home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #76
fortbrick
Board Member

Original headliner? If so, that's impressive. Where'd you get the cover? I'm interested in one for my '88.

Looking good as always.
fortbrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #77
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbrick View Post
Original headliner? If so, that's impressive. Where'd you get the cover? I'm interested in one for my '88.

Looking good as always.
Thanks! Yeah, original headliner. I don't know if the later 7/9 series cars had the sagging headliner problem like the early ones. I had to replace the headliner in my old '85. This is a non-smoker car, so that obviously helps.

As far as the cover, I got it from Covercraft. I found some corner of their site(s) that listed it as a closeout. It's a $240 cover that I snagged for $80. I can't for the life of me figure out how I got to the page showing it as a closeout. It's actually a Wolf custom cover marketed as a the DUSTOP line. The part number on my shipping invoice is 182-63010, I think it's the same cover for 740/940/960 wagons. Honestly, it's a nice cover, but IMO it isn't $240 nice. Hope that helps.
1994 945ti | 15g @ 14psi, Turbosmart EBC, AEM Failsafe WB, 3"/2.5" exhaust, do88 intercooler, iPd cam, STS cam gear, Ostrich LH tune, sbabbs EZK chip, green giants, K&N, Yoshifab CCV/Can/Cap, iPd SS brake lines, TME, Eibach, BNE, Koni suspension, iPd sways, iPd panhard, Cherry Turbos upper/lower braces, forged BBS RG-Rs, Michelin Pilot SS, ecodes, V90 bits.
1985 744ti | 13.8 @ 100.5 mph - Sold after 20 years.
SquareD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #78
fortbrick
Board Member

Yeah, I had to replace the headliner in my '89 and will have to do the same with the '88. My wagon spends most of its time in the garage so having a cover would be nice. Thanks for info. I'll have a look and see if they still have them.
Old 02-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #79
Råda
Volvoretard/Partshoarder

Regarding headliners, 940s don't have the sagging problem like 740's do. iirc 92 740s have the better headliner too.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:40 PM   #80
SquareD
An Anomaly

My project for this weekend. I know it's not elite-level TB ish, but I'm still excited.

Last edited by SquareD; 07-21-2017 at 01:49 PM..
Old 03-25-2014, 11:45 PM   #81
Børk,børk,børk!
Board Member

Lookin' good, D!

You really going to install that resonator?
Børk,børk,børk! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:08 AM   #82
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Børk,børk,børk! View Post
Lookin' good, D!

You really going to install that resonator?
Yes. Can't have any drone while I'm bouncing to my Xtian hipidy hop.

Last edited by SquareD; 07-21-2017 at 01:49 PM..
Old 03-26-2014, 02:08 AM   #83
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

What is this Xtian hipidy hop and how can I get some?

mtd240: I suspect "the wives" have a super-secret forum to discuss whether or not they will let us buy Volvo parts.
DavidSamuels: Not a website, a panel discussion/reality show. Real Housewives of Gothenburg.

-Feedback-
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 08:57 AM   #84
SquareD
An Anomaly

If I was going to build my own I would have done away with the resonator. I figure no cat is a decent trade off for having the resonator though. I'd love to weld my own up, I just don't know when I'll get the time. They accepted my "best offer", so this was $315 shipped. I have to say, it looks like a nice exhaust for the price, darn you China. I would like to build a 3" dp this summer to finish things off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Kardboard+ View Post
What is this Xtian hipidy hop and how can I get some?
I can hook a brother up. B-SHOC, good stuff.
Old 03-26-2014, 11:28 AM   #85
+Kardboard+
Chinese guy/Swedish rides

Haha will check that out to see if I need a resonator for my 3" exhaust.
+Kardboard+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #86
Homer
OEMplus++

Noice. Helped a friend install a ebay special stainless exhaust on his integra. Cheaper than a stock replacement. Only one hanger needed to be tweaked a little. Otherwise nice for the price.
Need something TIG welded? Give me a shout.
Homer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 12:19 PM   #87
SquareD
An Anomaly

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. I also like the dual tips on this as apposed to the big honkin' thing they have on the end of the TME catback that I had on my 7. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of difference this makes. I was looking at things last night and noticed that the stock exhaust is schmushed down to about 1.75" at the over the axle pipe. Dat's no bueno.
Old 03-26-2014, 07:11 PM   #88
Manbeard
#helpbrock2k16

them tips are nice man! i usually just like slash cut tips, but dangit man, your car is so clean, the chrome tipz work!
Old 03-27-2014, 09:24 AM   #89
SquareD
An Anomaly

Thanks bro. The weekend can't come fast enough.
Old 03-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #90
Benjam83
Moar Volvos than Queen B

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post
Thanks. I didn't even realize they fit until I noticed that they looked the same as late 940 headrests. They make me want the S90 SE seats that Benjam83 is selling. Between tax returns and selling my triumph, I may be able to make that happen. If they're still available.
Clean wagon is clean. You really know how to find them and keep them nice.

BTW, the seats......they're still here...........and I might be in the StL this weekend....

12 WRX Hatchback
10 Subaru Outback
93 245 m47
Benjam83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:18 PM   #91
grnmachine02
Indicating?

Unless they have changed it, the rear hangers don't line up right (at least on mine they didn't) No big deal though, just use the stock bracket/hanger thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep View Post

Rage boner achieved.
grnmachine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #92
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjam83 View Post
Clean wagon is clean. You really know how to find them and keep them nice.

BTW, the seats......they're still here...........and I might be in the StL this weekend....
Thanks Ben! Sadly, the project I was tasked to is on indefinate shutdown so my job is kinda tenuous right now. I was hoping to pick those up this spring, but even if I sell the bike, I doubt I'll be able to swing them. The exhaust was due to be replaced, so I convinced the wife this purchase was justified. Don't think I can pull that off with the seats. If things change, I'll be in contact fo' sho.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmachine02 View Post
Unless they have changed it, the rear hangers don't line up right (at least on mine they didn't) No big deal though, just use the stock bracket/hanger thingy.
Yeah I heard that. I also heard that some people had to trim a section to get it to fit right. I'm curious how much work I'll have to do. Having a reason to break out the mig wouldn't hurt my feelings though, I'll just have to grab some wire.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:55 AM   #93
grnmachine02
Indicating?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareD View Post

Yeah I heard that. I also heard that some people had to trim a section to get it to fit right. I'm curious how much work I'll have to do. Having a reason to break out the mig wouldn't hurt my feelings though, I'll just have to grab some wire.

Mine was harder to install because I was trying to reinvent the wheel. I was trying to adapt the 2 muffler section to the rest of my 3" to shut it up a little bit. It worked, many hours/days/weeks of rage later. Then it got destroyed when a vband broke and dropped off 1/2 of my exhaust at 80 mph on the way to SE last year.
grnmachine02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #94
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by grnmachine02 View Post
Mine was harder to install because I was trying to reinvent the wheel. I was trying to adapt the 2 muffler section to the rest of my 3" to shut it up a little bit. It worked, many hours/days/weeks of rage later. Then it got destroyed when a vband broke and dropped off 1/2 of my exhaust at 80 mph on the way to SE last year.
Attention: This is how not to do it.

So I have the old one off. Nothing too eventful, but manhandling everything by yourself is always fun. Didn't botch cutting the rearmost set of hangers off on the rear muffler, yay. Using the stock hanger for the rear muffler.

I test fit the resonator and test pipe: fitment is not on point. I'll have to evaluate things to see if I need to use a different hanger for the resonator, if the test pipe need to be cut down or if I need to cut the end of the downpipe. I know when I fit it, the test pipe was close to hitting the floor because the bends weren't falling in the right spot.

Last edited by SquareD; 03-28-2014 at 02:46 PM..
Old 03-29-2014, 08:53 PM   #95
SquareD
An Anomaly

Cut the end of the test pipe and had to get hardware for the downpipe flange. The usual fitting tweaks and then I took it for a test drive; didn't hear anything hitting the floor. I'm going to try to get the muffler up a smidge higher and replace the cheapo clamps with band claps, other than that it seems to fit pretty good. I don't know if I just wasn't laying into it much before, but under full throttle I have some significant boost creep now. Sonofa.

Last edited by SquareD; 07-21-2017 at 01:51 PM..
Old 03-30-2014, 01:11 AM   #96
Børk,børk,børk!
Board Member

Describe significant. Enough to cut fuel (do 940s even have a fuel cutoff for excessive boost)?

I doubt if it previously existed and you didn't catch it when not laying into it. It's most likely due to that shiny new exhaust and lack of a cat. Do these have external wastegates?

Exhaust looks sweet, btw.

Last edited by Børk,børk,børk!; 03-30-2014 at 01:12 AM.. Reason: Props for shiny tips
Børk,børk,børk! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 03:04 AM   #97
DNAsEqUeNcE
†John3:16

Looks like it's time for a bigger turbine wheel?
Old 03-30-2014, 10:10 AM   #98
fortbrick
Board Member

Exhaust looks nice!
Old 03-30-2014, 06:31 PM   #99
SquareD
An Anomaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Børk,børk,børk! View Post
Describe significant. Enough to cut fuel (do 940s even have a fuel cutoff for excessive boost)?

I doubt if it previously existed and you didn't catch it when not laying into it. It's most likely due to that shiny new exhaust and lack of a cat. Do these have external wastegates?

Exhaust looks sweet, btw.
Thanks brother. Ok, first off, I need a real boost gauge. Yeah, I know. I'm thinking I was running about 10-12 before. Now it's set at probably closer to 8 and it's running up to the point where I get marbles in a can. No bueno. This has an integral wastegate and no boost cut. I knew I'd have to lower the boost afterwards, but now it seems like the mbc and wastegate can't keep it locked down. I want to get one of these:

http://www.gizzmoelectronics.com/Product_MSIBC.html

That'll give me boost gauge and some solid boost control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNAsEqUeNcE View Post
Looks like it's time for a bigger turbine wheel?
Like I said on FB, I'd like to get a 16t eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fortbrick View Post
Exhaust looks nice!
Thanks. It needed a new exhaust, so this was a convenient upgrade. Definitely helps it *look* more modded than before.

Last edited by SquareD; 03-30-2014 at 06:47 PM..
Old 06-01-2014, 06:15 PM   #100
SquareD
An Anomaly

Entered the wagon in the St. Louis European Auto Show that was held today. I did a full exterior treatment on it in preparation. Wash, claybar, polish, wax and detail. It ended up making it pretty shiny.

Last edited by SquareD; 07-21-2017 at 02:03 PM..