home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 02-15-2018, 05:52 PM   #76
aristg
Board Member

Thanks man !! Hopefully i will book a dyno session soon to see if this power is limited by the gas available here, or the engine is at its limit for the current setup. Unfortunately we don't have access to E85, which would surely be much better, but for science reasons i will use some octane booster at dragster analogies to see if the power limit will be raised. Of course this will be just a test ..
aristg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:08 AM   #77
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristg View Post
Thanks man !! Hopefully i will book a dyno session soon to see if this power is limited by the gas available here, or the engine is at its limit for the current setup. Unfortunately we don't have access to E85, which would surely be much better, but for science reasons i will use some octane booster at dragster analogies to see if the power limit will be raised. Of course this will be just a test ..
you are in the need of a permanent Ouzo injection! ;) GYROS!!
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 04:39 AM   #78
aristg
Board Member

Lol ... seems that you are well informed about our local tricks :P
Old 02-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #79
MadDog_945
Våga Vägra 8V

Quote:
Lol ... seems that you are well informed about our local tricks :P
of course! im german.. for fourty years we thought the ouzo after dinner in a greek restaurant is on the bill, but we then got the receipt ;)
MadDog_945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 09:34 PM   #80
brickcupra
Board Member

Default Greek 240 brick

Yassou!!!!
Love your brick and funny thing that I was looking for an evo intercooler for my project and I see it works!!!!
My old boss was from Sparty, and I know some greek although EGO EIMAE APO Puerto Rico
kai milase spanika.
Keep up the great work. To aftokinito sou einae polly oreo.
YASSAS!!!
DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:51 AM   #81
aristg
Board Member

Well thanks DZ You have learned some proper Greek as it seems !! Yes the IC works fine up to a point

Thanks for your good words !!
Old 04-02-2018, 03:54 AM   #82
aristg
Board Member

The story continues from post #41

The old one

The new one

UPDATE 31/3/2018

Since i replaced my rear speakers with much better sounding ones, i decided to do the same for the front. So i bought some 35W RMS Sony 13 cm speakers which i figured would marginally fit to the door holes without much mess, while being a bit louder compared to my old 10 cm. As it proved they are very shallow, and they just cleared the window when it was open.

The next problem was that the door panels had their plastic moisture protection removed at some point in the past, and they were either rotten (the right one) or bumpy like potato chips after they were wet and dried lots of times. To correct this i dampened them once again and pressed them to get as straight as possible. Done that twice, and it actually had good results. The next step was to apply some polyester resin with fiberglass fabric to keep them straight and protect them from any new moisture or disintegrating, and i did apply some at the speakers holes so to reinforce them. Also took some plastic sheet and taped it on the door to help moisture drain inside the door and not on the panels.

BUT Gary is always aware of what i am doing, and influenced me to install a small amp as well . I am not fan of huge sound, but i want to listen clearly to what is playing. So i also ordered an ALPINE KTP445U 45W rms amplifier. I did manage to fit it at the passenger foot well, while moving around some of my other relay panels, which were placed there. Unfortunately my Kenwood BT44U source had no line level ports, so i had to go to the speaker level outputs. However this amp harness comes with RCA connectors which are supposed to get cut, and the wires spliced on the source's speaker outputs. I did not want to do that, so i turned the Kenwood's single cable outputs to RCAs ! Of course on the amp's setting speaker level input was chosen. Also as the manual says, the gain in this setting can not go above 3 o clock on the dials, since the signals are preamplified. Verified this with the multimeter method !

UPDATE 1/8/2018
  • Added a FPD: I never knew that this part existed, until i stumbled upon a really annoying minor problem. When i started the car for some minutes i could hear a repetitive knocking sound, which was coming from the braided fuel lines. This was caused by the injectors opening and closing hard while idling, where most of the fuel stays in the circuit and is not injected in the engine. So i found this Radium Technology Fuel Pulse Damper which is actually boost referenced, so it can accept the raised fuel pressure when the turbo is at its full boost. What it actually is, is a spring loaded diaphragm, which dampens the pulses caused by the injectors. Ideally it should be installed on the fuel rail but i did not have enough space to do so. So i ordered some parts to attach it directly on the fuel filter. Now the pulse when touching the lines can be felt, but at least it is not heard any more. More than that it is supposed to normalize the fuel pressure oddities when the engine is running. I guess it does what it is advertised

• Removed the foil cover from spark cables: At some point, while in an almost dark place having a look at the running engine, i noticed that the MSD spark cables were sparking on the cylinder head. I had never seen that before, not even on the dyno, so i felt that something was wrong with the MSDs. After having a bit of thought, i decided to remove the heat-emp protection foil i had them wrapped, and so the problem was solved. It seems that the sparks were caused by induction since the protective sleeves were pure aluminum foil on their outer surface.

• Replaced the ac hose: After filling the system with r134 refrigerant the hose (that goes over the cylinder head) blew up. It seems that it was old and brittle, plus it was routed very close to the turbo. So i made a new one, which was cut a bit shorter so it passed behind the oil cap instead of the old way, which gave it a good distance from the turbo/downpipe. Also the support bracket was moved into a new position, and now the (ugly) hose goes over the engine without touching anywhere ! If only the AC was working well.. It goes down to 8*C. I tried to find some r12a hydrocarbon refrigerant that is said is much better than r134 on a r12 system, but nobody ships it to Greece .. or if they do the postage cost is insane ! Anyone from Sweden to help ?? I found the refrigerants here: https://www.frostycool.se/

• Radiator Temp Switch: After lots and lots of hours of search, i managed to find a different temperature - same threaded dual temp switch for controlling the e-fan. The old one was kicking in the slow speed at 82*C and turned off at 77*C. The high speed was turned on at 92*C and off at 87*C. However even at a hot day in the traffic where the temp gauge was closing to the red zone, the high speed never turned on, it was working always on low. I think that this happened because i have placed the temp switch at the 1/3 of the height of the radiator, while it should have been higher. The 264 radiator never had place to bolt such a switch, while it is much bigger than the original. So at the current position of the switch temps never go up to 92*C. For this reason i ordered a FACET 7.5630 switch, which has the same low kick in temp, but the high is much lower, turns on at 87*C and turns off at 82*C. Hope this will solve the problem. The next move if this does not work a VW switch that is 70-75, 80-75 *C, but that feels really low. Turbo cars never like hot days, VOLVOs don't, neither do i

Here is my amazing testing facility for the temp switches

• Turbo circulator temp switch: Also replaced the temp switch of my turbo circulator with timer (after turning off the engine) with a lower temp one. This one is a single switch with two connectors, not double as the radiator one. However its is different threaded (M14x1,5) than the previous. Had two options below 82*C (t-stat): an ALFA light switch 60537203 (7.4079 Facet) which is turned on at 45*C, or a VOLVO fan switch 3211204-7 (7.5142 Facet) which is 72-67*C. The first seems really low temp, so i went for the second, plus since the VOLVO one is a fan switch should have more reinforced contacts in it.. To remind you, the circuit turns on the circulator after i switch off the engine, for a given time (0-10 mins adjustable) and only when the engine is warm (in this case when it is 72*C). The 45* could also work fine, but for the reason i wrote above i went for the VOLVO one.

Last edited by aristg; 09-19-2018 at 03:43 AM.. Reason: Updates
Old 04-03-2018, 01:25 AM   #83
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Looks good, as usual man!

I think you'll like that little amp. I've been VERY impressed with mine along with the Focal's.
Mick Starkey "TrickMick" 1/10/14
Mark Baldwin "blue850t5" 7/19/18
Nick Fengler "fengler" 8/6/18
Thomas Fritz "stealthfti" 10/11/18

74 144 B20
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=224983

90 745Ti
http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=334698

If you need Superpro bushings PM me for price and availability!
gsellstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 04:17 AM   #84
aristg
Board Member

Yes, the first tests sound really good and crisp ! I was a bit unlucky with the source's outputs which were not line out, and with the speakers i found to buy on that day (Sony) that i was in a hurry, but the result is miles better than the old setup .. (MB Quart and Pioneer)

BTW for anyone that is trying to fit such speakers, the rear are SONY XS-FB6920E and the front SONY XS-FB1330. For the front, the plastic cover should be trimmed 4mm on upper and lower parts of the X shape .. right and left need to be unmodified
Old 04-12-2018, 06:12 PM   #85
LC4CARL
Aero challenged

Love this car.
#carlfeague on IG.
LC4CARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #86
brickcupra
Board Member

Default Yassou !!! again

Hey thanks for your comment in regards of my greek , still learning a lot. Your brick is reaally coming out nice. I wanted to go today to mine but it is cold and soggy
Hopefully next week will be hotter.
you gave me a great idea to replace the speakers and to reinforce the panels.
Where did u learned AGLLIKA?
Your grammar is perfect.
Seeya DZ
brickcupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 12:34 PM   #87
aristg
Board Member

@brickcupra Thanks a lot pal I assume you have taken your brick for a spin !! Well, i studied for a bit in the UK, so this is how i know some English .. Unfortunately i am better at writing than speaking, where i sound like a proper Greek .. lol .. At least American English is much more understandable than some Brits speaking, especially when they come from specific places !!

Reinforcing the panels is going to make them last for another 50+ years. Just a note: if you use polyester, don't be scared when you see the front side of the panel that the "leather" (or whatever this material is called), becomes wrinkled and greasy. Polyester has some seriously unhealthy ingredients in it, which for a few days soak everything and deform the front material of the panel. If you however leave it for a few days alone, it will dry up and become normal again.. Plus wear some protection (long sleeves, glasses, gloves) when trimming/opening up holes on dried polyester, or you will have a 2-day itch as a gift
Old 06-02-2018, 02:52 AM   #88
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

The Queen's English, proper, is easy to understand because it's pronounced correctly. Sadly, only about 10% of people in England know how to speak English close to properly. I was shocked when I went to live there, the education standards are pretty low compared to what I'm used to. I would say most Americans (but not all, try Nashville, for eg) have mild enough accents to be easily understood, but as you say, there's plenty of parts of England where I'd stand no chance of understanding a single word of the gibberish they speak! So don't feel too bad, it's not your fault
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 05:06 AM   #89
Sander
Good news everyone!

Great work! Very clean build
Sander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:50 AM   #90
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

Got the last of your parts for this round in, should be able to get them boxed up in the next few days since I'm finally back in town.
Old 06-03-2018, 06:16 AM   #91
MSGGrunt
Board Member

I was having the same thoughts to preserve my door panels, but ended up finding perfect used ones for very cheap. Still, this isn't a bad idea on good panels to prevent them from future deterioration. Where mine are straight I wonder if just a coating of resin to keep moisture out would do the trick?

I was talking with the body shop who is repainting my BMW E30 and they informed me that so often people remove the plastic door membranes when doing aftermarket speakers or what have you and never replace/reseal it and this allows, like you said, moisture to migrate into the door panel "paper fiber-like material" and cause all kinds of issues. I had never given that a thought, but I have witnessed just how much damage this can do. And the factory plastic can still be had from Volvo for around $15.00 US. I just ordered them for my 240.
1991 Volvo 240 Auto
1993 Volvo 245 5-speed.
2007 Porsche Cayman S
2015 Volvo XC60 Platinum
MSGGrunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 06:50 AM   #92
aristg
Board Member

@MSGGrunt: Really ? They still exist ? Never thought of ordering them .. lol .. I guess i went the "el cheapo" way !! The resin alone will for sure make the panels waterproof and harder. But if you for some reason try to bend it or so, i assume it will crack. But still it will be much better than original. In any way though if you have the factory plastics installed i think there will be no problem for a long time even if you just install it without any other fuzz ! When you fit them, post some pics to see how they are .. for any other who is interested

@Gary: Yay !! It is going to be a heavy box this time .. but i hope a nice (and last big) upgrade that i will do. I keep saying that for years now ..

@Sander: Thanks a lot man !!

@FreeEMSFred: Exactly as you say !! I am going to have some practice with Gary, who will hopefully come this way soon... to see Greece in person, test the car and teach me some proper English. This guy has a lot of very satisfying phrases shot at me, which i have never heard of, but at 90% of the time i understand their meaning On the other hand the UK people if you say "patato" instead of "potato", in most of the cases they have no clue what you mean ..
Old 06-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #93
gsellstr
Vintage anti-ricer

At this point, so far we're still on track to head over that way next year. Definitely gotta make sure your car is done by then, I want a ride!
Old 06-05-2018, 06:09 AM   #94
aristg
Board Member

Well, i assume it will be, and it mostly depends on your influence
Old 06-10-2018, 01:43 AM   #95
FreeEMSFred
Board Member

Just don't learn the American way of saying "niche" it's just sickeningly horrible to hear I struck the tomato tomato issue in the states... I learned to speak "American" (because it is different enough) in just a few weeks so my In'n'out burger orders would go more smoothly
FreeEMSFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 01:58 AM   #96
aristg
Board Member

Burger orders are a perfect reason for solving this kind of problems. Until you reach the point that you say to the guy who takes the order the phrase: "Hello, the usual" .. Then everything is over ..
Old 06-11-2018, 01:45 PM   #97
Tompoes

beautiful car sir, well done!
Tompoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #98
aristg
Board Member

Thanks a lot Mr Tompoes
Old 08-04-2018, 05:52 AM   #99
aristg
Board Member

A few minor updates, 1/8/2018 @ post #82
Old 08-04-2018, 07:35 AM   #100
740atl
educator monkey

Quote:
The new one

Is this an electric water pump or are you using it as a vacuum pump for crankcase ventilation?
740atl is offline   Reply With Quote