home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > maintenance & nonperformance

Old 05-20-2018, 02:50 PM   #1
smncutler
Board Member

Exclamation Does my Elring rear main seal lip look tight?

Hey, this is the third time I've replaced the rear main seal on my rebuilt B23. The first one was a 7 mm wide brown, the lip didn't seal at all and leaked everywhere. Second one was a 10 mm orange Elring which I concluded I likely screwed up the install. Now I've installed another orange Elring but the lip doesn't seem to be very tight against the crankshaft flange. I removed the carrier this time, cleaned it up and installed the seal in the carrier dry with a perfectly sized paint can and a mallet. Here are some pics. Does it look odd to you?
I have a brown 7 mil Reinz seal as a backup but I'm pretty sure the same one puked oil the first time around.

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...01&oe=5BC47776

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...b1&oe=5B96D33F

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...d2&oe=5B80ACAC

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...ad&oe=5B850E3D

https://scontent-sjc3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...de&oe=5B82E807

Last edited by smncutler; 05-20-2018 at 03:03 PM..
smncutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #2
Mbeas96
Board Member

I used a Volvo seal and it seal perfectly, moved it a hair off the old wear line. Ita been about 10 k miles but no leaks yet (fingers crossed)

I used 10w-30 as lube and used a cam gear to push it into place. The Volvo ones have a plastic retainer to make it easy to install onto the crank end

Plus I didnt realize what the plastic case was for so I removed it. Only to jave to put it back on later cause I couldn't get it to go on...

My build thread: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=340910
Mbeas96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
Mbeas96
Board Member

Oh and btw...the orange one I pulled out was an Elring
Old 05-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #4
smncutler
Board Member

My car is on blocks and my neighbors hate me. I have two seals, which one should I use? I can't wait and get a Volvo seal tomorrow. I don't care if it drips a little.
I tried using a cam gear but mine was about a millimeter larger than the carrier, it wouldn't go in. I pressed the seal in upside down on a hardwood table, flipped it back over, stuck a small paint can on it and gave it a few whacks in a circle.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Mbeas96
Board Member

I would wait till a more experienced tber chimes in...I would think those pictures look okay, but ive done this a total of ONE times.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #6
smncutler
Board Member

Ok, well thanks for your pics, I do appreciate it.
Wait, you lubed the seal when installing it in the carrier? Or just the lip when sliding it onto the crank?
Old 05-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
Mbeas96
Board Member

No problem, mine seems to be set back farther than your pictures but it could be the angle of the picture. Also I hear offsetting it off the old wear mark is key
Old 05-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
smncutler
Board Member

Yeah I tried to do that. I had the machine shop clean up the crank a bit so it should be ok. My worry (this time around anyway) is less that I've installed it wrong and more that the seal doesn't seem like it will seal very well. I'm considering bolting up the flywheel and starter and cranking it over to see if it gushes oil or what.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:39 PM   #9
hiperfauto
Board Member

A couple if things I see.

The seal doesn't appear to be an Elring brand. The i.d. is 1mm too small. This is what a genuine Elring silicone rubber seal looks like.

https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/451...x10mm-0044598/

Other than that, I don't see a problem with your installation.

FYI, the garter spring on the brown viton rubber seals will fall off when you try to install it on the crank if you don't use white plastic installation sleeve. You can't see it when it happens unless the pan is off.
hiperfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 03:42 PM   #10
smncutler
Board Member

Ok so I must have an off-brand orange one. I had different seal kits mixed up, some were elring. Should I pull the carrier once again and install the brown Reinz seal?
I never had an installation sleeve, maybe that waspart of the problem? Though the spring hadn't popped out when I removed it...

Last edited by smncutler; 05-20-2018 at 03:49 PM..
Old 05-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #11
hiperfauto
Board Member

That's kinda up to you. I prefer the silicone seals but the general consensus on TB is the OE viton seals are superior. I think the Elring orange silicone seals got a bad reputation from all the aftermarket crap that looks the same. Even the Elring seal that IPD is selling is different than the one from FCP (which is the one I prefer). Elring must have more than one plant making their seals or they're repackaging someone else's seals.

Old 05-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #12
smncutler
Board Member

If it will leak a minimum of oil for 20,000 miles I will be happy. I got all of mine from a variety of seal kits ordered by my machinist. I guess I'll bolt up the starter and flywheel and crank it just to be sure it won't puke oil.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:58 PM   #13
hiperfauto
Board Member

I think you'll be OK.
Old 05-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #14
smncutler
Board Member

Sweet. Thank you for the consultation!
Old 05-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
sbabbs
Board Member

That plastic thing is just to get it to slip onto the crank, then you take it off and keep tapping the volvo seal in right? How I did it, that plastic thing will not go all the way with the seal..

Seems now thinking about it, I did it a few weeks ago and was not able to get it to go on the crank at all with that plastic thing. I had to take it out of the plastic then I could get it on.

Last edited by sbabbs; 05-20-2018 at 06:09 PM..
sbabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 04:47 PM   #16
hiperfauto
Board Member

The plastic thingy is just for installing the seal onto the crank.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:04 PM   #17
smncutler
Board Member

Found the problem. Past times I'd tried the rear main seal was in fact leaking a little, but the whole time there was a goddamn pinhole through the center of the plug in the back of the goddamn oil gallery. brb throwing tools
Old 05-20-2018, 05:24 PM   #18
sbabbs
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiperfauto View Post

The plastic thingy is just for installing the seal onto the crank.

Yes that is what everybody says but I think it would be better or more clear if you say to get it started slipped onto the crank and then take if off and complete tapping the seal all the way to where it needs to go.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:48 PM   #19
hiperfauto
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smncutler View Post
Found the problem. Past times I'd tried the rear main seal was in fact leaking a little, but the whole time there was a goddamn pinhole through the center of the plug in the back of the goddamn oil gallery. brb throwing tools
Sounds like you got a hold of a plug that was modified to oil the timing gears/chain for a 'murican V8.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbabbs View Post
Yes that is what everybody says but I think it would be better or more clear if you say to get it started slipped onto the crank and then take if off and complete tapping the seal all the way to where it needs to go.
You're right.

Think of it as an installation tool to get the seal started on the crank. Once the seal is on the crank, remove the tool.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #20
Dirty Rick
Board Member

More important than the color of the seal is that, it fits the crank.

The next most important is that the seal gets installed properly square to the crank and with no distortion.

Isn't the brown a Buna N silicone? I think that may be better, either seal will provide many years of leak free service.
Dirty Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:02 PM   #21
dl242gt
Can play the blues

The Volvo tool for putting the seal on has a sleeve or lip that you fit the seal onto. Then when the seal is installed the tool pulls out and the lip of the seal is released to seat on the crank. You don't use the plastic guide even if you have a Volvo seal.

The last one I watched being installed my guy just greased the seal and tapped it right in. Looked at my tool for the seal shrugged and just installed it with a little bitty hammer.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:08 PM   #22
sbabbs
Board Member

Yeah that plastic thing I don't think worked for me either. I still had to slip the seal on the crank without it last time a few weeks ago. I scratch my head at that plastic thing and what it's purpose is cause people say it's for installing, I can't see how it works.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:50 PM   #23
smncutler
Board Member

That's what the machine shop used when they assembled the short block. Fawk
Old 05-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #24
hiperfauto
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smncutler View Post
That's what the machine shop used when they assembled the short block. Fawk
That sucks. You might want to have a word with them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dl242gt View Post
The Volvo tool for putting the seal on has a sleeve or lip that you fit the seal onto. Then when the seal is installed the tool pulls out and the lip of the seal is released to seat on the crank. You don't use the plastic guide even if you have a Volvo seal.

The last one I watched being installed my guy just greased the seal and tapped it right in. Looked at my tool for the seal shrugged and just installed it with a little bitty hammer.
Yeah, the Volvo tool is nice. It also comes with a couple of snap rings that can be added or removed to allow you adjust how deep the seal is installed into the housing.

Old 05-20-2018, 07:35 PM   #25
dl242gt
Can play the blues

That lip on there really helps install the seals damage free. Strangely when I tried to buy the 'official' handle they told me it wasn't available anymore. But that part was. So that was all I got.
dl242gt is offline   Reply With Quote