• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Sander's 6.0 V12 745 project

Sander

Good news everyone!
I got far enough along now with it to make a new thread. Old thread (16V Turbo) here: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=165886&page=23

Short recap, I got the car in 2008 with the purpose of putting a V12 engine in it, but due to lack of working space or even a garage I decided to turbocharge it. It's a 745 GLT so it had a 16V engine already. After years the itch to put a V12 in there was still there and now I have a garage and enough space to do it. Then this showed up:

It's a Mercedes M120 engine. 6.0 Liter 48 valve V12 out of a 1992 S600. It's good for 408hp and about 600Nm of torque. I wanted to put a manual transmission behind it initially, but that would complicate things so much that I decided to go for a 722.6 automatic trans out of a late CL600 with the same engine. It is an electronically controlled 5 speed automatic that fits behind the engine. A guy in Denmark makes a stand alone controller for it, complete with paddle shifters etc. which I'll be using now (https://ofgear.dk/).

The engine is absolutely gigantic, 84cm long, 65 wide and about 60cm high. First problem is the oil sump is in the way. It's exactly where the Volvo crossmember with the steering rack is. I cut off the original sump and the oil pickup tube (the pump is all the way at the front) and am converting it to a front sump. Just need to find a drop down sway bar out of a V6 now somewhere.

Even the flat 16V brake booster is in the way, so I got a hydroboost unit out of a Ford Mustang Cobra. The master cylinder on there is also nicely sized for the Porsche Cayenne brakes I'm planning to use. Today me and some friends got around to dropping it in and positioning it. Next up is making the engine mounts and trans mount.

It's about as far back as I can put it. It'll need a pusher setup for the radiator as there is not enough space for the fan anymore. I'll also have to move the throttle bodies more forward as they are right between the strut towers. Originally, it has electronic TB's, but I'm converting it to manual ones as I plan to run MS3Pro on it (also no more distributors). I won't be finished anytime soon as there is still a lot to do, but to be continued.

Last edited:
looks good! quick job getting that engine in there. i wish you the best of luck for this build!

looks good! quick job getting that engine in there. i wish you the best of luck for this build!

Thanks!

Nice! Do you happen to have any of the 16v stuff for spares ?

I don't have much left besides the engine itself, most things I've sold already. Are you looking for something specific?

Ha! I just bought a different V12 with Volvo intentions. You're a bit ahead of me, though. Good luck! :-)

Cool, what V12 did you get and what is it going in? We need more V12 powered cars in the world

There are so many easier ways to get 400 hp.

But none of them sound like a V12, so good luck with it!

Very true, the goal of this project is definitely not to get the most bang for the buck. Nothing sounds like a howling V12

That mr2 looks clean!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I5ZIomet8Yk?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:oogle:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/I5ZIomet8Yk?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:oogle:

sander, please make it sound like this ^

That is the plan, yes :) I'll be making my own headers and full exhaust system. This one is good too (skip to the tunnel part):

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9zZcAJ-NEKo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Test fitting the Ford Hydroboost unit, it fits like a glove. Even the slight upward angle of it like it is mounted in the mustang is dead on. The TB's will be moved towards the front for easier access and hoses etc.

Plenty of space on both sides for the engine mounts and nice headers. I'm a bit surprised at how much space there is. Of course the 60 degree V angle of a V12 helps with that. I might end up modifying the oil filter housing and moving the filter to get more space for the header for cylinder 7.

Last edited:
is it possible to swap the intake manifolds left/right? that would fix the throttle body problem.
and that tunnelshot is great, we need more tunnels

No that won't work, it's 1 big intake manifold and it slopes down at the front a bit for hood clearance.

You sir are my hero. Subscribed. Keep it coming!

Thank you sir, always good to have the god of hammers on my side

With plenty of V12 torque on tap, seems like you might be able to cut the runners shorter - and re-attach a plenum that has the throttle positioned where you can deal with it.

Come to think of it, ditch the mani --- 12 stack of ITB's....between the intake and the exhaust sound....well, you win. 2 starters?

Back