• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo/wastegate/ic piping hose connection

Geoff240Ti

Ok so i just put the intercooler in my car today and i have a dumb question.

How does the hose that goes from the IC piping and the wastegate connect? On the "adding an intercooler" instructions it talks about removing and blocking a right angle connector on the turbo. It didn't seem right to me.. also this instructions talk about a a vent hose connecting to the t-connector. I am just confused. Can someone clarify or let me see a picture on how this works?

I am really anxious to go for a drive!

rbalt i guess i didn't word my question quite right.. If i didn't know how to run the IC piping i shouldn't be installing an IC in the first place.

My question is about the 1/4 inch tubing running from the IC piper after the intercooler going to the T fitting which connects to the wastegate and.... (this is where i'm lost) i snapped some pictures to help clarify myself.

Here is the picture of the hose (with yellow arrows) going to the IC piping. It's 45 inches long and runs to the T fitting
faf880b4.jpg

The other line that currently connects the wastegate to the top part of the turbo is shown in this picture.
faf880b3.jpg

Now in the "mods" section of this forum there is a guide for installing an IC. It tells me to do this (i am going to copy and paste from it)
Step 5.
-Remove pressure hose between turbo housing and wastegate actuator.
-Remove right angle connector from turbo housing and plug the hole.

(so it's telling me to plug the hole that the arrow is pointing at in my second picture) I havn't done that yet.. as i'm not sure if it's right

Then it goes to step 18 and says:
Step 18.
Assemble the new wastegate actuator hose harness as shown in the picture above. Use 1/4" I.D. vaccum hose only.
int24.jpg

Ok so i understand the 45in long 1/4 inch hose from the ic piper after the IC but i don't understand where the other two hoses go off the T fitting (i know one goes to the wastegate), but where does the other one go??

If someone can guide me i'd apprecaite it, i don't wanna hook up anything wrong for fear of running to much boost or something.

Speedw240 said:
int24.jpg

Ok so i understand the 45in long 1/4 inch hose from the ic piper after the IC but i don't understand where the other two hoses go off the T fitting (i know one goes to the wastegate), but where does the other one go??

quote]

Okay. I just popped the hood on my 82 245. It was intercooled by the dealer in 83 (I've seen the receipt).

One leg of the "T" does in fact go to the wastegate. On my car, the other leg goes up to the passenger fender to a vacuum solenoid, then out to a hole in the metal part of the turbo hose between the turbo and the airbox. This hole is about 1" closer to the airbox than the hose that runs over to the oil breather. I think the solenoid might be the one that energizes at 3700 RPM to give a few extra pounds of boost, so if you just ran the line without the solenoid, you'd have a little extra boost at all RPMs.

Thanks for making me do that, I just noticed my vacuum line going to the waste gate is cracked!

Bob W
Four Volvo turbos

The line from the nipple downstream of your intercooler is replacing the line that you are going to plug coming off your turbo discharge pipe. The hose from this nipple runs to the tee. The shorter line from the tee goes to your wastegate acuator. The other line is the bleed off line and just discharges to atmosphere.
This is easy to understand if you realize that you are lengthening the time it takes for your waste gate actuator to see full boost pressure from the turbo. The bleed off hose accomplishs this. By delaying the boost signal the waste gate does not open as quickly, giving you a fast spool up.
The length reduction of the vent hose makes it even longer before the waste gate sees full boost, and the turbo has to make more boost to actuate the waste gate. This is caused by the vent hose being able to flow more freely because of the reduced length. The shorter you make the vent hose the greater the boost.
Having said all that, I prefer at least a MBC instead of the vent hose. With the hose system you will hear the discharge of the openended hose under boost and a slight vacuum leak at idle. Do make sure your over boost switch is functional, no matter what boost increase system you are using. A/F meter needed for boost higher than stock. Its cheap insurance! Good Luck

The long hose coming off the piping after the I/C can be capped off. On the factory intercooled 240's, this long hose went to a solenoid valve(overpressure switch)...I also capped mine off. The hose coming off your actuator is only about 8" long and goes to the turbo neck..If you were to install a manual boost controller(get one :badboy: ), this is where you would splice into...
Ron

Thanks for all the help guys!
I got it all setup now.. I used the vent hose for now since i had all the stuff to do that.

I will be making a manual boost control.. i just have to find all the fittings i need. Making one like this guy --> (http://pages.cthome.net/gus/mike.html)

With the current setup it boosted to 10 psi until it hit fuel cutoff! I must of lengthened the hoses incorrectly.. wasn't even to the boards, but wow did it ever have alot more power than before!
PUMPED

Back