• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

1990 Volvo 240 Transmission Fluid

k1mcheeman

Hi All,

First post here. After going through the search function I wasn't able to find a thread that detailed the exact transmission fluid that should be used when doing a flush. I read elsewhere that it's DEX II D or E. Is this the case? I ask since I live fairly far away from a decent amount of auto-parts stores and Amazon carries this fluid which is supposed to substitute for DEX II:

https://smile.amazon.com/Valvoline-DEXRON-MERCON-Automatic-Transmission/dp/B002ZSM1RU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1542395515&sr=8-1&keywords=transmission+fluid+dex+II

Thoughts?

The current Dexron/Mercon is what you want. I think they are up to number IV. The higher numbers are designed for more modern transmissions that need additional friction modifiers to keep the clutches from eating themselves. Those newer modifiers do not affect older transmissions.

How do I know this?

I have 80K miles on my 1991 transmission running the newest fluid. The fluid is still red and there are no issues at all with this car that is my daily driver.

I have 25K miles on a rebuilt 1957 Power Flite (two speed air cooled Mopar transmission used for 6 years in the 1950's) on the newest version of transmission fluid. This transmission has the original style band. There are no modern upgrade parts for this. And yes, that band is full of asbestos.

The only caveat: Do not use the +3 or +4. The +3 or +4 are specifically designed to keep 1998 and newer Mopar overdrive transmissions alive. Don't use them in anything else. Stick with Dex/Merc that has roman numerals and you will be fine.

I use the Dex III and newer type as described above without issue. I'm assuming you mean the automatic since you didn't specify but most of the cars are autotragic.

I use Dexron III in the automatic transmission in our '92 940 Turbo, and use it in the power steering system of all 3 of our Turbobricks: 244, 740 940.

I buy the Super Tech brand at Wal-Mart (same as the dino oil).

Never a problem, just flush / change periodically.

I use volvo atf fluid meant for the newest trans in everything. Aw71? Full of new volvo fluid. Even my WC t5 ran on it. It's a shame it's like $100/ gallon

Back