home register FAQ memberlist calendar

Go Back   Turbobricks Forums > Mechanical > projects & restorations

Old 03-09-2016, 11:23 PM   #126
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

The hand brakes on 240's are notorious for being weak. Hydro's on my to do list.
1990 244GL M47 summer DD project.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charles850t View Post
I fart and Reese Witherspoon falls out of my ass.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisKhan View Post
I'm just a cum guzzler and I can't help myself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Mom
Get a bike
Honestly I've not been to www.brickspeed.net in years so I have no idea why it's still in my sig
Poopie scissors
amerbritcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:37 PM   #127
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

My friend gave me a head unit so I finished installing the sound system.

All i had to cut the mounting hole out with was a hobo freight 4.5" angle grinder....so obviously it wasn't the cleanest cut haha. Came out nice enough for what it is though...

Since the wiring from the head unit to the amp plugs in up front, i wanted to make it look as clean as possible. I drilled through the amps mounting plate i made and then through the lower glove box support. Then i ran the wires through there and put a little piece of corrugated tubing to both protect em from rubbing through, and to hide the multicolor wires. Worked out nice since the tubing was the perfect diameter. From the bottom, you can still kinda see all the colors haha.

Final product came out nice. And i have space for some other things...maybe a cup holder or compartment or something useful haha

I plan on going to another drift event this weekend so i guess ill start prepping for that haha

Build Thread
Old 03-14-2016, 03:12 PM   #128
TempleUWS6
Board Member

Wow, coming along nicely (as a stripped down drifter), keep up the good work!
'02 Trans Am WS6-Konis+Stranos, full exhaust, 353rwhp/373rwtq, Fikse FM5
'76 BMW R75/6
TempleUWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 01:42 AM   #129
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleUWS6 View Post
Wow, coming along nicely (as a stripped down drifter), keep up the good work!
Haha, thanks man! Long term goal is caged with full interior...we'll see how that goes haha
RasAdam_JAHMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 02:41 PM   #130
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

The drift event this past weekend was pretty solid. I only had one pair of 5x114.3 spares with bald tires so i wasn't looking forward to taking off the adapters at the track to run a 75 series sidewall tire. Luckily it rained, so i got to use the one set all day haha. Unfortunately this event was full of really nicer cars so the cameras weren't exactly pointing at the old Volvo this time haha. I did get a couple in-car videos, they arent the best laps i did but at least they're not the worst ones either.

I plan on taking a break on events for now until i get my suspension set up a little better. I feel like i've got enough seat time how it is and understand how the car handles and where it can be improved. I do have an expensive parts list adding up haha. Hopefully everything will be set up and ready to go for the next event in Gainesville on May 14th.
Old 04-04-2016, 12:26 AM   #131
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Gone for a while without an update and finally did something. Ive had some junkyard coiler hardware for a while and finally decided to macgyver something up. What i ended up with is a pair of what i believe are 350 pound 2.5" springs on what can be adjustable rear spring seats.

I took 4 rear upper spring seats, two from a 91 and two from a 70 something. As you can see, they actually happened to be slightly different with the 70's one a little lower profile. I separated the bottom part that mounts to the car from the big nipple that sits in the spring. Then i used a hole saw on a sketchy drill press set up to cut what should've been a 2.5" hole in two of them.

Since the hole was a little too big, i put one locking ring inside the cup and the other on the outside, sandwiching it together. I welded the inside ring in place so it can't fall or spin while adjusting. Then i welded those cups to the other that can mount to the car. I bolted them straight to the trailing arms.

Then i bolted the springs to the car with the old lower spring retainers and some random perfect bolts.

The car now sits lower in the rear and feels a lot stiffer and better but i did have to cut and pull some more. The drift event this past weekend ended up getting cancelled so i couldn't try it out yet. It does look pretty good though...

Also, i went to the junkyard since they had an all you can carry sale and definitely got a deal. I got everything pictured, including the 13c and a 16t with no shaft play, all for $40.....

Old 04-04-2016, 01:36 AM   #132
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

What's the cam? I like your home made spring seats for the back.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:38 AM   #133
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amerbritcan View Post
What's the cam? I like your home made spring seats for the back.
Its just a stock T cam from a turbo 940 but from what I've read and heard, it should be better than the NA (M?) cam i currently have.

Which reminds me...do i need to do anything to the head mounted distributor cam to get it on my block mounted distributor engine? Every thread I've seen so far brings up a similar question with no answer.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #134
okoye
Board Member

you need a v cam lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
no one saw me with my little umbrella and sandpaper though.
okoye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:55 AM   #135
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by okoye View Post
you need a v cam lol
Ahhh man, haha. So this one won't work, or is it just not worth it?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:02 PM   #136
okoye
Board Member

anything would be better than what you have currently! try the t though you might pick up some grunt. what turbo are you currently using?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:38 PM   #137
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

M cam is the worst for sure, but t cam isn't exactly anything exciting. I know head mounted dizzy need a cam specifically for head mounted dizzy (slotted?). No idea if there's cross-compatibility the other way.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:49 PM   #138
ChillChris

Just read through the entire thread and this hit me all in the feels. Your 244 is everything I want out of mine and more . Any who you have any full car shots on the new suspension? I love the fitment in the back (stance kid checking in). Can't wait to see the hydro as well, GL!
ChillChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #139
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Im currently running a junkyard 13c so i grabbed the 16t since i could reuse my oil lines.

Yeah, i noticed that it seemed like it would just sit right in there and the rear cam seal just covers the hole as normal. Ill try and find more info though.
Old 04-04-2016, 07:59 PM   #140
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChillChris View Post
Just read through the entire thread and this hit me all in the feels. Your 244 is everything I want out of mine and more . Any who you have any full car shots on the new suspension? I love the fitment in the back (stance kid checking in). Can't wait to see the hydro as well, GL!
Hahaha, thanks man! I dont have any good shots, just these...dont mind the missing body parts haha

I grabbed a Honda Civic clutch master which ive heard people use for custom hydros. Just need to run some lines and make a handle for it!
Old 04-04-2016, 10:29 PM   #141
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

I bet it handles really well like that. As much as I hate the look, lots of people say these cars handle better with ass-sag.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #142
ChillChris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RasAdam_JAHMEN View Post
Hahaha, thanks man! I dont have any good shots, just these...dont mind the missing body parts haha

I grabbed a Honda Civic clutch master which ive heard people use for custom hydros. Just need to run some lines and make a handle for it!
That looks great. I can't believe you can fit a 10 inch wide wheel in the rear. If only there was some way to get some rear camber in these volvo's. How molested is your fender liner in the front.
ChillChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:40 PM   #143
amerbritcan
Hnnnnnng

Quote:
That looks great. I can't believe you can fit a 10 inch wide wheel in the rear.
See picture #10 in post #131 ITT.

Quote:
How molested is your fender liner in the front.

What fender liner? Certainly no 240 I've ever had has had them.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 PM   #144
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

It does feel a lot better than before. Gotta fix my steering play issue, get the front stiffer, and get roll correctors.

The 10.5" wheel did take a lotta caressing...and thats with a baby 235/45 tire. When i get bigger tires, ill see how much more i can pull.

My front fender liners are currently roommates with my bent control arm...in the garbage bin out back hahaha. (i keep all my bad parts for a "just in case" situation)
Old 04-05-2016, 09:43 AM   #145
TempleUWS6
Board Member

Wow, cant believe the all you can carry deal, I wish the JYs around me would do something like that. The most I can hope for is half off days with the LKQ owned Crazy Rays yards around Baltimore. What yard do you go to?

Also, whats the floppy camera mount set up you have?

Love the rear spring set up and rear fitment too. Keep it up!
TempleUWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 09:54 PM   #146
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleUWS6 View Post
Wow, cant believe the all you can carry deal, I wish the JYs around me would do something like that. The most I can hope for is half off days with the LKQ owned Crazy Rays yards around Baltimore. What yard do you go to?

Also, whats the floppy camera mount set up you have?

Love the rear spring set up and rear fitment too. Keep it up!
Yeah man! Technically the deal is $69.99 but with tax its $78.68, i just went half with a friend who needed some stuff. Still a great deal even for $80 though. This was at an Ace Pick a Part but they kinda copy our GO Pull It which has a similar deal for only $59.99 but didnt have a good Volvo selection at the time.

My floppy camera setup is a last minute track day go pro mount. Its the plastic plate that the go pro comes mounted on in the packaging when you buy it new. It has some holes already in it (not in ideal locations) and i just ziptied through one around my half removed headliner. Just pop out the dome light and clip the camera in haha

Which reminds me, i finally made a date for the windshield repair place to take out my windshield tomorrow. Im going to pull out the headliner and redo that finally and put it back in and call them back up to put in a fresh, uncracked, new york emissions test sticker-free windshield.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 PM   #147
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Sooo i found out i dont have as much ground clearance as i thought

Ended up being a neat little picture spot though haha

Today i went to try out a homemade boost controller but decided to fix my temp gauge first. I tried one i found at the junkyard but it leaked. Then i went back to my original set up and figured id take pictures since i dont think i ever did.

I just drilled out the old temp sensor and tapped it to accept the 1/8 NPT sensor.

The problem ended up being firewall connector where the engine harness plugs in to send signal to the gauge cluster...easiest fix ever...i definitely over-complicated it haha. Now i just need hoses for the controller and im good.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:24 AM   #148
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

Since my windshield was cracked, i called my insurance to set up a date to replace it (cause its free haha). I managed to work out a way to have the glass place pull the windshield and wait a couple days to put it in. This gave me the opportunity to finally do my headliner.

The sunroof piece was WAY easier than the 740

Remember this print?

It worked out!

Unfortunately, i gotta wait until Monday to get the new windshield on, but I'm happy with the results
Old 04-10-2016, 08:12 PM   #149
RasAdam_JAHMEN
Board Member

So the glass place cant put the new windshield in until Monday...but.....

I ended up picking this up.....

Heard the builder was on here but couldn't find a build thread. Anyone recognize it?

Old 04-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #150
okoye
Board Member

Yo let me get the side skirts and front bumper!