. No warning light on position 2, but good bulb has me looking else where. I can try another bat from a daily driven car when my wife is next off.
...and then there is the full continuity between exciter post and ground, and bat voltage from exciter post to positive terminal, that does not stink of bad battery to me.
Old 05-21-2018, 09:28 PM   #17
Bready
board deviant

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthewanderer View Post
No, so i am not certain, however, it will hold a charge overnight etc, and rapidly drains on running. No warning light on position 2, but good bulb has me looking else where. I can try another bat from a daily driven car when my wife is next off.
...and then there is the full continuity between exciter post and ground, and bat voltage from exciter post to positive terminal, that does not stink of bad battery to me.
I've had batteries go not infrequently, especially if they've been jumped several times or drained and charged. Might just try a second one that's verified good to see if that resolves your issue.

Get yourself a quick-disconnect for your battery moving forward and your problem will be solved.

I'm willing to bet a dollar you need a new battery.
Bready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 02:20 PM   #18
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bready View Post
I've had batteries go not infrequently, especially if they've been jumped several times or drained and charged. Might just try a second one that's verified good to see if that resolves your issue.

Get yourself a quick-disconnect for your battery moving forward and your problem will be solved.

I'm willing to bet a dollar you need a new battery.
I'll find out, i need another 240 battery anyway for a different car, so i will pick another up, but the 100 amp denso from Phil came today.

This makes me think it is not the battery alone: "...and then there is the full continuity between exciter post and ground, and bat voltage from exciter post to positive terminal, that does not stink of bad battery to me."

Edit, i say there is full continuity, but that is not actually totally correct. 17 Ohms.

Last edited by odinthewanderer; 05-24-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Old 05-24-2018, 02:45 PM   #19
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Load test the battery with a battery testing tool. I change old-man-car batteries all the time.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:42 PM   #20
cwdodson88
Board Member

Drain only when running but no drain while off? Points me at the battery and alt. Easier to pull both, take them to the parts shop and test them both. While you’re at it, check the b+ wire from the alt to the chassis for continuity as well, a small current leak in the charging system can give similar symptoms. I doubt it, but never rule something out based on doubt.

The Build Thread
SVEA - PUSHROD TURBO!
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #21
ZVOLV
<Master Tech>

Parasitic draw test. Use a high quality meter. I wouldn't want to see more than 20 milliamps.
ZVOLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 07:02 PM   #22
cwdodson88
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
Parasitic draw test. Use a high quality meter. I wouldn't want to see more than 20 milliamps.
And if you see more, lights out fuse puller test. Turn the lights out and pull/replace fuses... sparky circuit is your problem.
cwdodson88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:52 AM   #23
dl242gt
Can play the blues

On my old 1979 242 dl kjet years ago. I had a 100ma draw. The fuel pump relay section 87a would stay energized when the car was shut off. Would just about kill a good battery overnight. You'd get one shot at starting in the morning. Once I figured it out I would just pull the relay till I got a new one.
Old 05-29-2018, 08:44 PM   #24
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Thankyou guys! i just had time to start getting on it late today, too many things totally blown apart. for what its worth the airbox was PACKED, and i mean PACKED with mouse house. Which probably accounts for at least some of the horrid idle. I just need to clean some grounds, change some contacts, and i'll put it on and see what i get, i'll take the alt and bat for a test once i get my van back together...

Thankyou for the continued commentary and support.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #25
odinthewanderer
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZVOLV View Post
I'll do it once i have a decent charge/battery.