• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The DIY Panhard and Torque Rod Thread

canyoneagle

Striving for mediocrity
In considering my various options for getting my car up to snuff (sporty DD), and like many others here, I've been looking at the available 3rd party (IPD, Kaplhenke) adjustable torque rods and panhard rod.

While the Kaplhenke rods are really nice, I think they are overkill for my application (price and tech), and I've read that the IPD rods are a pain due to the fact that they cannot be adjusted without unhooking one side.

I've only come across a couple of threads with DIY projects, and found THIS one to be particularly useful due to the recommendations for hardware (and vendor links).

That said, I think a dedicated DIY thread would be a good addition to offer a resource to others in the TB community. So, here it is.
I'll share what I can of my own process, but invite any and all who have done this (or know of good resources/guides or vendors) to participate and share.

Photos and step by step info, with parts lists / links are particularly useful. Hey, maybe someone with mechanical drafting chops could drop some dimensioned drawings/sketches.

Naturally, any considerations, criticisms, pitfalls, hazards, and warnings are also useful.

With context being so vital, please be sure to include model and year. I will add a second and third post as placekeepers to consolidate information for threads and resources.

Go.

Last edited:
3/4"-16 thread (RH/LH) (HERE) They have a couple other options (length and coatings)

They also have the tubing adapters, but I *think* I picked up mine from McMaster-Carr.

i did this. cheap and it works...
14462737_1128325993924398_7510512334941305365_n.jpg

14485111_1128326067257724_4546848858773091974_n.jpg

3/4"-16 thread (RH/LH) (HERE) They have a couple other options (length and coatings)

They also have the tubing adapters, but I *think* I picked up mine from McMaster-Carr.

If you get a chance, can you post link to tubing adapters. I'm going the same route and like to get this done asap.

Did you just weld a nut to pan hard bar? That's what it looks like you did and that would be very simple to do and can be accomplished pretty quickly.

Wouldn't be my first choice...

I used the threaded bungs to give more thread engagement, as well as having more material to weld to. If you noticed, I drilled holes in the panhard to spot weld a couple additional locations.

Steinjager lists their bungs HERE.

McMaster HERE

This seems like a project that if you need that much information and numbers from others you shouldn't be doing it.

This seems like a project that if you need that much information and numbers from others you shouldn't be doing it.

Perhaps my engineering and construction background (I'm used to specs) are making it a bit too OCD, but the idea is to make a central place where anyone can come to get info for their own projects and to share their own advice from doing it. I know there's more than one way to skin a cat, but certainly some best practices can emerge.

Isn't that one of the main benefits of an online forum, to share such info?

Last edited:
This is timely as my 95 945T recently got lowering springs, inch and a half or so, and now there is a bit of rumble under accel esp at lower speeds, which I attribute to a slightly out of line driveshaft. I was thinking of just removing it, cutting out a small section and weld it back together. 'small section' would be researched, but if this project gets actual numbers this would help.

Back