• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

850 (M56 Swap Content)

slo854T

I got started on the swap this weekend. Saturday night we got the old transmission out, and the new one in. Pretty much straight forward, Thanks to the wizardry of Crandandall. He got all of the pics, hint, hint.

We slung the engine and trans with a adjustable height, strut-to-strut bar. Instead of droppng the entire engine, we just dropped the subframe out from under it and lowered the motor down a little. I thought that this would be the hard part...

Yesterday, I got the interior all torn apart. It took me six Hours to get it all. I had some trouble getting the shifter cable throught the dash. Then I realized that the whole center console came out while the cable is still connected to the shifter. I also had some back pain while lying on my floorboard (upside down) for two hours, those pedals are tight with the steering column still in place.

The new clutch Master Cylinder was a pain, but we got it bolted up.(We had to take it back out to hook-up the lines though, like three times!

I couldn't get the new pedal box in, but again Dan is a f-ing magician! He got it in about three minutes, when I tried for about 45. Everything else was straight forward from there. Hook up everything that you need, wrap connectors that you dont (so it dont rattle), bolt it up.

That center console looks mean with that shifter all solid and everything cleaned-up! We will see when I can get it finished, the journey continues...

I know it ain't a 240, but TB helped out alott! Thanks for your help guys, this has been so much fun!

Enjoy! I hope you didn't jump right into all the short-shifting brass-instead-of-rubber-bushings madness that is sweeping Volvospeed (and here to a lesser extent).

The M56 is a very nice transmission, but I like the stock shifter personally. It's a notchy transmission, so anywhere you eliminate rubber or shorten the throw, you'll amplify the notchy feel.

How much is left before it works?

I feel your pain on that pedal assembly and master cylinder. I did the master while the engine was out ;) And the pedals just require patience...

No, I took your advise on the shifter. I bought all the stuff, but I wanna see what it feels like first.

I'm planning on shortening the shift before I put the bushings in, if I do it. I wanna see what works best:)

I've gotta hook-up the clutch line, re-install the (used)slave, connect into the brake fluid resivoir, solidify the master cylinder, then bleed it and all that jazz. Then I gotta put my seats back in, hook-up the brake/clutch sensor switches (which I am not sure about the clutch switch, what does it do?), put the little plastic cover under the dash. Hook-up the battery and intake shiz. Fill the trans, pop in my new ECU, I think it's probably one more solid day of work to get it going nice.

i know when you are busting your knuckles, you do not think about pictures, but did you by any chance take any pictures?

I did a clutch on my 850 last fall, and while I did not have to do the interior or the hydraulics, I'm very glad I'm done and would not have to do that again in a long while (keeping my fingers cross).

Cheers!

Yeah, pics are coming. I gotta talk Dan into posting them, he got some good ones.

Eric, I'm upset that you live in Florida. I want to see your car! That beer sounds pretty good too... maybe someday.

Finally got all the pics uploaded. Swap was easier than I thought it was going to be so far.

img00015200911071714.th.jpg

img00009200911071433.th.jpg

img00011200911071625.th.jpg

img00012200911071626.th.jpg

img00017200911071735.th.jpg

img00016200911071735.th.jpg

img00014200911071713.th.jpg

img00013200911071713.th.jpg

img00018200911071735.th.jpg

img00019200911071742.th.jpg

img00020200911071900.th.jpg

img00026200911081440.th.jpg

img00027200911081441.th.jpg

img00035200911082245.th.jpg

img00034200911082049.th.jpg

img00033200911082048.th.jpg

img00032200911082048.th.jpg

img00028200911081443.th.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks buddy. Now my pain has been revealed.

I like seeing that fresh flywheel one last time.

I really was proud of the picture of the center console all put back together. That was a long day, goodnight TB.

Not driving yet, gotta hook-up the clutch hydrolics, intake piping, and the battery. I am buying new brakes this week as well:cool:

Yeah, I'm willing to help you. Do you (or one of your friends) have a lift?

does anyone know what wires on the harness can be spliced to get rid of the code that says there is no connection between the tranny and the tcu?

It's done! I got all the clutch hydrolics hooked-up and bled-out on saturday. Everyone told me it would be an entirely different car, they were correct. I haven't recieved my new ECU yet, so we'll see on that. The check engine light is on, along with the flashy trans light, I don't have reverse lights yet, but I think that's about it. The clutch feels great, there is a little of a shudder, (only sometimes, under load) but I'm gonna drive it a bit and get used to it.
I'm stoked though, I got new brakes, my front rotors should be in today (slight upgrade to power slotted, pbr pads). It is going to be time for some good winter tires too...

Awesome! Was it worth it? If you're changing rotors, you may as well upgrade to the 302mm brakes from newer cars (same caliper, different caliper mounting bracket-- factory Volvo part that costs 50 bucks for the pair or something like that). The only catch being if your winters are on 15" steels then they won't clear the brakes...

Yeah, it was worth every cent and drip of sweat. I'm gonna worry about getting bigger rotors another time. I already got all the parts, they were cheap.

I am running 15's, I keeps 'em clean though...

Back